Sky agree new deal with satalite company
03-10-2026, 15:15
|
#1
|
|
telegramsam
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middlesbrough
Services: Sky Q,,Freely,Grain broadband
Posts: 1,807
|
Sky agree new deal with satalite company
I see Sky have agreed a deal with satalite owners to continue providing signal until at least 2039 meaning for now Sky Q will continue. Good news for people like me who like to have a box to record on as I hate having to search for programs on demand or catch up
|
|
|
03-10-2026, 15:49
|
#2
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,581
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam
I see Sky have agreed a deal with satalite owners to continue providing signal until at least 2039 meaning for now Sky Q will continue. Good news for people like me who like to have a box to record on as I hate having to search for programs on demand or catch up
|
Almost like Sky doesn’t think linear broadcast TV is going away any time soon …
|
|
|
03-10-2026, 16:57
|
#3
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,240
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
Have they confirmed 2039 ?
Reports the other day just mentioned 2030's
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
04-10-2026, 14:15
|
#4
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St Albans, UK
Services: Flex, Broadband
Posts: 147
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
I'd expect it to be closer to 2031 under this deal. The previous deal was signed a couple of years ago and was a five year deal. It wouldn't be in Sky's interest to sign for much longer, but they are likely to roll it over in a year or two's time.
|
|
|
04-10-2026, 16:48
|
#5
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,240
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
I have seen notes (probably speculation) that it was extended to 2032, this seems more likely than 2039.
I suspect Sky are worried that once they stop Satellite (and recording) peolpe will have no reason to stick with them.
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
04-10-2026, 17:53
|
#6
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I have seen notes (probably speculation) that it was extended to 2032, this seems more likely than 2039.
I suspect Sky are worried that once they stop Satellite (and recording) peolpe will have no reason to stick with them.
|
Ditto virgin , not that I think I will need to worry , long gone I suspect
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
Today, 19:02
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,987
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
The continuation of the service is reliant on the current satellites remaining serviceable. The positioning systems have a finite life, so once the fuel runs out they can no longer stay in the correct location. SES have obviously determined that the current cluster has enough fuel to continue operating into the next decade. They certainly have made no announcements about new satellites, so going to 2039 is probably too optimistic.
|
|
|
Today, 19:56
|
#8
|
|
Roger_Gooner
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Services: Virgin Media M350, Hub 5, Mega TV with TNT Sports and Sky Sports & Cinema HD, TV 360 box + landline
Posts: 176
|
Re: Sky agree new deal with satalite company
The previous deal with SES was to 2029. Although the three Astra satellites are ageing, SES can keep them going for a few more years. I'm expecting Sky to complete its migration from Sky Q to Sky Glass/Stream by mid-2030s. When this happens, Freesat will also die as it piggybacks on the same satellites used by Sky.
__________________
I'm always right... except when I'm wrong
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:39.
|