Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2005, 11:35   #1
Rakman
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Rakman is an unknown quantity at this point
Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB

I am trying to know what is the optimal signal strength to be received by an STB in my case the SA 4000DVB. I use the box on Telewest or trying to. I am told that it should be around 0dBmV which is 1mV. Is this true.
If I go into diagnostic mode of the 4000DVB. This is done by removing the power from the rear of the STB and then pressing down the up and down keys togther on the front panel. Now power up the box by inserting the power lead back in and keep holding the up and down keys until the word "diag" appears on the front panel display of the STD. After that let go of the up and down buttons. On page 1 (on your TV), you will see a Receive signal value and it will be in dBmV. What is your signal??

I currently get 10dBV and its highlighted RED. I assume RED means that the signal is too high. I assume that I would need an attenuator. Any ideas. What signal do you receive?
I want to make sure that I understand all the background before I go back to telewest for them to try to solve my problem.
Rakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-01-2005, 11:44   #2
quadplay
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Various
Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
Posts: 2,055
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
Re: Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB

What problem are you having? It's best to let a Telewest engineer sort it out than try to fix it yourself, as if you cause any damage in the process you'll more than likely receive a call-out charge to fix it.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 11:53   #3
Rakman
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
Rakman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB

Hello

Apparently there was some work that was carried out outside my house where the cabling was messed around with and telewest had to replace the cable with a newer type. Did didn't pay for this as it was the council that caused the problem in the first place. Now at that time I was on analogue and then I went over to Digital. The digital tv did work and now after a long absence from my home no tv. My neighbour says that there was some more carried out by the council and I think this affected my signal but since I wasnt around to know when my digital service stop working and Telewest are reluctant to solve the problem without me paying. So I am asuming that I can get way with it by getting an attenuator so that i can get the signal to 0dBmV. Without knowing what the optimal signal is I cant choose an attenuator.
Rakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 20:51   #4
Acropolis
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Midlands
Age: 47
Posts: 79
Acropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the roughAcropolis is a jewel in the rough
Re: Signal Strength on Scientific Atalanta 4000 STB

what freq is this reading from? it depends where abouts on the scale it is to the db reading, 128, 402, or 733 i think it is, cant remember without looking at my meter.

your best bet is to call out telewest and if they charge you then take the issue up with the council, it could be something like they have knicked the cable or something like that, and that could be causing the problem.
Acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:24.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum