NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
13-02-2005, 07:43
|
#46
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by scastle
But, you are talking there about patches that will have been tested by the suppliers. NTL write their own software, (you, presumably do not write the patches and updates you install) so it would be fairer to compare NTL's release schedules with Microsoft's. Microsoft have been known to release patches up to two months after the problem they patch is revealed, and up until last year, they were still patching NT 4 (which was released in 1994). Funny how they don't seem to be following the NASDAQ rules.
I personally cannot believe that ANY network manager (which you say you are) would be seriously advocating NTL would release software to a network serving tens (or hundreds) of thousands of users without adequate testing and planning.
Still, I will echo what other people have said. If NTL are not providing a reliable service for you, there are alternatives..
|
Well the present release is not working correctly how did that happen. It seems as though there is a lack of either ability willingness and/or funding to the software/management team
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 10:13
|
#47
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 45
Services: SkyQ 2TB - Multiroom x3,
VM 350Mb cable broadband.
Posts: 702
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by kzthou
Well the present release is not working correctly how did that happen. It seems as though there is a lack of either ability willingness and/or funding to the software/management team
|
Im sorry but you are either lying about your career or you are so stubborn you do not care if it makes you look ignorant.
The software will be beta tested on a select few STB's, then it will be downloaded to some more STB's the testers will then report any further bugs 'THAT THEY HAVE NOTICED' then NTL will make some changes and it will be tested again.
Then if all is ok it will be downloaded at a suitable time.
This does not guarantee that the software will be bug free, no software is, you should know this.
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 11:55
|
#48
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
Posts: 5,983
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
I think we're missing a key point here - an ntl STB software download isn't equivalent to an MS Windows patch - it's more equivalent to a service pack or full OS upgrade *plus* reinstalling all the applications, and if you're saying that a full OS upgrade must be done within 48 hours of release I reserve the right to laugh uproariously.
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 12:56
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Ok I am greatly Pi**ed off with NTl's attitude and their ability to fix problems. In 2 months I have had loss of channels on a regular basis and despite many visits by engineers got nowhere. I do not want to go to SKY as I would need two dishes (planning problems) to acieve the same number of channels. My inlaws who live with us cannot afford the charges. Ntl's are high enough. So for my £1800 per year I would expect a better level of service i.e a faster response to fix the software problem with widescreen not 8 months. A fix for my loss of channels for which I sometimes, when the losses are bad need an engineer during the week ,which generally (not always) means 9-5. (and half a day off work)
Microsoft are (and this is from the horses mouth) releasing patches and were finding (6 months ago) that the "hackers" were then writing exploits within two weeks of the release. I am talking patches.
why can't NTL release a patch or patched release of their software only making the necessary modifications for major problems or put the carrier signal back to cure the problem.
I have found that i need to reboot at least 3 times an evening to cure this and if I am recording the program whilst out I then cannot "fix" the wider than widescreen problem. The software is turning the Samsung boxes into a faulty status.
Why are you defending NTL so much. The service they should provide can be excellent and promises much. But the attitude of the company as a whole seems to be once we have you contracted we do not care about you.
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 13:23
|
#50
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stafford
Age: 52
Services: Sky World
300k BB
NTL Phone
Posts: 2,399
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
kzthou,
Who told you would need 2 dishes for sky to recieve the same channels?
At the moment you are ranting like a person that has been possessed.
The argument of "I pay a lot more than you and I should get better service" argument has been dragged up before and you will not get any preferential treatment at all.
Do you actually know how NTL is run? If not, stop speculating how they develop and release patches.
As already stated by others in this thread and reading the quote from your post about NASDAQ rules, that is 48 hours from RELEASE of a patch, so how can you apply a patch that hasn't been released yet??
No one is defending NTL here, I no longer have their TV service, but I'm defending against mindless rants of others.
If you don't want NTL move to a telewest area then and give them a try!!
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 13:33
|
#51
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire
Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
Posts: 4,536
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
A single satellite dish can support EIGHT digiboxes or FOUR Sky+ boxes if fitted with an Octo LNB.
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 13:37
|
#52
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by poolking
kzthou,
Who told you would need 2 dishes for sky to recieve the same channels?
At the moment you are ranting like a person that has been possessed.
The argument of "I pay a lot more than you and I should get better service" argument has been dragged up before and you will not get any preferential treatment at all.
Do you actually know how NTL is run? If not, stop speculating how they develop and release patches.
As already stated by others in this thread and reading the quote from your post about NASDAQ rules, that is 48 hours from RELEASE of a patch, so how can you apply a patch that hasn't been released yet??
No one is defending NTL here, I no longer have their TV service, but I'm defending against mindless rants of others.
If you don't want NTL move to a telewest area then and give them a try!!
|
Sky offer 4 "boxes" from 1 dish (I thave been told ?) So for 5 I would need 2 dishes + 2 sky subscriptions or is this wrong please put me right if this is wrong. or at least clarify the position.
I do not expect preferential treatment. How many others are affected. So how much are NTL raking in for a poor service. I know NTL are in debt but they need to try to keep their present customers and recruit more, to keep paying this off. This surely is not the way to do it
Telewest / NTL Same company ? same owners I dont know
It doesn't matter how they are run. It would seem badly if it takes 8 months to fix a problem that affects their Samsung boxes?
This is not a mindless rant. It is just the outpouring of frustration.
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 14:52
|
#53
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: A House
Age: 42
Services: All
Posts: 592
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by kzthou
Ok I am greatly Pi**ed off with NTl's attitude and their ability to fix problems. In 2 months I have had loss of channels on a regular basis and despite many visits by engineers got nowhere.
|
Has it occoured that this could be an account problem and not one actually with your equiptment? DO you have sufficient signals coming into the property? having so many boxes might require additional cabling to be pulled to the omni if the present cabling is not sufficient.
Quote:
|
I do not want to go to SKY as I would need two dishes (planning problems) to acieve the same number of channels. My inlaws who live with us cannot afford the charges.
|
Good, don't go, sky are evil.
Quote:
|
Ntl's are high enough. So for my £1800 per year I would expect a better level of service i.e a faster response to fix the software problem with widescreen not 8 months.
|
Get it escalated to a T/L or Manager. Even better if you goto the MD's office as these get fault calls dealt with same day. Also, if your concerned about time being taken off work, go for a saturday or after hours appointment.
Quote:
|
Why are you defending NTL so much. The service they should provide can be excellent and promises much. But the attitude of the company as a whole seems to be once we have you contracted we do not care about you.
|
For the vast majority of customers the service is excellent (ok, lets not go that far) Everyone I know, family, friends, workmates, have hardly ever had problems with ntl. When they do, it's just a case of something our end rather then with the customers equiptment so no need to wait in for a technician to show.
Hope you get your problems rectified asap, check your PM's!
Paul
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 19:50
|
#54
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by paul_v42
Has it occoured that this could be an account problem and not one actually with your equiptment? DO you have sufficient signals coming into the property? having so many boxes might require additional cabling to be pulled to the omni if the present cabling is not sufficient.
Have two cables running into thehouse
Good, don't go, sky are evil.
Get it escalated to a T/L or Manager. Even better if you goto the MD's office as these get fault calls dealt with same day. Also, if your concerned about time being taken off work, go for a saturday or after hours appointment.
Saturday could take 5 days to fix weekday evenings at least 3
For the vast majority of customers the service is excellent (ok, lets not go that far) Everyone I know, family, friends, workmates, have hardly ever had problems with ntl. When they do, it's just a case of something our end rather then with the customers equiptment so no need to wait in for a technician to show.
Hope you get your problems rectified asap, check your PM's!
I never had any problems before moving house 4 months ago have been a customer for 4 yrs plus
Paul
|
|
|
|
13-02-2005, 20:07
|
#55
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: A House
Age: 42
Services: All
Posts: 592
|
Re: NTL Samsung Box - a mind of its own!
"Saturday could take 5 days to fix weekday evenings at least 3"
How do you come to this conclusion? How many techs have you actually had round? Who have you talked to at customer services/faults etc ? If I came accross such a problem I can promise you would not get such problems. For you to have this problem for so long I find it unbelivebale. It can't be a case of techs coming round, fixing i and then it becoming fauly again, this simply doesnt happen with such occourance.
Something must not be getting fed back to the office staff who deal with your area.
As much as we dislike escalations I suggest you get it as high as you can to get a technician out to give a complete survey of what needs doing. Hopfully we can then work together to get your services back to how they should be
Paul
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:42.
|