Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 01-05-2022, 23:21   #10876
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Surely, you get economies of scale in terms of the amount of content on the streamers. Look at the huge amount of programming on Netflix alone, and compared to Sky’s entertainment channels, it’s as cheap as chips.

I am not persuaded by the number of channels you get for your buck - many channels are full of rubbish on the whole. I look for value by considering the amount and quality of content.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

I don’t know what it is you are looking at to come to that conclusion. In recent weeks, we’ve seen a further series of Ozark, Bridgerton, Top Boy, The Last Kingdom and Better Call Saul. Completely new stuff includes Anatomy of a Scandal, Rescued By Ruby, Windfall, Against The Ice and Pieces of Her.

Can you point to anything like that amount of new stuff on Sky over just a few weeks?
Who mentioned Sky ?

Clearly I’m not the only one with the quantity over quality view.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-the-new-cable
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2022, 10:00   #10877
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Who mentioned Sky ?

Clearly I’m not the only one with the quantity over quality view.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-the-new-cable
I did. My name is to the left of the text in my post.

You were moaning about the 'rubbish' on Netflix and I was drawing your attention to the fact that there was good stuff coming out all the time, and that it compared well with Sky - cheaper, too.

Of course there will always be programmes you don't like or rate in the ever expanding catalogue, and if you don't rate the ones I highlighted, then what on Earth do you like?
Old 02-05-2022, 10:07   #10878
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I did. My name is to the left of the text in my post.

You were moaning about the 'rubbish' on Netflix and I was drawing your attention to the fact that there was good stuff coming out all the time, and that it compared well with Sky - cheaper, too.

Of course there will always be programmes you don't like or rate in the ever expanding catalogue, and if you don't rate the ones I highlighted, then what on Earth do you like?
Cheaper ???? I pay for the Now TV Entertainment pass at £4.99 with boost at £2.00 so how is Netflix cheaper ????

The HD package on Netflix is £10.99 now
Old 02-05-2022, 10:10   #10879
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

It's over priced compared to say Prime Video or Apple TV+ is and what Paramount+ will be likely be based on prices outside the US.
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:13   #10880
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Not if you look at their levels of debt.

Whether you are persuaded or otherwise is irrelevant. The low cost streaming future has been shown up as a sham.
The levels of debt accrued by Netflix has arisen through the sheer number of original programming they have made available on the service. Once they are satisfied that they have a good enough library, that level of spending will inevitably decrease, and they will also find innovative ways of increasing revenue.

The 'low-cost streaming future' is not a sham at all. The price will increase, sure, but you will no longer need to pay for any TV channels to companies like VM and Sky in the future because you will get all the content you want from the streamers, and you can access them through your smart TV. No need to get a TV box at all.

I can see that as a sport-lover, you are miffed by the number of streamers you need to pay for to watch a variety of sport, but as I said earlier, the fragmentation of sports programming was already occurring on the TV channels. I suspect that over time, sport will be available on fewer streamers due to the cost, reversing that trend.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:16   #10881
bluecatt73
cf.member

Services: M250 Broadband, Mega TV, Sky Sports HD, Netflix, Disney+
bluecatt73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The levels of debt accrued by Netflix has arisen through the sheer number of original programming they have made available on the service. Once they are satisfied that they have a good enough library, that level of spending will inevitably decrease, and they will also find innovative ways of increasing revenue.
You're essentially saying that in the future Netflix will continue to raise prices (or introduce advertising) while adding very little in the way of new content?
bluecatt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:24   #10882
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecatt73 View Post
You're essentially saying that in the future Netflix will continue to raise prices (or introduce advertising) while adding very little in the way of new content?
He’s also confirming my point it’s quantity over quality
Old 02-05-2022, 14:00   #10883
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The glorious streaming future in one sentence.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

Quote:

The 'low-cost streaming future' is not a sham at all. The price will increase, sure, but you will no longer need to pay for any TV channels to companies like VM and Sky in the future because you will get all the content you want from the streamers, and you can access them through your smart TV. No need to get a TV box at all.
So all that changes is who you pay and no need for a box. Increased prices for less/lower quality content isn’t a victory for consumers in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
I can see that as a sport-lover, you are miffed by the number of streamers you need to pay for to watch a variety of sport, but as I said earlier, the fragmentation of sports programming was already occurring on the TV channels. I suspect that over time, sport will be available on fewer streamers due to the cost, reversing that trend.
More wishful thinking to be disproven over time. Whether I watch, or don’t watch, sports is broadly irrelevant. It’s simply the easiest way to disprove your vision of a low cost streaming future. Although general entertainment and niche programming are following suit.

Last edited by jfman; 02-05-2022 at 14:08.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 18:18   #10884
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Cheaper ???? I pay for the Now TV Entertainment pass at £4.99 with boost at £2.00 so how is Netflix cheaper ????

The HD package on Netflix is £10.99 now
Yes, but you are on a special offer. The normal price for the Now Entertainment pack is £11.99.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
It's over priced compared to say Prime Video or Apple TV+ is and what Paramount+ will be likely be based on prices outside the US.
It’s more expensive because there’s a lot more on it!

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:
They can cut the amount of new original content to the level of Prime and that will save them quite a bit. Of course they will need to keep adding to their library!

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:

So all that changes is who you pay and no need for a box. Increased prices for less/lower quality content isn’t a victory for consumers in any way, shape or form.

That is not all that changes. For one thing, we will not have pay-tv channels in years to come, so no need to pay for them. You will not have to pay for a box or have an activation fee as you can view your streamers from your smart tv. That also means you can shop around for the best broadband deal without being tied to one company. You are not having all the streamers thrown at you if you only want to watch one, and you can change which streamer to watch pretty well when you want.

I don’t agree that the streamers provide less quality. Their dramas have made our terrestrials up their game.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:19   #10885
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, but you are on a special offer. The normal price for the Now Entertainment pack is £11.99.[COLOR="Silver"]
Actually it’s £14.99 but that’s irrelevant as it’s so easy to get Now TV discounted to the figures I noted.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:19   #10886
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Actually it’s £14.99 but that’s irrelevant as it’s so easy to get Now TV discounted to the figures I noted.
And representative of a profitable business model - unlike Netflix.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:23   #10887
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

More wishful thinking to be disproven over time. Whether I watch, or don’t watch, sports is broadly irrelevant. It’s simply the easiest way to disprove your vision of a low cost streaming future. Although general entertainment and niche programming are following suit.
It is relevant, because sport is costing more, although as I’ve already said, fragmentation was happening anyway, before the streamers started buying the rights.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Another benefit of streaming, then …

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
And representative of a profitable business model - unlike Netflix.
It does not matter to the consumer if a business is not currently making a profit. Virgin Media has been in debt most of its life since its inception, hasn’t it?
Old 02-05-2022, 18:35   #10888
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It is relevant, because sport is costing more, although as I’ve already said, fragmentation was happening anyway, before the streamers started buying the rights.
It wasn't to this extent and the notion that venture capital or Silicon Valley would throw money down the toilet in the way they have with streaming services is fanciful.

Quote:
It does not matter to the consumer if a business is not currently making a profit. Virgin Media has been in debt most of its life since its inception, hasn’t it?
It has infrastructure as an underlying asset.

It does indeed matter to consumers that markets are being distorted by venture capital or Silicon Valley underwriting unsustainable losses, forcing up rights costs for viable companies. This falls to consumers to fund.

Your failure to understand that undermines your entire argument.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:41   #10889
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

It has infrastructure as an underlying asset.

It does indeed matter to consumers that markets are being distorted by venture capital or Silicon Valley underwriting unsustainable losses, forcing up rights costs for viable companies. This falls to consumers to fund.

Your failure to understand that undermines your entire argument.
No, your point is not relevant. The streamers have made much more watchable content available at low cost. That is the point, and what is important to the consumer.
Old 02-05-2022, 18:43   #10890
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No, your point is not relevant. The streamers have made much more watchable content available at low cost. That is the point, and what is important to the consumer.
The consumers who now have to buy multiple services at higher cost than incumbent pay-tv packages?