Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 01-12-2021, 10:24   #631
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A bit of your bias coming out here, jfman.
Quote:
Good idea. While they are at it, they could also get Acorn and provide it free. VM must have a lot of money sloshing about now that they don’t have to fork out for Fox, the lost Disney channels, etc. Spending it on some of the cheaper streamers sounds good to me!

Oh, the irony….
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2021, 14:47   #632
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

I remember the big raid in Italy 2 years ago took out a lot of the IPTV services, as it stands it is not illegal to watch the dodgey iptv in the uk at the moment this is expected to change though, however providing the service is a different matter entirely and can carry upto 10 years in prison.

As i've said before if anyone is using one of these dodgey iptv services have a good secure no logs vpn and make sure the vpn provider is not in any of the 5 eyes regions.
Old 01-12-2021, 14:54   #633
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I remember the big raid in Italy 2 years ago took out a lot of the IPTV services, as it stands it is not illegal to watch the dodgey iptv in the uk at the moment this is expected to change though, however providing the service is a different matter entirely and can carry upto 10 years in prison.

As i've said before if anyone is using one of these dodgey iptv services have a good secure no logs vpn and make sure the vpn provider is not in any of the 5 eyes regions.
Most use it for the sport and most IPTV services are blocked on match day so a vpn is needed to get round that anyway.

In the US a lot of the providers charge almost as much as Sky charges in the UK for the full package it is crazy
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 16:20   #634
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

May be account specific so woth checking if you have NOW, Sky sports offer £14.99p/m for 3 months nice price for over the festive season.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Most use it for the sport and most IPTV services are blocked on match day so a vpn is needed to get round that anyway.

In the US a lot of the providers charge almost as much as Sky charges in the UK for the full package it is crazy
I have a friend on Comcast in USA (it's how i get my NBC Sports they let me use their Xfinity in exchange for my Nowtv) and she pays over $300 a month for her cable tv and broadband crazy prices and maybe a warning to SKY customers as Comcast own SKY now.
Old 01-12-2021, 18:08   #635
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
May be account specific so woth checking if you have NOW, Sky sports offer £14.99p/m for 3 months nice price for over the festive season.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

I have a friend on Comcast in USA (it's how i get my NBC Sports they let me use their Xfinity in exchange for my Nowtv) and she pays over $300 a month for her cable tv and broadband crazy prices and maybe a warning to SKY customers as Comcast own SKY now.
I think they would lose a lot of customers to VM in cabled areas if they tried that.
Old 01-12-2021, 18:32   #636
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The US is generally a less competitive broadband market and Comcast enjoys a tasty 44% profit margin on its broadband business.

Here are the costs from 20 December 2021. Prices shown are for Center City and South Philadelphia.

TV
Broadcast TV fee $19.15
Regional sports fee $12.70
HD TV box and remote $8.50
Expanded Basic cable $45.27

Internet
Performance (Up to 100Mbs) $83.95 (£63.04)
Performance Pro (Up to 200 Mbs) $98.95 (£74.31)
Blast (Up to 400 Mbs) $103.95 (£78.06)
Gigabit $113.95 (£85.57)
Source: https://www.inquirer.com/business/co...-20211201.html
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 21:27   #637
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The US is generally a less competitive broadband market and Comcast enjoys a tasty 44% profit margin on its broadband business.

Here are the costs from 20 December 2021. Prices shown are for Center City and South Philadelphia.

TV
Broadcast TV fee $19.15

Internet
Gigabit $113.95 (£85.57)

Even allowing for the fact $1 usually translates to £1 for these sort of things, the costs for TV seems low compared to UK - especially the sports option.

However the broadband costs seem to be a lot higher.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 21:41   #638
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Even allowing for the fact $1 usually translates to £1 for these sort of things, the costs for TV seems low compared to UK - especially the sports option.

However the broadband costs seem to be a lot higher.
Never took sports and paid an all in cost of around $150
Old 02-12-2021, 01:28   #639
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I think they would lose a lot of customers to VM in cabled areas if they tried that.
Oh Liberty Global are far from innocent they would no doubt follow suite.

---------- Post added at 00:28 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

TV
Broadcast TV fee $19.15

Internet
Gigabit $113.95 (£85.57)
Router rental fee around $20p/m add on add ons too like HBO, Showtime, Starz, NFL etc the costs soon mount up.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:34   #640
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Router rental fee around $20p/m add on add ons too like HBO, Showtime, Starz, NFL etc the costs soon mount up.
I guess we have LLU unbundling and geography to thank for our more competitive broadband market.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:24   #641
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Maybe OT but I can't find a thread for this - quick question.

I watched the Man City match last night on Amazon and it had the 'cinema feel' to the picture although of course, in HD. Flipped over to the Liverpool / Everton match after the coverage had finished and it was a 'normal' HD picture as in what you would expect from say Sky Sports.

I thought it maybe due to my older TV and frame rates but now baffled.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:29   #642
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Was that through your Smart TV apps or via the Virgin TV box. If Virgin do you have V6/TiVo or 360?
Old 02-12-2021, 13:57   #643
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Was that through your Smart TV apps or via the Virgin TV box. If Virgin do you have V6/TiVo or 360?
Tried it through the V6 and FireTV Cube, both the same. It was just strange. Maybe Amazon are at fault...even though it's not a fault. I'll check tonight.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 15:00   #644
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
A bit of your bias coming out here, jfman.
It’s not really bias, OB. It stands to reason.

Virgin, Sky and others rely upon having a large number of subscribers and using that purchasing power, plus their reach of advertisers, to drive down the price of third party content to pennies per subscriber per month.

Fledgling streamers on the other hand believe that retailing directly to customers they can gain more revenue. The theory being that say, 250 000 subscribers per month at £8 a month would get more revenue than the scenario above. £24m per year. That, leaving advertising aside, would be about 17 pence per subscriber taking a basic Sky/Virgin package.

All these figures are scalable but the idea that huge amounts are being saved or streaming services will (as a matter of course) be integrated into aggregated packages is fanciful.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 15:14   #645
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s not really bias, OB. It stands to reason.

Virgin, Sky and others rely upon having a large number of subscribers and using that purchasing power, plus their reach of advertisers, to drive down the price of third party content to pennies per subscriber per month.

Fledgling streamers on the other hand believe that retailing directly to customers they can gain more revenue. The theory being that say, 250 000 subscribers per month at £8 a month would get more revenue than the scenario above. £24m per year. That, leaving advertising aside, would be about 17 pence per subscriber taking a basic Sky/Virgin package.

All these figures are scalable but the idea that huge amounts are being saved or streaming services will (as a matter of course) be integrated into aggregated packages is fanciful.
Agreed. It's fanciful to kid ourselves that we save money by purchasing a wide range of streaming services as we don't have the same buying power as VMO2.