Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 23-06-2022, 11:48   #4171
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
On my personal wealth I love this scripture :
'I ask you, God, to let me have two things before I die: keep me from lying, and let me be neither rich nor poor. So give me only as much food as I need. If I have more, I might say that I do not need you. But if I am poor, I might steal and bring disgrace on my God. '

More generally I don't see anywhere condemnation of wealth but only on how it is used. He also makes it clear that our first love should be for God and we can't serve both God and wealth.
Hmmm. God is little better than Boris:

Quote:
HEBREWS 13:5
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2022, 12:17   #4172
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If we’re trading Bible verses, “Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” - Matthew 19:24.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 12:42   #4173
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If we’re trading Bible verses, “Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” - Matthew 19:24.
Exactly. IMO, ultra-wealth is incompatible with the original (not re-interpreted) teachings of Christ.
Old 23-06-2022, 12:56   #4174
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I certainly buy that one. And it has so many applications given that the EU considers itself to be akin to "the kingdom of God".

Old 23-06-2022, 13:08   #4175
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I certainly buy that one. And it has so many applications given that the EU considers itself to be akin to "the kingdom of God".

Strangely enough, if one Googles "EU Kingdom of God”, nothing to be seen…

Or to put it Biblically

Quote:
first cast out the beam out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 13:10   #4176
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Any chance we can end the biblical talk?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 13:12   #4177
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Stepping away from theology, it's the time of Wall Street to take a look at the British economy's prospects. It makes for a somewhat sobering read.

Quote:
Brexit’s Legacy Is Hotter UK Inflation Risk for Years Ahead
  • ‘The economy is extremely fragile,’ says Citigroup strategist
  • Brexit is a key reason why investors are still avoiding the UK

The UK will be stuck with searing inflation for years because of Brexit, according to strategists at Wall Street’s top banks.

Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and Standard Bank all see the UK as a outlier in the developed world because of the economic damage wrought by the decision to cut ties with the European Union. Even as price pressures start to fade elsewhere, they say UK inflation will be higher-than-normal because of immigration controls and supply chain disruption. A report Wednesday showed price pressures hitting a fresh four-decade high.

Inflation is a big reason why investors are bearish on the pound, even with the currency trading near a two-year low to the dollar. The view among experts is that Brexit isn’t the cause of the cost-of-living crisis, but it will make solving the problem harder in the UK than anywhere else.

To Bank of America’s Kamal Sharma, there’s a long list of reasons to still be negative on the pound. The economy is in poor shape and the BOE’s decisions are the subject of politicized attacks.

“As the pandemic headwind starts to fade, the UK will be left with this one big idiosyncratic shock,” he said. “For an economy that’s very reliant on domestic demand to drive the economy, that means you’re heading into a period of sub-trend growth, which is negative for the pound.”

Replacing access to the EU’s single market with labor and goods from elsewhere remains a challenge for the UK government, which has struggled to make headway on trade agreements. While the UK signed its first agreement with a US state last month, the piecemeal approach shows talks are failing to progress.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 13:16   #4178
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

On second thoughts, now Andy pandy’s shown up with more misery Brexit prediction, the biblical talk was more comforting.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 13:32   #4179
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Stepping away from theology, it's the time of Wall Street to take a look at the British economy's prospects. It makes for a somewhat sobering read.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social
I read this yesterday.

Seems to gloss over that the current wave of inflation is pretty much a western global issue, not just a UK issue

Also

Quote:
Replacing access to the EU’s single market with labor and goods from elsewhere remains a challenge for the UK government
I wasn't aware we had lost "access" to the single market. We're no longer in it but we still have access to it.
Old 23-06-2022, 13:43   #4180
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
On second thoughts, now Andy pandy’s shown up with more misery Brexit prediction, the biblical talk was more comforting.
Soz, I was just trying to help you out there!

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I read this yesterday.

Seems to gloss over that the current wave of inflation is pretty much a western global issue, not just a UK issue
The key part on UK inflation is:
Quote:
The view among experts is that Brexit isn’t the cause of the cost-of-living crisis, but it will make solving the problem harder in the UK than anywhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Also
I wasn't aware we had lost "access" to the single market. We're no longer in it but we still have access to it.
We've lost it for labour and it's now harder for goods.
Old 23-06-2022, 16:38   #4181
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

We didn’t have an inflation problem until Russia invaded Ukraine and put fuel prices up. After 12 months from the start of the higher level of inflation, the numbers will come down by themselves unless energy costs continue their upward trend or pay rises get out of control.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 23-06-2022 at 16:44.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 16:44   #4182
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think the word ‘camel’ has been mistranslated. It is very similar to the word ‘rope’ in the original language. Or so I was told decades ago.
Apparently a conflict about whether it was an Aramaic word or Assyrian.

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-q...be-thick-rope/

Old 23-06-2022, 16:54   #4183
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We didn’t have an inflation problem until Russia invaded Ukraine and put fuel prices up.
It was 6% in February before the invasion - three times the Bank of England's target of 2%.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/22/b...tion-rate.html
Attached Images
File Type: png Inflation.png (34.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 23-06-2022, 17:18   #4184
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
We didn’t have an inflation problem until Russia invaded Ukraine and put fuel prices up. After 12 months from the start of the higher level of inflation, the numbers will come down by themselves unless energy costs continue their upward trend or pay rises get out of control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It was 6% in February before the invasion - three times the Bank of England's target of 2%.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/22/b...tion-rate.html

Source data…

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/infla...lation/may2022

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 212CBFD3-50AC-4AD3-BE63-C5E8966284B8.jpeg (80.0 KB, 55 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 17:24   #4185
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

To pre-empt replies, demonstrating to Old Boy that the UK had an inflation rate problem before Russia invaded Ukraine and put fuel prices up, does not mean that other countries did not have inflation rate problems too.