Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 26-01-2022, 12:28   #241
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
All of the old BBC One SD channels were parked on EPG slot 1806 and hidden from the EPG. Legacy boxes can't display 4 digit channel numbers, so you only see the first 3 digits. Happy to help.
Ahhh that explains it then, cheers.
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2022, 13:28   #242
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
A bit of a surprise this morning for viewers with Tivo based boxes trying to tune in to BBC One HD on channel 108. As expected it moved to channel 101 overnight. Viewers with Tivo based boxes haven't had an official notification of the change and will notice the channel is no longer there and there isn't an information slate to explain what has happened. Hmmm! not everyone will have been following this news on forums and internet blogs.
There should be a message in 'Discovery' bar at the top - 'BBC One - HD moves up in England'
Old 26-01-2022, 13:34   #243
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Minor sound issues again on BBC1 HD again.

Last week (I think) when they messed about with it on 108 I lost sound for a day or so, then my amp recognised it as surround sound but it was coming out in stereo. Eventually fixed a day later

Now it has moved to 101, sound is once again being recognised as surround sound but is in stereo.

Other surround sound channels work fine so not an issue with equipment.

First world problems...
Old 26-01-2022, 13:53   #244
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There should be a message in 'Discovery' bar at the top - 'BBC One - HD moves up in England'
Odd that, I've checked the home page several times and that hadn't appeared. After you posted this I left the page up for a while and it appeared after a few minutes. A bit of a "hit and miss" experience if that's how customers are being informed.
Old 26-01-2022, 15:01   #245
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

As AD is now a part on the main 101 channel - I suspect that will soon be removed too. I don't think there will be any SD BBC1 channels soons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I have just been amending my series links from BBC1 Yorkshire HD to BBC1 AD as I want everything (apart from the local news) to record in SD.

This resulted in some double entries with one greyed out due to clashes.

- The old BBC1 Yorkshire SD channel was showing as being on Channel 180, which I selected and then deleted.

Further on in Planned Recordings:

- There was a double entry for the same programme on BBC4. One was on Channel 107 and the other for channel 180 again, which I again selected and then deleted..

On the EPG, 180 is neither BBC Four or BBC1 Yorkshire SD, but is Sky Replay??

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Here BBC1 Oxford HD is showing as DD2.0 on the amp - but switched to DD5.1 for Father Brown - all as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Minor sound issues again on BBC1 HD again.

Last week (I think) when they messed about with it on 108 I lost sound for a day or so, then my amp recognised it as surround sound but it was coming out in stereo. Eventually fixed a day later

Now it has moved to 101, sound is once again being recognised as surround sound but is in stereo.

Other surround sound channels work fine so not an issue with equipment.

First world problems...
Old 26-01-2022, 15:26   #246
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
As AD is now a part on the main 101 channel - I suspect that will soon be removed too. I don't think there will be any SD BBC1 channels soons.
Unless they keep the national variations 861-864 in SD, in which case they might be a better choice for Richard. I would agree that the AD channels are basically obsolete as regional channels have started to carry the AD service.
Old 26-01-2022, 15:37   #247
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I think they will follow to HD soon. Can't see VM wanting to keep SD when HD for all other BBC.
Quote:
Unless they keep the national variations 861-864 in SD, in which case they might be a better choice for Richard. I would agree that the AD channels are basically obsolete as regional channels have started to carry the AD service.
Old 26-01-2022, 16:41   #248
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I think they will follow to HD soon. Can't see VM wanting to keep SD when HD for all other BBC.
I don't know, my thoughts are that if they were going to be in HD they would have converted with the rest. The adjacent regions on channel 858 were converted to HD last night. There possibly isn't a very high demand for these channels so using HD would be wasteful.

Also the nation versions were used to absorb SD series links when the nations went HD only.
Old 26-01-2022, 17:22   #249
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Got the following on my Twitter feed:

Quote:
Look like Virgin has messed up moving BBC One HD to 101 in the South East.

On my 360, BBC One HD Audio Described is on 101 and BBC One HD without Audio Description is on 851!
Quote was sent to me before 11.15am today.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 26-01-2022, 17:24   #250
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

Watched lunchtime edition of South Today on 858 (now HD) today. I'm certain the studio bits were still in SD (maybe upscaled) but the outside news reports were obviously HD. Perhaps they are going to have a big HD switch on at 1830 for the main bulletin, if not it seems a bit of a weird concoction!
Old 26-01-2022, 17:31   #251
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I hope BBC do keep the national variations on Virgin as I do watch BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland about two hours per week.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
Watched lunchtime edition of South Today on 858 (now HD) today. I'm certain the studio bits were still in SD (maybe upscaled) but the outside news reports were obviously HD. Perhaps they are going to have a big HD switch on at 1830 for the main bulletin, if not it seems a bit of a weird concoction!
Digital Spy Forum is reporting "at present there are only four BBC English regions, able to produce in HD

London, South West, North West, and Cambridge.

Southampton is in progress now. Newcastle next up."

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ment_100360350
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 26-01-2022, 17:34   #252
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That original post from Mark C is dated October 2021 though, so assume it's more than just those four now.
Old 26-01-2022, 17:38   #253
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I hope BBC do keep the national variations on Virgin as I do watch BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland about two hours per week.
I wonder how many people use them. I know people who use them for sport, Holby early instead of River City, or Hogmanay alternatives. I know there's iPlayer but sometimes it's quicker to type a number.
Old 26-01-2022, 17:46   #254
ozsat
cf.mega poster

I don't think they will close but are likely to go HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Old 26-01-2022, 17:56   #255
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That original post from Mark C is dated October 2021 though, so assume it's more than just those four now.
Don't bet on that, it will be slow progress and with ever more pressure on the licence fee I can't see it speeding up.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:
I don't think they will close but are likely to go HD.
Probably as likely to go HD as all of the +1 channels. They are already in HD in their own coverage areas.
Closed Thread