Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Where is HD from NTL? When?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Where is HD from NTL? When?

Old 21-03-2006, 13:25   #1
fcollins
Inactive

fcollins is an unknown quantity at this point
Where Is HDTV From ntl.....when?

is there any news of ntl broadcasting high def. i am seriously considering switching to SKY! Sky has atleast addressed high def. and supposed broadcasting this year. ntl seems to have "head buried in sand" policy. i have spoken to various sales and technical people from ntl and some denied knowing what high def tv is about. Strange i think!
fcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2006, 14:20   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: Where Is Hdtv From Ntl.....when?

If you search in these forums you'll find this question asked often.
The word I got from CS staff is that a 3 tuner PVR with HDTV will be introduced within a year.

The Telewest part of NTL is already broadcasting some HD content- $ky aren't yet.

There would be more to HDTV than just renting out a few STBs and flicking a switch!!
Old 21-03-2006, 14:21   #3
gooner4life
cf.geek

Services: SkyQ 2TB - Multiroom x3, VM 350Mb cable broadband.
gooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpackgooner4life has a very nice sixpack

November apparantly so my contacts tell me, apparantly a one off fee for the STB (which you still rent) and no increase on subscription.
gooner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 15:07   #4
McYorkie
Inactive

McYorkie is a jewel in the roughMcYorkie is a jewel in the roughMcYorkie is a jewel in the roughMcYorkie is a jewel in the roughMcYorkie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner4life
November apparantly so my contacts tell me, apparantly a one off fee for the STB (which you still rent) and no increase on subscription.
Interesting information there - I wonder whether that one off fee would just be for the PVR functionality or also include full access to channels such as Sky One HD or National Geographic HD? If thats the case than they may be onto a better deal than the SkyHD pricing model is indicating for their HD service.

However, we've had many false dawns for PVR/HDTV on ntl: so far, I'll be amazed if this actually happens this year - it just shows how better organised the ex-TW areas have been in actually getting their version of TV Drive to market before Sky has, even allowing for the lack of HD content at present.

Having said that, the specifications for the MPEG4 version do sound fantastic - the usual issue will be getting the temperamental Liberate software to work properly on them without reboots being regularly needed.
McYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 18:29   #5
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that NTL will be using C rather than javascript
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 18:54   #6
enjoymarcus
Inactive

enjoymarcus will become famous soon enoughenjoymarcus will become famous soon enoughenjoymarcus will become famous soon enough

The PVR better have at least a 500gig HDD included :p
enjoymarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 19:02   #7
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoymarcus
will most likely be 160gb
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 19:29   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoymarcus
Very unlikely. 160 or maybe 250, no more.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 19:35   #9
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
Very unlikely. 160 or maybe 250, no more.
I think 160Gig will be the norm, and more than enough to be honest
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 08:59   #10
marker
Inactive

marker is on a distinguished roadmarker is on a distinguished road

BAd news regarding HD from ntl:

The new CTO is the ex Telewest CTO, he has just binned all mpeg4 Hi-Def tests and binned the fecken excellent mpeg4 box that SA had built especially for ntl:. Guess what they will be using. yep you got it right, mpeg2 through Telewest's huge mother of a pvr.....

A sad day for ntl's advancement....
marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 09:19   #11
dayloon
cf.member

dayloon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker
BAd news regarding HD from ntl:

The new CTO is the ex Telewest CTO, he has just binned all mpeg4 Hi-Def tests and binned the fecken excellent mpeg4 box that SA had built especially for ntl:. Guess what they will be using. yep you got it right, mpeg2 through Telewest's huge mother of a pvr.....

A sad day for ntl's advancement....
I hope thats not true. Whats your source ?
dayloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 09:40   #12
marker
Inactive

marker is on a distinguished roadmarker is on a distinguished road

Cant reveal my source... But I know it is true...

Believe me i was truly ****ed off when i heard that, and so were plenty of others...
marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 11:24   #13
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Sigh, I'll live in hope. Maybe the grand plan from ntl is to run the HD channels on the leaving analogue tv space.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 12:22   #14
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayloon
I hope thats not true. Whats your source ?
It's true.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 12:44   #15
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadplay
It's true.
fekin eejits.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote