07-02-2005, 13:44
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Self Rebooting STB
Just wondering whether anybody else has experienced this or has any ideas as to why this happens. I'll explain further.......
We have a Pace DI4010 STB installed with our main television. It was replaced as an Ntl engineer explained that it's predecessors (ie DI4001, etc) were inclined to overheat especially around the Card slot.
In my opinion, ever this box is inferior to the previous ones. It always locks up; it's slow when using the EPG; interactive almost never works (hmm, perhaps this isnt unique to this box!!).
One strange thing that I have noticed recently is that the STB take its own decision to reboot itself. For example, I was sitting at lunchtime having a bite to eat; the tv was on but I wasnt watching it. All of a sudden I heard a "pop" coming from the tv and noticed that on the front of the STB was the word "PACE" (as if someone had switched the box off at the wall socket and turned it on again). The STB then continued to reboot in the normal way.
Is this a fault with the box; a sign of an oncoming problem; or is it just normal??
If only Ntl would stop giving out the PACE boxes and give everyone a brand spanking new Samsung one (of which I've heard rave reviews).
Any ideas???
|
|
|
07-02-2005, 13:59
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N.East England
Posts: 493
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
give them a call as the box should not reboot by its self if its slow on the epg when they swap box make sure the engineer checks the levels also renews isolator and checks the return path should be no higher than 55dBmv should be in the 40dB range.
|
|
|
07-02-2005, 14:06
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Just checked the return path signal - coming back at about 49dB.......
Just wondering though - we have three STBs installed including the one I am refering to. Would this make any kind of difference to level, signal strength etc??
|
|
|
07-02-2005, 14:46
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N.East England
Posts: 493
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
yes having 3 settop boxs could affect levels but the return path looks ok levels for a 4010 +5 for 128Mhz -4 for highist digital signal
|
|
|
08-02-2005, 17:54
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Midlands
Age: 47
Posts: 79
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
the box is knackered, give faults a ring and they should swap it out.
|
|
|
08-02-2005, 18:12
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
I dont believe that I would go so far as to say that the box is knackered, but thanks for your opinion anyway Acropolis.
The box doesnt reboot itself on a frequent basis (that I am aware of). What I will do is I'll contact Customer Services and see if anyonw can explain why it happens - if not Im sure that they could send someone around to have a look!!  Am I naive or what???!!!!
James
|
|
|
09-02-2005, 08:46
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Whilst watching TV, press PageUp, then PageDown, then Blue on your remote. The customer diagnostics screen will be displayed. Go to the fourth page, and note down all the messages. Then post them here.
|
|
|
09-02-2005, 11:30
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hove
Age: 38
Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
Posts: 288
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
When I had a 4000-N, it used to do this every once in a while. Still worked fine (well, as well as you can expect it to!) otherwise - didn't seem to be a serious problem. I just assumed ntl were running some remote tests on the network or something.
Browneggsandham
|
|
|
09-02-2005, 18:43
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Just did as you recommended Spiderplant. Here's what I got:
Quote:
09/02/05 16:53 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 15:42 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 03:21 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 03:21 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 02:08 164 Lost Davic Connection
08/02/05 05:15 164 Lost Davic Connection
|
I rebooted the STB at around 19:30 this evening and the results were:
Quote:
06/01/80 00:00 168 CM Start Connect
06/01/80 00:00 275 Last Tuned Channel
01/00/00 00:00 18 Reboot
09/02/05 16:53 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 15:42 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 03:21 164 Lost Davic Connection
09/02/05 03:21 164 Lost Davic Connection
|
Seems odd to me that the STB appears to lose "real time" and tells us that it's '80.
Any ideas folks??
PS - Havent rang Customer Services yet - I'll see what we can come up with here first.
James
|
|
|
09-02-2005, 19:03
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Nothing useful there, except the frequent Lost Davic Connections could indicate a network fault (such as poor signal levels). But this wouldn't cause the STB to reboot itself. You'd need to get the event log again soon after the STB has rebooted itself.
The time gets muddled because the 4010 doesn't have a battery backed real-time clock. It sets the clock from information on the network as part of the boot-up process.
|
|
|
09-02-2005, 19:06
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Dont think the STB has rebooted on its own accord since the day I started this thread.
I'll keep an eye on the situation and if anything strange happens or appears, it post it as soon as I can.
James
|
|
|
12-02-2005, 17:11
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Belfast
Age: 47
Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb.
1 Additional VHD Box
Posts: 389
|
Re: Self Rebooting STB
Just want to add a small query to the post. I did the diagnostic (Pg Up, Pg Down, Blue) on the STB in my bedroom and one of the entries on page four was:
Does anyone know what this means??
In fact if anyone with alot of knowledge in this diagnostic procedure is aware of these entries, could they post them here for everybodies information - would help us to understand (possibly) what is happening inside the little black box under the TV!!??
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:08.
|