16-01-2005, 12:34
|
#31
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by HD462
Jeez...another increase slipped in on the sly. Why don't they tell you there's going to be price changes instead of just charging you without asking....they're always doing it?
Imagine going into a shop to buy something and you get to the till and they charge you more than the price you were shown, I'm sure that would go down well.
|
I don't think any company asks it's customers if it's ok to increase prices  The increase for telephone features happened back in September last year from £1.50 to £1.75 and info was sent out to customers advising of the change.
|
|
|
16-01-2005, 13:01
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by HD462
Jeez...another increase slipped in on the sly. Why don't they tell you there's going to be price changes instead of just charging you without asking....they're always doing it?
|
Inserts went into every bill, in fact from memory, two months running.
Quote:
|
Imagine going into a shop to buy something and you get to the till and they charge you more than the price you were shown, I'm sure that would go down well.
|
What if you had a flier from a few weeks back and then went into the shop and the price had changed....that happens quite often.
The harsh reality of the capitalist system is that, as a general rule, any company can alter its prices 'without notice and without giving a reason'. Most will endeavour to inform customers where possible, but it's a common myth that they are obliged to do so. Tesco don't take out adverts informing customers that beans have gone up 4p, and nor should they.
BT moved the market by shoving their feature prices up to £1.75, ntl exists to make a profit, and therefore it is obligated to maximise revenue....if your only competitor in a market gets away with upping prices 75% sadly you have to consider following it.
I personally think all the phone features on both networks are now ludicrously overpriced but both companies feel they can get away with it.
|
|
|
16-01-2005, 14:40
|
#33
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Mark B
<snip>
I personally think all the phone features on both networks are now ludicrously overpriced but both companies feel they can get away with it.
|
I might be able to take my international calling to another supplier by dialing 18xx before I make a call, but I cannot take my CLI from another supplier.
Perhaps OFCOM should look into this cosy dupopoly situation for select services.
|
|
|
16-01-2005, 17:35
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by SMHarman
I might be able to take my international calling to another supplier by dialing 18xx before I make a call, but I cannot take my CLI from another supplier.
Perhaps OFCOM should look into this cosy dupopoly situation for select services.
|
I am hoping that as reseller companies (eg TalkTalk, 18866) start to use the new system that allows them to own line rental costs as well as call costs, (which will mean just one bill), these firms will be able to resell features also. They will doubtless undercut BT forcing them to lower the cost, at which point ntl would come under pressure to do the same.
That is my hope anyway.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 08:23
|
#35
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Teesside UK
Age: 60
Services: Digital Cable TV V+
Freeview
Virgin Phone
10Mb Broadband
Home WiFi Network
Virgin Mobile BB
Posts: 100
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I don't think any company asks it's customers if it's ok to increase prices  The increase for telephone features happened back in September last year from £1.50 to £1.75 and info was sent out to customers advising of the change.
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Mark B
The harsh reality of the capitalist system is that, as a general rule, any company can alter its prices 'without notice and without giving a reason'. Most will endeavour to inform customers where possible, but it's a common myth that they are obliged to do so.
|
That's not what I said though is it?
Of course it's up to them if they increase prices (I've had no flyers by the way). It IS up to the customer if they want to continue with the service at the new price though.
Also as I pay by direct debit they've broken the terms of the DD scheme which states they must give you 14 days notice of a change to dates or amounts.
It's no big hassle, as I would have stayed with it anyway, also they often do these backdoor increases for the TV too. The point is I didn't recieve notification, which I should have.
It's fair enough saying flyers were sent to everyone, that doesn't guarantee everyone actually got them. Depends on who's putting the flyers into envelopes I guess. We went 6 months with no bills arriving after they switched the firm that does the bills a few yrs ago. It was only threatening to cancel DDs, and reverting to paying the bill, when it actually arrived, as I wasn't letting them take money from my account without a bill, that got it all sorted out.
NTL is great when everything is working ok, but a nightmare when it involves actually having to deal with them.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 09:57
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by HD462
NTL is great when everything is working ok, but a nightmare when it involves actually having to deal with them.
|
That just about sums it up for me.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 10:12
|
#37
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by HD462
Also as I pay by direct debit they've broken the terms of the DD scheme which states they must give you 14 days notice of a change to dates or amounts.<snipped top and bottom>
|
They have not, your bill which shows the increased price gives you 14 days nottification of the amount to be taken by DD.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 15:21
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Teesside UK
Age: 60
Services: Digital Cable TV V+
Freeview
Virgin Phone
10Mb Broadband
Home WiFi Network
Virgin Mobile BB
Posts: 100
|
Re: NTL caller display
For that to be true the bill would have to arrive 14 days before the payment goes out of my bank....it never happens!
No big deal, after being with them since day 1 you get used to their quirks, and getting them sorted out.
I guess you work for NTL do you if you're so defensive of them. I'm not critising staff, I wouldn't have stayed with them so long if I wasn't happy with the service overall. Just had a guy here today fitted the new Samsung box.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 15:58
|
#39
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by HD462
I guess you work for NTL do you if you're so defensive of them. I'm not critising staff, I wouldn't have stayed with them so long if I wasn't happy with the service overall. Just had a guy here today fitted the new Samsung box. 
|
No I don't, I was just pointing out that they are probably in the right here, I don't know why it takes so long for your bill to arrive though, I don't pay much attention to my bill as I don't use the phone so it is the same every month.
|
|
|
17-01-2005, 17:48
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stoke-On-Trent
Posts: 561
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Neil
That just about sums it up for me.
|
Sums up most companies in the UK really. Great when it works, nighmare when it doesn't as long as they are getting your money they really couldnt care less what happens to you for the most part.
|
|
|
18-01-2005, 08:00
|
#41
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by themelon
Sums up most companies in the UK really. Great when it works, nighmare when it doesn't as long as they are getting your money they really couldnt care less what happens to you for the most part.
|
Errr-ok.....
|
|
|
18-01-2005, 08:14
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 477
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by themelon
Sums up most companies in the UK really. Great when it works, nighmare when it doesn't as long as they are getting your money they really couldnt care less what happens to you for the most part.
|
I would agree with that.
|
|
|
18-01-2005, 08:32
|
#43
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by andrew_wallasey
I would agree with that.
|
In your experience, what companies fall into that catagory? (I.E. what companies have you actually dealt with that made your blood boil when it came to sorting out a problem?)
|
|
|
18-01-2005, 08:36
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hampshire
Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
Posts: 5,684
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Neil
In your experience, what companies fall into that catagory? (I.E. what companies have you actually dealt with that made your blood boil when it came to sorting out a problem?)
|
T-Mobile
Southern Electric
Marks and Spencers
Home Base
to name but a few....
|
|
|
18-01-2005, 08:37
|
#45
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
|
Re: NTL caller display
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by orangebird
T-Mobile
Southern Electric
Marks and Spencers
Home Base
to name but a few....
|
You forgot one!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29.
|