Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 03-01-2022, 20:28   #766
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

It’s only television, OB.
good grief , realism at last was starting to wonder if it was the key to curing all the worlds ills
Old 03-01-2022, 21:02   #767
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Interesting choice of language OB.

As you well know, not purchasing a product or service is a legitimate consumer choice. I’ve been telling you for some years OB that these streaming services have an upper limit of subscribers - the idea that somehow the gap is simply the elderly have a confidence issue is laughable.
I don’t disagree, jfman and I’m not sure why you are arguing. I never said the gap is simply the elderly, did I? But that’s where the biggest gap lies.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Quote:
Captured the imagination of the British people . It’s only television, OB.
Yes, it is only TV, but people seem passionate enough about it to write so much on it in this forum, even so far as to speculate about what channel numbers may be allocated or what might happen to shopping channels.

I think Netflix has captured the imagination because it is so different from anything we had before. But like the advent of ITV back in the day, people get used to it in the end.
Old 03-01-2022, 21:27   #768
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, it is only TV, but people seem passionate enough about it to write so much on it in this forum, even so far as to speculate about what channel numbers may be allocated or what might happen to shopping channels.
With the best will in the world to everyone on CF the vast, vast majority of people simply watch television.

Quote:
I think Netflix has captured the imagination because it is so different from anything we had before. But like the advent of ITV back in the day, people get used to it in the end.
It depends what you had before I suppose. Cable companies have been pushing out on demand content for two decades now. Again, in the end I think you are mistakenly taking the view that people who don’t subscribe to streaming services do so for some irrational reason, or a lack of basic digital skills.

I think the major platforms and TV manufacturers have done an excellent job of integrating streaming services. The reality is far more likely to be the that they don’t represent good value for money to non-subscribers which ultimately the crux of all consumers discretionary spending. The comparison with ITV - a universal free to air service - is invalid.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 22:28   #769
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

To be fair on its current prices I’m generally happy with Netflix and it’s range of content in our house it’s Disney + which will be getting binned off when my annual sub expires shortly.

Netflix put lots of new content on which generally appeals to most members in our house.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 14:12   #770
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As ever, a misleading headline. In the article it states that "Netflix will continue to grow, but at a much slower rate" - so it will get bigger in the UK and has not therefore reached its peak. The quote is about the rate of growth.
Richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 16:42   #771
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

It depends what you had before I suppose. Cable companies have been pushing out on demand content for two decades now. Again, in the end I think you are mistakenly taking the view that people who don’t subscribe to streaming services do so for some irrational reason, or a lack of basic digital skills.

I think the major platforms and TV manufacturers have done an excellent job of integrating streaming services. The reality is far more likely to be the that they don’t represent good value for money to non-subscribers which ultimately the crux of all consumers discretionary spending. The comparison with ITV - a universal free to air service - is invalid.
I thought the on demand provision was great when it arrived on cable, but the choice was limited. Netflix took on demand to a whole new level.

The reality you perceive in relation to streaming services is not the reality I see, but hey, who cares? It’s only TV, eh, jfman!

The comparison to ITV was a comparison related to a new service. It was totally appropriate. The fact that some people choose not to subscribe to Netflix is the irrelevancy in the comparison I was making.
Old 04-01-2022, 17:11   #772
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I thought the on demand provision was great when it arrived on cable, but the choice was limited. Netflix took on demand to a whole new level.

The reality you perceive in relation to streaming services is not the reality I see, but hey, who cares? It’s only TV, eh, jfman!

The comparison to ITV was a comparison related to a new service. It was totally appropriate. The fact that some people choose not to subscribe to Netflix is the irrelevancy in the comparison I was making.
I fail to see how the fact people don’t subscribe to Netflix is relevant given the comparisons you have made about people getting “used” to it.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:43   #773
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I fail to see how the fact people don’t subscribe to Netflix is relevant given the comparisons you have made about people getting “used” to it.
Except that wasn't the comparison I was making. I was referring to the novelty of new services. Once again, you are being overly pedantic and you are reading into things I say statements that aren't there.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:29   #774
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Except that wasn't the comparison I was making. I was referring to the novelty of new services. Once again, you are being overly pedantic and you are reading into things I say statements that aren't there.
I’m not sure how quoting your own words can be considered pedantry. You have, on multiple occasions now, implied that people don’t take up streaming services due to unfamiliarity, rather than cost or value.
Old 05-01-2022, 19:45   #775
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I’m not sure how quoting your own words can be considered pedantry. You have, on multiple occasions now, implied that people don’t take up streaming services due to unfamiliarity, rather than cost or value.
I don't take it up as it offers nothing I want ! Got Netflix for one show ( once upon a time) .never left !
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18   #776
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Found what looks to be a good deal for sports fans:

https://auth.eurosport.co.uk/product...nner-subscribe
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:45   #777
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You have a tendency to quote out of context.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:42   #778
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
You have a tendency to quote out of context.
You have a tendency to state that, without ever demonstrating what was out of context - just as a general "get out of jail" card.

And let’s not forget your other favourite "you’re just being pedantic"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 14:12   #779
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Found what looks to be a good deal for sports fans:

https://auth.eurosport.co.uk/product...nner-subscribe
I think this is better value tbh as includes Discovery+ and some sport does get shown on Quest (ok free channel but still) https://auth.discoveryplus.com/gb/product?flow=purchase
Old 06-01-2022, 14:27   #780
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I think this is better value tbh as includes Discovery+ and some sport does get shown on Quest (ok free channel but still) https://auth.discoveryplus.com/gb/product?flow=purchase
Discovery+ with Eurosport for £29.99 for a year is a no brainier.
Excellent deal
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote