Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 15-09-2012, 20:12   #2071
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwelin View Post
Nope i moved house recently, if you remember i sent you a PM about it, i am getting no reduction and on no special deal.
You must be. It only cost so much to upgrade if you are currently on a reduction that would have to be lost.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2012, 21:40   #2072
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
You must be. It only cost so much to upgrade if you are currently on a reduction that would have to be lost.
nope i am actually paying more now than i use to in the other house, i am paying £45 a month where i was paying i think it was £30 for 6 months but that has stopped and i am being charged the full amount now.

I have

BB XL
TV M+
Phone XL
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2012, 22:18   #2073
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden aura

I just wish VM wouldn't announce upgrades so long in advance..I would have been in happy ignorance.
Old 18-09-2012, 16:50   #2074
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Question Re: Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I just wish VM wouldn't announce upgrades so long in advance..I would have been in happy ignorance.
Yet by comparison,when it comes to new TV channels...they tell you nothing until they have actually launched!
Old 18-09-2012, 17:39   #2075
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Because they can do what they like with their own network but not their TV service which relies on carriage contracts with other broadcasters and the talks for which are always confidential up until the deal is done.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 19:25   #2076
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Because they can do what they like with their own network but not their TV service which relies on carriage contracts with other broadcasters and the talks for which are always confidential up until the deal is done.

Even when deals are done,they still don't tell their customers. Thank God for Media Boy who gives a great service to us.
Old 18-09-2012, 19:40   #2077
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Well i have reduced my broadband this morning from 100 meg to 60 meg until they sort out the high utilisation on all the upstreams in my area.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 19:53   #2078
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

has your double downstream ETA been met Sirus
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 19:56   #2079
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
has your double downstream ETA been met Sirius
No,

but we have moved to 6 downstreams and 1 upstream. Over utilisation coincided with the local colleges and university starting back.

It down to bittorrent users if you ask me and why VM cannot use heavy traffic shaping on bittorrent at peak times i don't know. Bittorrent because of its nature hammers the upstreams

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 00:47   #2080
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
No,

but we have moved to 6 downstreams and 1 upstream. Over utilisation coincided with the local colleges and university starting back.

It down to bittorrent users if you ask me and why VM cannot use heavy traffic shaping on bittorrent at peak times i don't know. Bittorrent because of its nature hammers the upstreams
yeah your graph looks rough and in my view you done the best thing by downgrading.

My area has 120mbit coming in october and my normal upstream looks nearly as bad as yours, I found one which is ok although still congested so for me not all upstreams are bad. But as far as I can tell my downstreams are congested because moving to a better upstream didnt fix my download speeds.

For me VM need a rethink of their mindset.

First they have to accept they prepared to lose customers who are a hinderence, not get customers at all costs. When they accept that I would do the following.
Set a upload usage limit thats suitable for people doing things like uploading videos, photos, emails. But does not allow 24/7 torrenting. eg. on a 100mbit service I would think something like 30gig to be very reasonable and that should go a long way to reducing torrenting.
Then add in the AUP forbid servers been run on the residential service. Want to run a server? buy a business service. Gaming servers could be waived.
Rollout this new enhanced STM that has been in the rumours for over a year, I assume at the moment either VM have canned the idea or they cant get it to work. Comcast run a traffic management thats on 24/7 its dynamic, and more effective. It doesnt specifically throttle things like torrents but would more effectively throttle torrent abusers than VMs current system.
Add more upstream channels without increasing speeds further, I think each area needs at least US 6 channels with 2 sets of 3 bonded channels.
Use all 8 downstream channels without further increasing speeds.
Increase prices for the higher tiered products, I am on the lowest broadband package and was offered 120mbit the new top tier for just an extra £5 a month, thats ridicolous.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 08:32   #2081
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Due to having a bad service for 6 months, downloading torrents is the only thing that my connection is good for. Used to have bandwidth usage of 20 to 35 GB a month for combined types of traffic but mostly played a couple of games online. Packetloss and oversubscribed UBR made the games and streaming not possible.

The fix date is December, 9 months after it was reported as being a problem but through an accident got switched to another UBR. This UBR has the same issues and same fix date but did get the speed upgrade when it switched, which was just lucky I guess. The connection is still only good enough for browsing slowly and torrents though.

Would have switched providers when Infinity hit here but due to move house and was easier to stay with VM for now.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:40   #2082
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Well apparently, mine is supposed to be "doubled" by the end of October.

Quote:
Your area is being upgraded

We estimate your area will be ready by the end of: October 2012

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:44   #2083
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Mines come forward a few months.

Quote:
Your area's upgrade is coming soon

We estimate your area will be ready between: December 2012 and February 2013
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 16:17   #2084
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Well apparently, mine is supposed to be "doubled" by the end of October.
mine is saying the same , so only 3 weeks till i get 120mb woooo
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 18:07   #2085
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
mine is saying the same , so only 3 weeks till i get 120mb woooo
He's quoting the 50-100Mb upgrade, not the 100-120Mb upgrade
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote