23-06-2006, 12:13
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nottingham
Age: 42
Services: VM 10Mb Cable (L), Phone (M) and TV (M)
Posts: 76
|
NTL in Nottingham...?
Ok my last thread was full of totally contradicting reports so I thought I'd make it a bit more specific!
What's the NTL service like in Nottingham? Good speeds and reliability? I'm looking to get a 4Mb cable connection at Castle Marina. Will the students in Lenton be slowing the network down a lot?!
Look like I may have to make the jump whether I like it or not, as my ADSL line is refusing to sync at the moment
Cheers,
Suman
|
|
|
23-06-2006, 14:29
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: chavvy Nottingham
Age: 42
Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
Posts: 7,489
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
NTL in Nottingham is fine, they inherited a pretty good network from Diamond Cable and the uptime is pretty much 100%.
As for the students well I couldn't possibly comment having been one myself! But I do know when on campus all the file sharing apps did occasionally slow the connection down but not more than you'd notice. In any case NTL's AUP lot will clamp down on anything causing other users problems.
I'm the other side of Nottm to you (NG4) but no reason why the connection should be a problem.
|
|
|
23-06-2006, 23:18
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Notts
Services: VM 30Mb, Tivo 1TB
Posts: 225
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
In NG8 on 2Meg, always been solid 1.9Mbps, had the upgrade to 4Meg this week and it's now around 2.8Mbps, but I'm using a router & haven't tried direct yet. The other PC on the router gets around 3.2Mbps, so I think I have some tinkering to do, but I'll wait & see if it settles down once the upgrades are all done. It never seems to lose connection though, maybe once in 6 months & then it was only down for a short time.
|
|
|
23-06-2006, 23:54
|
#4
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,223
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
Nottingham and surrounding areas have a pretty solid network, due to the investment of Diamond Cable before ntl bought them out in 1999.
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
24-06-2006, 13:04
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 100
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
Im in NG1, and generally the connection if spot on, but occasionally i get massive problems with it. It has been amazing lately though, since the 4mb upgrades and the students starting to go home for summer.
|
|
|
24-06-2006, 18:59
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nottingham
Age: 42
Services: VM 10Mb Cable (L), Phone (M) and TV (M)
Posts: 76
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
Cool, sounds good. And NTL 4MB at £25 vs. 2MB DSL for £25 + £12 is a no brainer!
Cheers,
Suman
|
|
|
24-06-2006, 20:33
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 62
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
ng11 ,on 10 meg get it most of the time ,also 17.49 a month ,got me bill for june .17.49 ,nice one
|
|
|
27-06-2006, 11:47
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nottingham
Age: 42
Services: VM 10Mb Cable (L), Phone (M) and TV (M)
Posts: 76
|
Re: NTL in Nottingham...?
Well today is the last day I can cancel my DSL without being charged for this month... unless anyone has any huge objections I'm cancelling (it's not synced anyway!) and signing up to NTL
Cheers,
Suman
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:54.
|