Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 17-11-2021, 17:48   #406
Huxie
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Volt
Huxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about themHuxie has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treble3 View Post
£79.99 ultimate oomph 600mb no uhd movies
Nice one! You must have the gift of the gab
Huxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2021, 10:52   #407
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

TBH 1gig is pointless really for me.

I have 600meg and the other week I was downloading a 9GB update to Far Cry 6 on my X1, the speeds were from 120meg down to 800K.

If companies won't speed up their output, why bother
Old 21-11-2021, 13:59   #408
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I had a text from Virgin a couple of days ago

'We're carrying out essential works in your area on Wednesday 24 November to improve your services, Sorry for any possible disruptions on the day'.

I wonder if 1Gig will be available in my area as last?
Old 21-11-2021, 14:35   #409
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I wonder if 1Gig will be available in my area as last?
I have had two or three of those and they don't seem to coincide with the upgrade being available.

It has finally been made available to my area this week and I have signed up for an extra £10/month. I specifically asked if I would be getting a hub 5 and they said it would be a hub 4
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 19:35   #410
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Stand by for a before and after:

Old 23-11-2021, 22:11   #411
General Maximus
Ran Away

Well I am really ****ed off. I have spent 3 hours messing about trying to get the thing to work and it looks like it is finally up and running atm (fingers crossed). I won't go into detail now because I am dying for a bath and some tea but the results are what I had hoped:

Old 23-11-2021, 22:44   #412
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It's great, mon General. I've had 1 Gig for just under two years and never below 945/52.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2021, 22:55   #413
General Maximus
Ran Away

It flipping needed to be for all the stress i have had.
Old 24-11-2021, 08:12   #414
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

What was the problem getting it to work?
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 10:02   #415
General Maximus
Ran Away

I can't get into now because I have got to go to work, I'll tell you later, but here is a tease:

Old 24-11-2021, 20:27   #416
General Maximus
Ran Away

Okay, I will try and not go on and on and get to the point. I'll start by saying that my shub3 has always been mint and my power levels, which I have posted many a time before for other forum users, have always been perfect.

So, I disconnected my shub 3 yesterday evening and hooked up the shub 4. The instructions said they get automatically registered on the network and it can take up to 10 minutes. I left it 15 minutes and the led was still flashing white which meant nothing to me so I googled the led colours. It bugs me that they have got rid of the arrows the previous shubs had so you can't see what it happening. The shub was allegedly still in the boot phase so I thought I would try logging into the gui to see what is going on. It looked like it had come up but under status it said something like "no rf signal detected". I turned it off and checked the cables and turned it back on again and the same thing happened. I reconnected my shub 3 and it came back up straight away with no errors and the power levels were still perfect. I disconnected it and reconnected the shub 4 and this time it stayed on "obtaining CM IP address" for ages before it eventually returned "registration failed". I rang the number in the booklet for if you have problems after 10 minutes and an Indian dude told me it hadn't been registered on the network yet, he would do it and it would take 5 mins and then hung up on me.

I left it 5 mins and nothing happened so I rang back and went through the automated process and got a hit sent down straight away. At this point I was thinking "hallelujah" because the led turned green and I knew it was doing an update. After a few mins it came up, I logged into the gui and it was only showing 1 downstream channel and 1 upstream channel. I rebooted it and it came back with 32 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels.

All the downstream channels were -22 to -28 and upstream channels were 56. I tried rebooting it again and had the same problem. It was getting close to 21:00 at this point and I had had enough. I tried ringing tech support so I can get an engineer out to look at it but instead it ran a test on the line and came back with "an intermittent signal fault". I thought that was too much of a coincidence and checked the service status page on my phone and it said everything was okay. There was an option to give them your mobile number if you were still having problems and they would send you a link to book a technician. I did that because I wanted to book one asap but instead of letting you book a tech it went through bullshit troubleshooting techniques and when it got to the end and asked you if you still had a problem it then says "most problems are resolved within 24 hours, If you are still experiencing problems after this time please come back and we'll help you book a technician".

I was ready to give up at this point but for one last ditch effort I thought I would try removing the 3db fpa from the back of the shub for what little difference it would make to -28 power levels. I removed the fpa and the shub came back up pretty much immediately with 32 downstream channels and 4 upstreams. The downstream channels were 0 - 9 and the upstreams were 41.2. I thought I had cracked it at this point and proceeded to put the shub in modem mode. It rebooted and went into modem mode and only locked onto 1 downstream channel and 1 upstream. I put it back into router mode and it locked onto 32 and 4 again. I tried once more to put it into modem mode and it did come back with 32 and 4. At this point I thought I was finished and posted the speed test above. I had bath and some tea and lay down in bed and watched the penultimate episode of Foundation before I wanted to catch some zzzzzz.

Just before I went to bed I thought I would take one last look to make sure everything was okay. Each of my downstream channels had over 100,000 post-rs errors and each of the upstream channels had over 100 T3 timeouts.

I needed to sleep at this point so I left it and thought I would come back to it today. When I looked at my graph this morning I could see things didn't go well overnight but at some point the shub rebooted and when I looked at it this morning everything appeared fine and all the errors had cleared.

I have come in from work and things haven't got any better. It looks like the shub has rebooted at least once again during the day. I have got 32 downstream channels and only 1 upstream channel with 21 T3 timeouts as it currently stands. I am just waiting till 20:30 for when the system will let me book a flipping tech. The annoying thing now is that I need to wait till Monday (if I can get one out) for somebody to come out so I am here and can explain everything that is happening.

All I can say is thank god for modem mode and Asus routers. Whilst all this drama and reboots have been going on, everything on the lan side has been ticking away nicely with no loss of connectivity between devices.
Old 24-11-2021, 21:44   #417
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Good luck!
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 22:21   #418
General Maximus
Ran Away

I forgot to mention that nothing is being reported in the network log, it is blank. If I log into the shub and go through, advanced settings, tool and network status the downstream channels are clean but if I don't log in and click on router status each of the channels shows a gazillion post rs errors. So which is it?

Anyways, finally got a tech booked for Monday afternoon.
Old 24-11-2021, 22:33   #419
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Are you able to paste the stats, mon General? It's a matter of looking at what is actually configured - as in the D3.1 channel and the upstream protocol.

Also the current TBB graph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 23:17   #420
General Maximus
Ran Away