Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 22:12   #1
Juan
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Wales
Posts: 148
Juan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels

I have an analogue STB and I recently had a fault with my cable modem. Since being fixed (splitter was faulty outside) I've had diagonal lines on my TV on channels BBC1+2 Wales, ITV and Channel4, when viewed via the TV tuning not on the cable channel. It doesn't notice much on my Widescreen TV, I think because of the 100Hz refresh rate its got but on portables its unmissable.

The cable modem had a 3.5db attenuator before the engineer came but he took it off but I'm not sure what effect this had on the TV picture because I took it off myself when the modem wasn't synchronising and it didn't seem to affect the TV picture. Would the attentuator only affect the TV signal if the modem was in sync ?

When I rang faults about it the guy said they only guarantee picture quality on the cable channel and not the channels which are received via the carrier signal. I wondered if this was correct, he also said if I asked for someone to come out they would charge me £25 callout charge if they found the cable channel was working fine.

Thing is how am I suppose to watch one channel and record another by just using the cable channel ? The reason I went on cable in the first place was because I could only get 3 english speaking channels.

Thanks.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2005, 20:14   #2
Matth
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels

This is bypass channels on the cable, for the "ordinary", is it?

Nothing altered on the analog STB?

Any other devices with RF out inline, and on when they were not before - I'm thinking co-channel / image channel interference (image channel is usually 10 channels away, but it can vary with TV design). Lines and patterning are usually some form of channel conflict, but interference can result from excess signal level - any extra amplifiers and splitters?
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 22:38   #3
Juan
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Wales
Posts: 148
Juan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth
This is bypass channels on the cable, for the "ordinary", is it?

Nothing altered on the analog STB?

Any other devices with RF out inline, and on when they were not before - I'm thinking co-channel / image channel interference (image channel is usually 10 channels away, but it can vary with TV design). Lines and patterning are usually some form of channel conflict, but interference can result from excess signal level - any extra amplifiers and splitters?
Yeah, it's the bypass channels 1-5, not viewed using the STB tuner. I've got a 6 output amplifier connected, I just tried connecting a portable directly to the output of the STB and the picture is totally line free so it looks like my amplifier is causing the interference. Any recommendations for a good quality amp that will last longer than the one I've got, only had mine 5 yrs, it is in the attic though - perhaps temperature extremes shorten their life.

Only thing I don't understand is why it suddenly became worse after the cable modem fault was fixed. I'm sure all the engineer did was change the splitter in the box outside.

Cheers
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 20:17   #4
Matth
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Picture Quality on Terrestrial Channels

Maybe the levels are now too high for the amplifier - perhaps an attenuator between the STB and the amplifier would help.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rldID=&doy=8m2 6 or 12dB though - 1/4 the power (1/2 the voltage) or 1/16 power (1/4 V).
If the signal is driving the amplifer that hard, maybe the 12dB would be needed.

If you have a passive splitter/combiner, try that inline and see if it cleans up.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:22.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum