Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 22:29   #1
sine2020
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2
sine2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Hi Everyone,

I've just signed up with you. I'm trying to find out if anyone is having the same serious speed issues as I am getting with Telewest in the M29 area of Manchester.
I foolishly left BT (1Mb) to wait for the Blueyonder 10MB elite service. I signed up in October 2005 to a VERY poor 4MB service. I was on the phone to them the day I signed up. I was getting speeds of around 500k to 1mb. This went on until Feb 2006 when the backbone was upgraded to the dual 10Gb circuits. I was still receiving the problems and got an email welcoming me to the '10mb' club!
It is now May and I am STILL receiving a service that is so poor that I am considering speaking to the governing bodies.
I now - STILL - get speeds up to 1MB at best. I normally get speeds of about 60kbps or on a good day 200-300kbps. They are NEVER stable and never get better.

Blueyonder have told me the UBR I connect to is on about 98% usage because I am in a high contention area. As far as I am concerned this is totally unacceptable. I pay good money for a 10Mb service yet am getting far less that my old, reliable 1MB BT line. I never rang BT with a fault in the 2 years I was with them. I have not gone more than 2 weeks with Blueyonder except for the last month because I am just sick of speaking to them.
Their reply is... "This is a very localised fault. We are looking at a fix but it is with budgeting. We do not know when it is going to be resolved."
They have told this to me since joining in October 2005. The fault will not be shown in the usual place on the website because it does not effect enough people. This means to me they will not rush or possible deal with this.
I would love to hear if anyone else has this 'fob off' told to them.


Cheers

Simon P

si-net.org
sine2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2006, 07:56   #2
Graham M
Inactive
 
Graham M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

OK no offence, you have been receiving this level of service for 6 months, fair enough, you have not been receiving it, you have been told your area is oversubscribed, so why on earth are you still subscribing to 10Meg rather than downgrading to a lower tier and receiving the same, if not better speed?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:27   #3
sine2020
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2
sine2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Well so far I've had every bill refunded up to this month. For the next 5 months I am getting reduced billing paying only £15pm. I'm still not getting acceptable speeds so have signed up to talktalk broadband (4Mb in my area). Assuming it is still as stable and reliable as my BTYahoo line was I will get a stable and constant 4Mb. I will be ending my Blueyonder line ASAP. Doubt they will let me out of the contract but at 1/20 of the elite package speed i'm hoping they will cut some slack.

cheers

Simon
sine2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:35   #4
Graham M
Inactive
 
Graham M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine2020
so have signed up to talktalk broadband (4Mb in my area). Assuming it is still as stable and reliable as my BTYahoo line was I will get a stable and constant 4Mb.
Even though they block multiple ports designed to stop P2P traffic getting through that can have bad adverse affects on online gaming? Dont expect a good service from them.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 23:57   #5
LHTEC
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1
LHTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine2020
Well so far I've had every bill refunded up to this month. For the next 5 months I am getting reduced billing paying only £15pm. I'm still not getting acceptable speeds so have signed up to talktalk broadband (4Mb in my area). Assuming it is still as stable and reliable as my BTYahoo line was I will get a stable and constant 4Mb. I will be ending my Blueyonder line ASAP. Doubt they will let me out of the contract but at 1/20 of the elite package speed i'm hoping they will cut some slack.

cheers

Simon
Hi Simon.

Im in the M29 10Mb club as well and am as fed up with the whole situation as you are.

The attitude of customer services makes me think their way of resolving the situation is P**S OFF as many as possible using that URB to deal with the contention ratio! It so bad im seriously considering complaining to trading standards about them.

How did you find your speed for talk talk? ive looked at the website and all it says is it is available to me. All other ADSL systems on our exchange seem to have a max speed of 2.5 Mb.
LHTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 17:31   #6
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
Age: 44
Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Posts: 2,816
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

i had the same problem with them ages ago, but i just told them i wanted to be put on a another upload channel after argueing with them for 2 hours and that finally fixed the problem and i got 10mb speeds but now i have downgraded to 2mb for finacal reasons and i get betters and more constant speeds

one problem with adsl is i doubt you will get 4mb unless oyur near the exchange and you will probally find there is caps

have you also thought about the possabilty that where your downloading from can not give 10mb speeds uplaod so oyu can downlaod at 10mb? cause i found that after they fix the problems majority fo sevrers couldnt handle it or where blocking it not sure which

good luck on adsl though
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 10:44   #7
James Henry
Permanently Banned
 
James Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 562
James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23
i had the same problem with them ages ago, but i just told them i wanted to be put on a another upload channel after argueing with them for 2 hours and that finally fixed the problem and i got 10mb speeds but now i have downgraded to 2mb for finacal reasons and i get betters and more constant speeds

one problem with adsl is i doubt you will get 4mb unless oyur near the exchange and you will probally find there is caps

have you also thought about the possabilty that where your downloading from can not give 10mb speeds uplaod so oyu can downlaod at 10mb? cause i found that after they fix the problems majority fo sevrers couldnt handle it or where blocking it not sure which

good luck on adsl though
The fact BY have told him that there are congestion issues is a fairly good hint that it's not the fault of the servers he's downloading from.

The majority of ADSL users get 4Mbit and above by the way
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 11:05   #8
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
Age: 44
Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Posts: 2,816
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
The majority of ADSL users get 4Mbit and above by the way
i know i dnt get anywhere near 4mb on adsl but i suspect that cause i am about 5-6miles from teh exchange unless there one close ri dnt know about
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 12:10   #9
James Henry
Permanently Banned
 
James Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 562
James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23
i know i dnt get anywhere near 4mb on adsl but i suspect that cause i am about 5-6miles from teh exchange unless there one close ri dnt know about
Yeah that'll be it dude but pls understand you're an exception rather than the rule, there's some official gack about it somewhere from Ofcom.
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 12:56   #10
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
Age: 44
Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Posts: 2,816
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

i dnt really bother to be honest 1-2mb speed is all you need over that speed is either for file sharing or jsut getting updates faster but im not the type that in a rush i cna wait for it
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 07:28   #11
hoofner
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 21
hoofner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Sine, I expect they will let you end your bb contract early - they offered to do the same for me with similar circumstances. Fortunetely for me they fixed the congestion problems in my area (after around 4 months of refunded bills) and I didnt need to cancel - now I pay the regular full amount for my connection.

They will most likely force you to continue any other services you have with them, but that's possibly a good thing.
hoofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 12:14   #12
Worthy
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5
Worthy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Yes, I'm in the M29 area as well and I get absolutely atrocious speeds. Surely there must be something we can do about this if we all complain to trading standards? I've seen three Telewest vans installing broadband in the past week too. They just keep piling people onboard meaning it's just going to get worse. I am absolutely sick to the back teeth with them and their pathetic excuse for customer support.
Worthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 18:07   #13
andymt
Inactive
 
andymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London, England
Age: 40
Services: Telewest cable 10mb + telewest console gaming pack
Posts: 148
andymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to andymt
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

I'm on the blueyonder elite. I have no problems. When downloading from a fast server I usually get over 900kbps download speed. I can get much faster from a really good UK server.
I live in London and my telewest box is at the end of the road. I also have the best tv package with sky sports and movies, and the best phone package.
andymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 10:31   #14
J.D
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Age: 45
Services: 10 Meg and 24/7 calls
Posts: 91
J.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really niceJ.D is just really nice
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymt
I'm on the blueyonder elite. I have no problems. When downloading from a fast server I usually get over 900kbps download speed. I can get much faster from a really good UK server.
I live in London and my telewest box is at the end of the road. I also have the best tv package with sky sports and movies, and the best phone package.
Are you anywhere near your BT exchange Andy?
J.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 12:24   #15
andymt
Inactive
 
andymt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London, England
Age: 40
Services: Telewest cable 10mb + telewest console gaming pack
Posts: 148
andymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enoughandymt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to andymt
Re: How slow can 10Mb go? - Blueyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D
Are you anywhere near your BT exchange Andy?
yep 1.5km from the mortlake exchange. However my line is dacsed. Hopefully im gonna get it removed soon.
andymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:49.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum