Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2021, 19:28   #7576
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Surely the government didn’t need to be told by SAGE about the situation in Europe who were approx some six weeks ahead of us in terms of infection rates, hospitalisations, deaths & lockdowns.
They knew that. BUT:

Sage was advising not to lock down too early because the fear was that people would get fed up and start breaking the rules just at a crucial point, when the infection rate started to come down, AND

We did not have a vaccine, and so lockdowns by themselves would not take out the virus. It would simply come back when the lockdown was withdrawn.

If the government was supremely confident that a vaccine was just around the corner, their decisions would almost certainly have been different.
Old 13-10-2021, 21:18   #7577
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They knew that. BUT:

Sage was advising not to lock down too early because the fear was that people would get fed up and start breaking the rules just at a crucial point, when the infection rate started to come down, AND

We did not have a vaccine, and so lockdowns by themselves would not take out the virus. It would simply come back when the lockdown was withdrawn.

If the government was supremely confident that a vaccine was just around the corner, their decisions would almost certainly have been different.
When did you lock down OB?
Old 13-10-2021, 21:28   #7578
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Don't answer that, OB.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-10-2021, 21:32   #7579
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Yes interesting one this, Merck that also produced Ivermectin that was reported to alleviate COVID hospitalization and deaths but has been rubbished left right and centre and ‘no evidence’. Etc etc. Merck’s patent on Ivermectin has ran out meaning it can be produced for about £5 a dose.

But now Merck have produced a new drug “Molnupiravur” which is totally effective against COVID and nothing like Ivermectin guvenor oh no, this is the proper stuff you want.

Price for you? I can do it for £750 a dose.

Good news for all those born yesterday.
For those born today, here is the reality, not the Internet conspiracy theory…

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2R32JP
Quote:
Dr. Stephen Griffin, virologist and associate professor at the University of Leeds (here), told Reuters that molnupiravir is not repackaged ivermectin.

The two drugs have “dissimilar chemistry,” he said. “There is no way that Merck is doing this,” he said.

“Molnupiravir is a derivative of a nucleotide that, predictably, interferes with the RNA replication of the virus. While Ivermectin does also have a defined mechanism of action, BUT it’s against ion channels found in parasites,” Griffin said.

Information profiles are viewable on Drugs.com for molnupiravir (here) and ivermectin (www.drugs.com/ivermectin.html).

Paul Auwaerter, the Clinical Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases (here) at Johns Hopkins Medicine told Reuters via email that the only similarity the two drugs have is that they “have been brought to the FDA for market approval by the Merck Company.”

The professor pointed to structural differences between the two drugs, which can be explored in papers here and here and drug class differences. “Ivermectin is classified as a macrocyclic lactone. It is derived from Streptomyces avermitilis which is a bacterium." Molnupiravir, rather, is classified as a nucleoside analog (like some HIV medications) and works as an antiviral, he said.
Strangely enough, exactly the same Bolleaux was being spread about the Pfizer anti-viral treatment when it was announced a couple of days before the Merck announcement, then the tinfoil milliners seamlessly swivelled to spread the same ordure about Merck.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 13-10-2021 at 21:36.
Old 13-10-2021, 21:57   #7580
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Don't answer that, OB.
Our Prime Minister addressed the nation on 16 March. Avoid all unnecessary contact.

I as a middle class, white, professional did my civic duty. Abandoning my Republican principles and not celebrating the feast day of Saint Patrick.

Did OB in his personal life “shield the vulnerable” on 17 March or fundamentally go into lockdown?
Old 13-10-2021, 22:03   #7581
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ah yes, the classic I’ll make a statement easily disproved but stand by it. You should run for a political office!
Old 13-10-2021, 22:10   #7582
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Ah yes, the classic I’ll make a statement easily disproved but stand by it. You should run for a political office!
That’s a question, not a statement.
Old 13-10-2021, 22:14   #7583
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That’s a question, not a statement.
Whatever………….
Old 13-10-2021, 22:19   #7584
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Whatever………….
We know you don’t care Pierre. Except you do to the extent you have the second most posts in the thread. As ever I can’t wait for what insights you bring tomorrow.
Old 13-10-2021, 22:23   #7585
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
For those born today, here is the reality, not the Internet conspiracy theory…

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2R32JP

Strangely enough, exactly the same Bolleaux was being spread about the Pfizer anti-viral treatment when it was announced a couple of days before the Merck announcement, then the tinfoil milliners seamlessly swivelled to spread the same ordure about Merck.
Critical thought Hugh, critical thought…………………….

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
We know you don’t care Pierre.
I just don’t care for you.
Old 13-10-2021, 22:25   #7586
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Our Prime Minister addressed the nation on 16 March. Avoid all unnecessary contact.

I as a middle class, white, professional did my civic duty. Abandoning my Republican principles and not celebrating the feast day of Saint Patrick.

Did OB in his personal life “shield the vulnerable” on 17 March or fundamentally go into lockdown?
Don't answer that either, OB! jfman omitted the word "John" in one of his sentences.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-10-2021, 22:32   #7587
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And here you are, day after day, of all the places to be.
Old 13-10-2021, 23:18   #7588
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
And here you are, day after day, of all the places to be.
Christ, if you think I frequent this forum because you’re here….that’s some narcissistic issue right there. But yes, I see you could hold such a deluded perspective given your post history. There is definitely a love of self there. ………. A bit single paced though, if you know what I mean?
Old 13-10-2021, 23:24   #7589
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Christ, if you think I frequent this forum because you’re here….that’s some narcissistic issue right there. But yes, I see you could hold such a deluded perspective given your post history. There is definitely a love of self there. ………. A bit single paced though, if you know what I mean?
As I say, despite being a "member" since 2003 your insight (or lack thereof) into this subject accounts for over 5% of your posts. I don't spend my time posting on the internet about subjects of little interest to me - maybe you do, I'm not one to judge.
Old 13-10-2021, 23:42   #7590
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Critical thought Hugh, critical thought…………………….

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Obviously not critical thinking enough to do a 30 second search…

Critical thinking is the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgement, not "ooh, this supports my biases, it must be true"; promulgation of baseless rumours is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "critical thinking".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread