Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Novak Djokovic tries to go to Oz

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Novak Djokovic tries to go to Oz

Old 14-01-2022, 13:25   #121
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Novak Djokovic tries to go to Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Novak had a choice though. He had more than one choice.

He could have chosen to get the vaccine and meet the eligibility rules easily for Australia and he chose not to do so.

Even then having, apparently, got COVID in December he could have chosen not to travel abroad in the 14 days prior and he could have chosen not to do an interview with L'Equipe whilst positive - a choice he didn't give the journalists - but he chose not to do so.

Then he chose to lie on his immigration form.

So now Australia have chosen to kick him out.
Spot on. If he's going to try and swerve the vaccine rule, he at least has to be seen to be self-isolating and fill out the forms correctly!

This is just plain incompetence.

Good to see Australia enforcing the rules whilst our own Prime Minister makes us look like a banana republic with his disdain for them.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2022, 13:28   #122
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I'll withdraw anti vaxe however nutjob remains

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/05/nov...science-babble

it's also none of your business what the Australian government choose to do.

My opinion of him is just as pertinent as your opinion of the Australian government.
I never said it was my business - Jesus Christ - we are debating in a bloody topic aren't we?

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Spot on. If he's going to try and swerve the vaccine rule, he at least has to be seen to be self-isolating and fill out the forms correctly!

This is just plain incompetence.
Then his judgement should come from the rule of law - not a minister.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:33   #123
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I know what you mean but every country is different in the way that it is run. It is acknowledged as being a democratic country.
Old 14-01-2022, 13:35   #124
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I know what you mean but every country is different in the way that it is run. It is acknowledged as being a democratic country.
Not anymore given their draconian antics of late.
Old 14-01-2022, 13:37   #125
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Not anymore given their draconian antics of late.
If the Australian people are unhappy with the government then they can vote them out in free and fair elections.

That's the definition of a democracy, not how they enforce their border.
Old 14-01-2022, 13:40   #126
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If the people are unhappy with the government then they can vote them out at the next election in free and fair elections. That's the definition of a democracy, not how they enforce their border.
Gee wizz, I would never have known this, if you had never graced passed me with such knowledge.
Old 14-01-2022, 13:42   #127
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I never said it was my business - Jesus Christ - we are debating in a bloody topic aren't we?

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

It does - from section 133C(3) of the Migration Act, a Law passed by the Australian Parliament.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/leg...118/s133c.html
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:44   #128
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Then again, it should be handled by a court of law or are you just happy for checks and balances to be ignored and now support communism by the back door and Australia becoming a Banana Republic ?

Additionally - Why would he want to take a vaccine that does nothing to stop transmission and could potentially have side effects that he does not want, being a healthily sporting athlete - that is his choice, he is not effecting anyone else by not getting vaccinated, any more than a vaccinated person is. Because both can equally pass on the virus.
It is his choice but this is a foreign country and they are making choices too. The position of most country's medical authorities is that the vaccine does reduce - not eliminate but reduce - the spread.

You may disagree with that, Novak may disagree with that, but the Australian Government is listening to their medical authorities.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 13:58   #129
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It is his choice but this is a foreign country and they are making choices too. The position of most country's medical authorities is that the vaccine does reduce - not eliminate but reduce - the spread.

You may disagree with that, Novak may disagree with that, but the Australian Government is listening to their medical authorities.
I am going to disagree with it because, I've seen more people triple vaccinated pass on the virus these last few weeks.

The virus does not reduce the chances of getting it in any way, it only stops people getting ill, that is it's function, I am sick of saying this and I work on the front line and see it with my own eyes!

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It does - from section 133C(3) of the Migration Act, a Law passed by the Australian Parliament.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/leg...118/s133c.html
And what about an order from the court being overturned by a minister, is this their law?
Old 14-01-2022, 14:03   #130
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I am going to disagree with it because, I've seen more people triple vaccinated pass on the virus these last few weeks.

The virus does not reduce the chances of getting it in any way, it only stops people getting ill, that is it's function, I am sick of saying this and I work on the front line and see it with my own eyes!

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

And what about an order from the court being overturned by a minister, is this their law?
Yes
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:03   #131
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Yeah and we don't have to go over that debate again.

But for the purposes of this discussion, Australia is going with what is currently the mainstream consensus and they're the ones who set the rules for that country. If Novak wants to go to Australia his best bet was to get the vaccine.

He doesn't have to get it but now he cannot get into Australia. That is the consequence of the choice he made.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:08   #132
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes
Then I rest my case. Australia is a Banana Republic.
Old 14-01-2022, 14:48   #133
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You'll probably disagree, but what does that make the UK when the Home Secretary can impose a whole-life tariff OR overrule a full-life tariff and sanction early release. Don't both scenarios make a bit of a mockery of our court system (and by your definition make us a Banana Republic)?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:52   #134
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
You'll probably disagree, but what does that make the UK when the Home Secretary can impose a whole-life tariff OR overrule a full-life tariff and sanction early release. Don't both scenarios make a bit of a mockery of our court system (and by your definition make us a Banana Republic)?
We’ve still got the Queen and don’t have sufficient trade in bananas for that.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 14:54   #135
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
The UK could be named as a Boomerang Republic . . . .

. . . they throw rules about that return to hit them
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote