Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 11-08-2022, 19:05   #1516
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Prime app on V6 logged me out yesterday. When I logged in again the profiles that we have were visible for the first time.
The app has updated to the new interface now I think , its much easier to find Content whether that's Prime Video Content or channels like Paramount+ and StarzPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Disney+ announce a new ad tier and a price rise for it's USA customers, you can be certain UK will be soon too. https://tvline.com/2022/08/10/disney...3Wp1GSmti-gjlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
Didnt't realise in the US you can't get Disney + (no ads) and Hulu* (no ads) as a bundle without ESPN+.

*We increasingly get new Hulu Originals on Disney+ , at least 6 are due to premiere on Disney+ later this year , aswell shows from FX channel and upcoming ABC shows like Alaska Daily , Avalon and Will Trent
To add current Disney+ subscribers in the US will begin receiving the ad version unless they agree to pay more for the ad-free plan , they basically just putting ads of 4 mins per hour on the regular Disney+ and are creating a new ad free tier

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 11-08-2022 at 19:42.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2022, 15:45   #1517
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So they are basically making you pay more for what you had before.

So if the same is implemented here we will be looking at £109.99 for the annual sub with no ads and £10.99 a month for the monthly sub with no ads.

This streaming world is starting to get really expensive.

Last edited by muppetman11; 14-08-2022 at 15:50.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 15:56   #1518
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

So if the same is implemented here we will be looking at £109.99 for the annual sub with no ads and £10.99 a month for the monthly sub with no ads.

And yet some say it's the way forward.... They are asking for churn.. people will drop it and rejoin every 4/5 months. It's the hassle of doing so as well as avoiding spoilers that keeps people hooked.

Don't forget that two years ago it was £4.99 per month.... Robbing bar stewards
Old 15-08-2022, 15:30   #1519
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Yes, in my view, the version with ads should be free, perhaps with reduced content, although you can’t blame them for charging. Sky have been doing that all along, even for their premium channels.
Old 15-08-2022, 16:16   #1520
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

So let me get this straight. The £7.99 package will have ads and the ad free is £10.99? so instead of introducing a ad supported cheap version they are simply creating a new more expensive tier and adding ads to what is available now? if that is the case then that is atrocious

I think if they do that in the UK then people will vote with their feet or at best stay on ad supported. It is a time of cost cutting not splashing out
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 16:22   #1521
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
And yet some say it's the way forward.... They are asking for churn.. people will drop it and rejoin every 4/5 months. It's the hassle of doing so as well as avoiding spoilers that keeps people hooked.

Don't forget that two years ago it was £4.99 per month.... Robbing bar stewards
The challenger brand is just becoming the same as the establishment brand. How long until the streamers say you have to take out contracts and just can't pause your subscription?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 17:57   #1522
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
So let me get this straight. The £7.99 package will have ads and the ad free is £10.99? so instead of introducing a ad supported cheap version they are simply creating a new more expensive tier and adding ads to what is available now? if that is the case then that is atrocious

I think if they do that in the UK then people will vote with their feet or at best stay on ad supported. It is a time of cost cutting not splashing out
Yes it's terrible, I was considering doing the £6 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers for 3 months of access but now I may just stick to using CinemaHD and get everything for free, it's moves like this that will increase piracy.
Old 15-08-2022, 18:30   #1523
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Just surprised , that people here are surprised that this is happening.
Old 15-08-2022, 18:45   #1524
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Just surprised , that people here are surprised that this is happening.
Indeed some of us have been pointing out for years that the low cost streaming future what absolute fantasy.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 20:07   #1525
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed some of us have been pointing out for years that the low cost streaming future what absolute fantasy.
Unless, of course, people start voting with their feet. Frankly, if we are about to face a huge financial squeeze, I'd rather dump the Sky TV channels, which cost quite a lot for very little.
Old 15-08-2022, 20:08   #1526
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

14% of HBO Max staff - about 70 people will laid off today
https://deadline.com/2022/08/hbo-max...al-1235091596/
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 20:35   #1527
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Unless, of course, people start voting with their feet. Frankly, if we are about to face a huge financial squeeze, I'd rather dump the Sky TV channels, which cost quite a lot for very little.
Sky channels are so good OB that you pay for them twice.

Through Virgin and Now.

It’s also irrelevant to the point at hand. Costs are going up across the market regardless of how the content is delivered. Pay more and get less. Not the future we were promised at all.
Old 15-08-2022, 20:56   #1528
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky channels are so good OB that you pay for them twice.

Through Virgin and Now.

It’s also irrelevant to the point at hand. Costs are going up across the market regardless of how the content is delivered. Pay more and get less. Not the future we were promised at all.
I don’t see how you think we get less, unless you are referring to sport.

I have already addressed your point about paying twice. I was right when I said you don’t take in the replies to the points you make.
Old 15-08-2022, 21:02   #1529
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t see how you think we get less, unless you are referring to sport.

I have already addressed your point about paying twice. I was right when I said you don’t take in the replies to the points you make.
It’s just a paradox to consistently claim their offering is poor yet here we are.

We clearly get less. The further splintering of rights by studio across different platforms means we can no longer enjoy from the traditional incumbents using economies of scale to bring us more content.

Indeed, even Channel 4 and Five would previously have had a decent offering of US content slipping down to them now being retained by studio run streaming services. You yourself have post countless times this to be the case, and a lowering of quality of what is left over for what you deem “linear” channels in a poorly defined way.

Who pays for that? Philanthropic studios?

No, the mugs. The end user.
Old 15-08-2022, 21:13   #1530
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It’s just a paradox to consistently claim their offering is poor yet here we are.

We clearly get less. The further splintering of rights by studio across different platforms means we can no longer enjoy from the traditional incumbents using economies of scale to bring us more content.

Indeed, even Channel 4 and Five would previously have had a decent offering of US content slipping down to them now being retained by studio run streaming services. You yourself have post countless times this to be the case, and a lowering of quality of what is left over for what you deem “linear” channels in a poorly defined way.

Who pays for that? Philanthropic studios?

No, the mugs. The end user.
It’s not a paradox. My wife is not really very good at coping with the streamers at her age, and as you well know, the older you are the less you can cope with new stuff.

I don’t know what rocks your boat, but the pay TV listings are much worse than they ever were before and I find myself recording less and less. Go into the streamers and you get a fantastic choice to watch any time.

It is true that there are fewer shows available on the pay TV channels as well as most of the terrestrials these days, but I still believe that the streamers offer much better value than the pay-tv channels. Netflix on its own has more choice, and you can jump between the streamers too because you are not hooked into a contract.

You could have all you need through a Freeview box and just one streamer, which you could change from time to time.

As you know, I am not talking about sport, which is a different matter altogether.