Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 25-11-2021, 18:59   #601
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

And I don't know, say each one may require you to have some form of box to connect to your TV, provide a 'guide' to help you work out what's available, and may give you easy to use automatic playlists of programmes to watch.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you

Quote:
There are times when we just don’t want to make decisions. A Friday evening after a long work week. A fridge full of food but nothing jumps out. A family movie night where no one can agree. We’ve all been there.

Sometimes you just want to open Netflix and dive right into a new story. That’s why we’ve created Play Something, an exciting new way to kick back and watch.
Hang on, that seems familiar
Old 26-11-2021, 08:23   #602
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
And I don't know, say each one may require you to have some form of box to connect to your TV, provide a 'guide' to help you work out what's available, and may give you easy to use automatic playlists of programmes to watch.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/pl...e-work-for-you

Hang on, that seems familiar
Just like BBC Three, perhaps a return to linear TV will be the future for all streamers.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 09:27   #603
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
following on from that . . when they all merge, get bought out etc, you may well end up with just 2 streaming services and be paying £30 a month to each one . .
It’s almost certain. We’ve now had former DAZN executives in the media admitting the end users will ultimately pay more for less in the future.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 16:24   #604
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s almost certain. We’ve now had former DAZN executives in the media admitting the end users will ultimately pay more for less in the future.
Or possibly they will vote with their feet and cancel.

I think we may be seeing the true colours of streamers - start with a low monthly cost, attract customers, put the price up hoping most will have bought into it and stay.

End of the day, most streamers are new to the game - at least you know what you get from linear channel providers.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 18:11   #605
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

I think we may be seeing the true colours of streamers - start with a low monthly cost, attract customers, put the price up hoping most will have bought into it and stay .
The way of most start up companies low prices to get a market share . Then hope customers will not bother to cancel , as happens everyday with many subscriptions to many people !
Old 26-11-2021, 19:29   #606
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
The way of most start up companies low prices to get a market share . Then hope customers will not bother to cancel , as happens everyday with many subscriptions to many people !
Known as the drug dealer method. Free, then a low price once they're addicted then keep on upping it till the revenue is maximised.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 19:55   #607
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

See also Gillette razors
Old 26-11-2021, 20:10   #608
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
See also Gillette razors
And they have 65% worldwide market share I think I read somewhere a few years back. The 2nd place only had 15-20% to my recollection and there was no significant 3rd, it was all minor player after that.

But this is WAY off topic.

----

I wonder if Pluto TV will crash with never seen before demand tonight for Star Trek Discovery S4?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 16:29   #609
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
And they have 65% worldwide market share I think I read somewhere a few years back. The 2nd place only had 15-20% to my recollection and there was no significant 3rd, it was all minor player after that.

But this is WAY off topic.
How both are excellent examples of how the markets work. Was thinking about switching to mainly streaming . Can get everything thing I need via this manner including but not exclusively . I player, Netflix itv hub ,UKTV etc . BUT given the poor ,poor BB service and the fact the price l would pay is so close to what l am paying now it remains an option for the future.
Old 28-11-2021, 17:03   #610
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or possibly they will vote with their feet and cancel.

I think we may be seeing the true colours of streamers - start with a low monthly cost, attract customers, put the price up hoping most will have bought into it and stay.

End of the day, most streamers are new to the game - at least you know what you get from linear channel providers .
True - junk mostly. Junk and commercials! How banal can you get?

If you choose your streamers wisely, you can get far more choice of programmes for less money.
Old 28-11-2021, 18:04   #611
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
How both are excellent examples of how the markets work. Was thinking about switching to mainly streaming . Can get everything thing I need via this manner including but not exclusively . I player, Netflix itv hub ,UKTV etc . BUT given the poor ,poor BB service and the fact the price l would pay is so close to what l am paying now it remains an option for the future.
Is it really bad? Just noticed you get your BB from Sky, can't you get it from Virgin?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 18:12   #612
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

True - junk mostly. Junk and commercials! How banal can you get?

If you choose your streamers wisely, you can get far more choice of programmes for less money.
Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't give you the right to be abusive.

I am very discerning in my choice of viewing so avoid junk however it is delivered.

As for commercials, most programmes have them, hence I record programmes and skip the commercials - I only very, very rarely watch something live so commercials don't affect my viewing.

Personally, I consider most of what streamers have to offer is Junk - very little I would want to watch.

What you consider to be junk others may not and vice verse
Old 28-11-2021, 18:24   #613
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't give you the right to be abusive.

I am very discerning in my choice of viewing so avoid junk however it is delivered.

As for commercials, most programmes have them, hence I record programmes and skip the commercials - I only very, very rarely watch something live so commercials don't affect my viewing.

Personally, I consider most of what streamers have to offer is Junk - very little I would want to watch.

What you consider to be junk others may not and vice verse
I was not abusive, Raider. The banality I was referring to was in relation to content.

No need to record or fast-forward on the streamers.

Just to clarify, though, I acknowledge that if you watch a lot of sport, you are at a disadvantage. But I expect that to change over time.
Old 28-11-2021, 19:48   #614
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was not abusive, Raider. The banality I was referring to was in relation to content.

No need to record or fast-forward on the streamers.

Just to clarify, though, I acknowledge that if you watch a lot of sport, you are at a disadvantage. But I expect that to change over time.

Ok, I accept your explanation.

When I have watched via streaming I have needed to FF to the start of what I want to watch and thru the half time break - nowhere near as easy as doing it on a linear channel.

I sincerely hope you are wrong with regards to watching sport changing to streamers - so far my experience of this happening is that it costs me extra to be able to watch what I used to on linear channels.

I see no reason why this will change as streamers suck you in with a lower sub then up it when they have enough people on the hook.
Old 28-11-2021, 23:20   #615
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Is it really bad? Just noticed you get your BB from Sky, can't you get it from Virgin?
Don't know what you think you are looking at my BB TV and house phone is all virgin . Have access to sky go . Mobile is Tesco so O2