Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 07-05-2022, 18:36   #10921
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I expect it will be, for now. Let's see what happens in the next bidding round.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

You must have taken your eye off the ball!
Guess you're right there Old Boy!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2022, 19:14   #10922
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Warner Discovery is not a platform. My understanding it has at least three: HBO Max (not UK till at least 2025), Discovery + and Eurosport. The latter two are also sold as a single package.

I can envisage the Eurosport and BT Sport platforms converging with a discount for those taking Discovery + and EuroSport/BT Sport. EE is now BT's main consumer brand for the future so BT may not have a problem fading out the BT Sport brand, especially as the long-term head of BT Sport has now left.

Expect lots of offers to BT and EE customers to make it worth their while taking Discovery +.

In the long-term, I do think we could see a combined Warner Brothers Discovery streaming service to potentially rival Now TV in breadth of content. But I suspect sport would still be sold as an add-on and separately due to its cost. Commercial pressures - why turn away good money? - may encourage it to still wholesale some or all channels to Sky and VM.
Warner is not a platform here at present, I agree, but ultimately I think the scripted content and the sports will be added to Discovery + (which may be renamed).

Clearly, the sport will have to be an additional tier. I don’t see any alternative option, to be honest.
Old 07-05-2022, 19:31   #10923
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Warner is not a platform here at present, I agree, but ultimately I think the scripted content and the sports will be added to Discovery + (which may be renamed).

Clearly, the sport will have to be an additional tier. I don’t see any alternative option, to be honest.
I really hope BT gives an update on Thursday aboot a BT Sports and Eurosport merger.

Just to found confirm the new company name.

-I am working with a following (My own views):

BT Sports/Eurosport network will be called Discovery Sports.

Here is latest rumours I have:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-facing-brand

-That Guardian reports says that Warner Bros. Discovery is set to stop using a Eurosport UK brand.*

*Bit more info:

-In GB - Eurosport is set become BT Sports.
-In EU - Eurosport brand will stay as now.

Information from Guardian - no real updates since February.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 07-05-2022 at 19:57.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 20:29   #10924
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

And to the average user it makes no discernible different from having a general entertainment app and paying extra for the BT Sport app. If we are experiencing the biggest fall in standards of living since the Second World War people will be more interested cost than administration.

Last edited by jfman; 07-05-2022 at 20:35.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 18:55   #10925
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:

That won’t happen! Prime Video, Peacock and Paramount+ include sports in their main package and are thriving. HBO Max/Discovery+ will probably do so here.
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:33   #10926
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post

Why on earth would discovery ditch their own know and longer established brand (Eurosport) in favour of a licensed name they will have to pay royalties for.

The overall sporting business is Discovery Sports which is more likely if anything.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:42   #10927
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

BT Eurosport is simplest name if BT want their brand In it or even just keep all the channels as they are but 50% owned by both or Discovery Sports.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 10-05-2022 at 09:56.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 14:31   #10928
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
Why on earth would discovery ditch their own know and longer established brand (Eurosport) in favour of a licensed name they will have to pay royalties for.

The overall sporting business is Discovery Sports which is more likely if anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
BT Eurosport is simplest name if BT want their brand In it or even just keep all the channels as they are but 50% owned by both or Discovery Sports.
I did think of Discovery Sports until Media Guardian posted this on April 27th:

Quote:
The BT brand will also continue to be used for BT Sport, the pay-TV service set to become part of a joint venture with Warner Bros Discovery
Old 10-05-2022, 14:53   #10929
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
-That Guardian reports says that Warner Bros. Discovery is set to stop using a Eurosport UK brand.*

*Bit more info:

It doesn't say that anywhere in the article, it says
Quote:
From today, we’re starting the preparations to make the EE brand our flagship brand for consumer customers focusing on convergence and future services.

The BT brand will also continue to be used for BT Sport, the pay-TV service set to become part of a joint venture with Warner Bros Discovery, and become the lead brand for its business-to-business and global operations.

BT will also remain as a co-brand on the company’s 550 high street stores and appear in ad campaigns.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 10-05-2022 at 14:57.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 15:03   #10930
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
It doesn't say that anywhere in the article, it says

Thank God only two more sleeps to go until BT PLC results comes out and we may get a update on BT Sports / Warner Bros. Discovery merge - Been no update in last three months since BT PLC last results.
Old 10-05-2022, 17:00   #10931
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Thank God only two more sleeps to go until BT PLC results comes out and we may get a update on BT Sports / Warner Bros. Discovery merge - Been no update in last three months since BT PLC last results.
Thank the lord for that I've had many sleepless nights worrying over this
Old 12-05-2022, 08:48   #10932
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

BT Group and Warner Bros. Discovery Agree Premium Sports Joint Venture for the UK and Ireland
Quote:
Both BT Sport and Eurosport UK will initially retain their separate brands and product propositions in the market before being brought together under a single brand in the future. BT Group (through its wholly owned subsidiary British Telecommunications plc (“BT plc”)) and Warner Bros. Discovery will enter into distribution agreements with the JV under which they will distribute the combined sports content to new and existing customers on their respective platforms and apps.
Quote:
Call Option

As part of the Transaction, Warner Bros. Discovery will have the right, but not the obligation, to exercise a call option to acquire the entire shareholding of BT plc in the JV (the “Call Option”). The Call Option will be exercisable at specified points during the first four years of the JV and is subject to certain conditions and arrangements. The price payable for 50% of the JV under the Call Option will be at a price to be determined at the time the option is exercised, plus any remaining consideration and earn-out that BT plc will be entitled to at that time (subject to certain conditions).

If the Call Option is not exercised by Warner Bros. Discovery (as detailed above), BT plc will have the ability to exit its stake in the JV either through a sale or IPO.
https://wbd.com/bt-group-and-warner-...u-and-ireland/

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 12-05-2022 at 08:52.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:24   #10933
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

From that WBD link
Quote:
Those customers who access BT Sport through BT directly, and the majority of BT TV customers, are set to receive discovery+, the non-fiction entertainment streaming service which is home to Eurosport’s live and on-demand streaming offer in the UK & Ireland, as part of existing subscriptions.

Thought this £222m loss information was interesting too:
Quote:
Information on BT Sport business

Based on unaudited management information, as at 31 March 2022, the value of the gross assets of BT Sport business to be contributed to the JV and the operating businesses of BT Sport was £339m and it had an operating loss for the year of £222m.
https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-and...uk-and-ireland

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-05-2022 at 11:29.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:04   #10934
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
From that WBD link

Thought this £222m loss information was interesting too:

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-and...uk-and-ireland
So, the way I read it is that the BT Sport channels will remain available for the time being, alongside the new streamer. That makes sense for the time being, but it is clear which way this is going ultimately.

As BT Sport subscribers on the BT platform will be able to access Discovery+, I wonder if BT will cease to make the TV channels available to those subscribers imminently? We will see soon enough.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:21   #10935
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So, the way I read it is that the BT Sport channels will remain available for the time being, alongside the new streamer. That makes sense for the time being, but it is clear which way this is going ultimately.

As BT Sport subscribers on the BT platform will be able to access Discovery+, I wonder if BT will cease to make the TV channels available to those subscribers imminently? We will see soon enough.
By new streamer, do you mean Discovery+ ? Discovery are maintaining the linear Eurosport channels for the forseeable future so I'm sure they will do the same with the BT channels.

What I've not seen mentioned is what happens to AMC from BT. I suspect this may end.