Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 26-04-2022, 13:55   #736
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
I just stubbed my toe and Alexa started playing Piers Morgan’s new TV show. (Gary Delaney)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2022, 17:33   #737
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
especially funny because NBC News Now has launched on virgin media and if you wanted your fix of american news youve just gone over there. CNN literally moved out to make more money and their competitors have just strolled in. I also found the CBS app fairly decent which i purely went to look for after CNN decided to leave haha
Yes but CNN is an international news channel which only broadcasts its domestic service for a few hours each day whereas NBC News Now is a full rebroadcast of the domestic service.
Old 26-04-2022, 22:25   #738
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder which bright spark at Virgin thought it'd be a good idea to remove BBC1 AD & BBC2 AD for sight impaired people with no notice whatsoever.

Blind people will have been wondering why their channels were silent and their recordings inaccessible until this was corrected.
Old 27-04-2022, 07:44   #739
garethf1927
cf.member

Services: Virgin TV 360 4K UHD Bluray 4K UHD HDR TV
garethf1927 has a spectacular aura about themgarethf1927 has a spectacular aura about themgarethf1927 has a spectacular aura about themgarethf1927 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I wonder which bright spark at Virgin thought it'd be a good idea to remove BBC1 AD & BBC2 AD for sight impaired people with no notice whatsoever.

Blind people will have been wondering why their channels were silent and their recordings inaccessible until this was corrected.
I have an audio track on my boxes telling me how to turn on AD. I'm sure VM will have written in Braille to their customers who get Braille bills to tell them of this
Old 27-04-2022, 09:16   #740
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethf1927 View Post
I have an audio track on my boxes telling me how to turn on AD. I'm sure VM will have written in Braille to their customers who get Braille bills to tell them of this
Same. There is an information slate/audio loop on both Ch 851 and Ch 852 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch101 and Ch102.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

All the PSB channels that have a service in 850s have Audio Description enabled on their main instance now, so the 850 range channels are now redundant for their intended purpose.

With these closures I think it's just a matter of time now before the remaining channels in the 850s close.
Old 27-04-2022, 10:30   #741
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethf1927 View Post
There is now (which is what I meant by iit eventually being corrected).

I wouldn't be too sure about them writing to those who receive bills in braille, they've been featured on the BBC for the shocking way they treat blind people.
Old 27-04-2022, 11:01   #742
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Richard, if you’re going to vilify a company, it’s only polite and proper to provide links substantiating your negative comments.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 27-04-2022, 12:09   #743
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

BBC1 & BBC2 AD channels on 851 & 852 have now been removed from the network, as has the Metadata that supports any recordings.

Not that significant really, but will disappoint those wanting to minimise recording space by recording in SD.
Old 27-04-2022, 12:34   #744
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
BBC1 & BBC2 AD channels on 851 & 852 have now been removed from the network, as has the Metadata that supports any recordings.

Not that significant really, but will disappoint those wanting to minimise recording space by recording in SD.
Well, not quite. Older recordings may have been inaccessible for a while after the AD channels were removed from the EPG but should have become available again as the channels went into end of service placeholder status.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Same. There is an information slate/audio loop on both Ch 851 and Ch 852 that tells you about the change and how to enable Audio Description on Ch101 and Ch102.
For Tivo and V6 boxes, yes. 360 boxes have a similar slideshow / audio loop on channel 851 advising how to use voice commands to enable audio description for BBC One although, seemingly, nothing on channel 852 to advise how to enable AD for BBC Two. Odd!

Quote:
All the PSB channels that have a service in 850s have Audio Description enabled on their main instance now, so the 850 range channels are now redundant for their intended purpose.

With these closures I think it's just a matter of time now before the remaining channels in the 850s close.
What will we all do without an ITV London feed?
Old 27-04-2022, 12:50   #745
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
What will we all do without an ITV London feed?
It was useful whenever we got shafted with rubbish regional stuff
Old 27-04-2022, 16:31   #746
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Well, not quite. Older recordings may have been inaccessible for a while after the AD channels were removed from the EPG but should have become available again as the channels went into end of service placeholder status.[COLOR="Silver"]
There is a complaint on the VM Community boards today that recordings made on these channels are not working.
Old 27-04-2022, 16:38   #747
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

They did stop for a while - but should be OK now.
Quote:
There is a complaint on the VM Community boards today that recordings made on these channels are not working.
Old 27-04-2022, 22:42   #748
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
They did stop for a while - but should be OK now.
True, but imagine how confused a person with a severe sight impairment will have been.

I tried to watch a recording from the AD channels and was met with a message saying that the recording was no longer available because Virgin no longer carried the channel and gave an option to delete it.

I was going to, but i'm glad I didn't as they then became accessible again.

Someone with no useable sight will have had no chance of understanding what was going on.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Quote:

I am one of them. The AD feeds were useful to save on disc space. I've spoken to my contact today because i'm not happy at all about this and they said they would have to speak to the office manager and will ring me tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

Due to health issues i've built up a backlog of various dramas and recording in SD allowed me to stay under the limit before it started deleting stuff. Now i'm chasing my tail and have had to delete some programmes that I did want to watch.

I don't even think they were using up any capacity, weren't they pointing to a duplicate stream??
Old 27-04-2022, 22:57   #749
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I don't even think they were using up any capacity, weren't they pointing to a duplicate stream??
Originally, they shared video / audio streams with the national BBC 1 London / BBC 2 England (& Scotland) SD streams. When the national SD streams were replaced with HD versions, the AD channels were the only services using those streams.
Old 27-04-2022, 23:13   #750
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally, they shared video / audio streams with the national BBC 1 London / BBC 2 England (& Scotland) SD streams. When the national SD streams were replaced with HD versions, the AD channels were the only services using those streams.
Thanks for explaining
Closed Thread