Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | router & 10mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

router & 10mb

Old 16-04-2006, 20:04   #1
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough
router & 10mb

hi guys just a quick question will this router work with ntl's 10 mb connection, having to replace my ageing befsr41 which cannot handle the new speeds http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034
many thanks

bobna
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2006, 20:29   #2
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Re: router & 10mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna
hi guys just a quick question will this router work with ntl's 10 mb connection, having to replace my ageing befsr41 which cannot handle the new speeds http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034
many thanks

bobna
Hold on there big guy. I use a Linksys BEFSR41 and my 10meg works flawlessly. I am running v3 with the latest firmware. 1.5 on the router. What version is your router and what firmware are you running.

Also note, its most of the older modems and stb's that can not handle the 10meg speeds.
Old 16-04-2006, 20:40   #3
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
Hold on there big guy. I use a Linksys BEFSR41 and my 10meg works flawlessly. I am running v3 with the latest firmware. 1.5 on the router.
Same version, same firmware version, and I'll second that. Bob, let us know the version details of your router, what cable modem/stb you have (as Slyder mentioned). Its unlikely to be the router thats preventing you getting full 10Mb.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 23:37   #4
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelfruitcase
Same version, same firmware version, and I'll second that. Bob, let us know the version details of your router, what cable modem/stb you have (as Slyder mentioned). Its unlikely to be the router thats preventing you getting full 10Mb.
The V1 and V2 BEFSR41 only had 10Mbps half duplex WAN ports and the internal processor/latest firmware seems only capable of 5Mbps on this port. I'm sure my V2 purchased in 2001 wasn't a brand new model at the time - they were not designed for todays 10Mbps service!

And yes the WRT54GS works fine with NTL, but the latest V5 are not as good earlier versions which run Linux which allows 3rd part firmware with extr afeatures to be used.
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 23:41   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
many thanks

bobna
Yes the Linksys WRT54GSUK will work fine. That's the exact deal i got from Pcworld a few months ago. The version i got from Pcworld was version 4 so hopefully they will still be selling that one as it means you are able to install hacked firmware if you wish too.
Old 17-04-2006, 18:53   #6
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

i do have the version 1 of the befsr41, running through a sacm
thanks guys will have to get one and change the firmware if it a version 5
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 20:25   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
i do have the version 1 of the befsr41, running through a sacm
thanks guys will have to get one and change the firmware if it a version 5
You can't change the firmware of the WRT54GS 'IF' it's a version 5 of the router and you really don't need to unless you want to add extra features. It will work perfectly fine.
Old 19-04-2006, 19:18   #8
flashyphotos
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100/10 BB, Freeview HD
flashyphotos is an unknown quantity at this point

The Ones in PCWorld on the current offer of £49.99 with a free USB adaptor (Or free PCI adaptor if you kick up a fuss!) are Version 5.1 so no good for hacked firmware, but still a damn good deal for the price

Cheers

Richard
flashyphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 23:17   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

According to THIS site the WRT54G v5 and WRT54GS v5 are now hackable.