Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 04-10-2021, 15:14   #10711
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

You don’t have to tell me there’s no business model for a streaming only service - I’ve been saying it for years.
Yet. But nobody said right now, although Amazon is streaming only of course, but with the smallest package.
Old 04-10-2021, 15:28   #10712
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yet. But nobody said right now, although Amazon is streaming only of course, but with the smallest package.
Although for pubs and bars I think they offer a linear channel through BT Sport.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 15:51   #10713
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes the bargain basement rights that the league couldn’t even get their reserve price for. This isn’t reflective of a competitive auction for them.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Although for pubs and bars I think they offer a linear channel through BT Sport.
As do DAZN in Germany and Italy (not via BT, of course).

Indeed if the complaints in Italy are anything to go by I’m not sure any billion pound organisation is going to bet their reputation on streaming only while charging €30 a month. There’s a backup DTT option in some regions but still many complaints and an emergency summit between the league and DAZN on what they are going to do about it.

The relative buttons it costs to maintain a linear presence looks good value.

Last edited by jfman; 04-10-2021 at 15:56.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:03   #10714
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes the bargain basement rights that the league couldn’t even get their reserve price for. This isn’t reflective of a competitive auction for them.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

As do DAZN in Germany and Italy (not via BT, of course).

Indeed if the complaints in Italy are anything to go by I’m not sure any billion pound organisation is going to bet their reputation on streaming only while charging €30 a month. There’s a backup DTT option in some regions but still many complaints and an emergency summit between the league and DAZN on what they are going to do about it.

The relative buttons it costs to maintain a linear presence looks good value.
Again, it’s the broadband that is letting them down in Italy.

My advice to any sports provider is to ensure their programming is also available on conventional channels also until such time as the country they are broadcasting to has properly completed their broadband rollout.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:20   #10715
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Again, it’s the broadband that is letting them down in Italy.

My advice to any sports provider is to ensure their programming is also available on conventional channels also until such time as the country they are broadcasting to has properly completed their broadband rollout.
The key distribution method not being up to standard is a massive hole in any streaming only future and the immediate business models of anyone going down that route, I’m sure you’d agree.

The reality slow plans for extending FTTP (or equivalent) broadband coverage into very rural areas will always mean there is a market who cannot be catered for by streaming alone. Plus the hundreds of thousands of homes with no broadband at all.

This puts any transition much further away than you present.

Last edited by jfman; 05-10-2021 at 09:28.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:28   #10716
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I suspect that the X in 20X5 for full UK high speed broadband roll-out is liable to be closer to 3 than to 2.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:52   #10717
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I suspect that the X in 20X5 for full UK high speed broadband roll-out is liable to be closer to 3 than to 2.
Probably closer to 5 than 2 for the furthest reaches of the country.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:13   #10718
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The key distribution method not being up to standard is a massive hole in any streaming only future and the immediate business models of anyone going down that route, I’m sure you’d agree.

The reality slow plans for extending FTTP (or equivalent) broadband coverage into very rural areas will always mean there is a market who cannot be catered for by streaming alone. Plus the hundreds of thousands of homes with no broadband at all.

What I would agree with is that the key distribution method not being up to standard is a massive hole in the present.

What cannot be said without evidence to justify it is that this problem will not be rectified in the future.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:21   #10719
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What I would agree with is that the key distribution method not being up to standard is a massive hole in the present.

What cannot be said without evidence to justify it is that this problem will not be rectified in the future.
Boot's on t'other foot - one needs to evidence that an existing situation will alter.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37   #10720
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Boot's on t'other foot - one needs to evidence that an existing situation will alter.
Not really. The expectation is that superfast broadband will rollout to the rest of the country. The government's timetable might be a bit out, but the situation will be quite different in a decade.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:06   #10721
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Not really. The expectation is that superfast broadband will rollout to the rest of the country. The government's timetable might be a bit out, but the situation will be quite different in a decade.
Will it? The Government have already slipped a 2025 commitment to 2033. And that’s still 12 years away. Then there’s a world of difference between availability of services and uptake of FTTP services.

In extremely rural areas residents are being quoted six figure sums just to get a 10 megabit connection, never mind full fibre.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...so-quotes.html
Old 05-10-2021, 14:47   #10722
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Does the country really need super or ultra fast broadband to be rolled out before rural areas can experience decent internet?
Everything I read about Starlink from beta testers seem to indicate most if not all area's can expect 100-150 meg download speeds fairly consistently.
Ok that's not VM or FTTP speeds but its comparable to the best speeds most ISP's offer at the moment.
The service at the moment is expensive and from what I've seen is still a bit buggy but it will get cheaper and more reliable once its out of beta and more Satellites are in the sky.

This is just one way a more universal internet coverage will be delivered, One Web will offer something similar and 5G will also cover many more areas soonish.

All of that being said I hope DAZN don't take over BT Sport, BT has imho the best streaming service going, I'm talking technically not content.
It just works, it never buffers even when streaming UHD HDR with Dolby Atmos games, for live sporting events BT Sports streaming infrastructure is second to none.
If DAZN are successful I hope the use BT's infrastructure across their network but I would guess they will cheap out on this.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 15:03   #10723
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Does the country really need super or ultra fast broadband to be rolled out before rural areas can experience decent internet?
Everything I read about Starlink from beta testers seem to indicate most if not all area's can expect 100-150 meg download speeds fairly consistently.
Ok that's not VM or FTTP speeds but its comparable to the best speeds most ISP's offer at the moment.
The service at the moment is expensive and from what I've seen is still a bit buggy but it will get cheaper and more reliable once its out of beta and more Satellites are in the sky.

This is just one way a more universal internet coverage will be delivered, One Web will offer something similar and 5G will also cover many more areas soonish.

All of that being said I hope DAZN don't take over BT Sport, BT has imho the best streaming service going, I'm talking technically not content.
It just works, it never buffers even when streaming UHD HDR with Dolby Atmos games, for live sporting events BT Sports streaming infrastructure is second to none.
If DAZN are successful I hope the use BT's infrastructure across their network but I would guess they will cheap out on this.
The whole country needs access before it ceases to be viable for a mixed streaming, satellite, cable presence to coexist. As you point out BT successfully work across streaming, in addition to satellite/cable and their own TV platform.
Old 05-10-2021, 15:06   #10724
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There are multiple existing threads for this discussion … can we please keep this one on topic.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07   #10725
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Will it? The Government have already slipped a 2025 commitment to 2033. And that’s still 12 years away. Then there’s a world of difference between availability of services and uptake of FTTP services.

In extremely rural areas residents are being quoted six figure sums just to get a 10 megabit connection, never mind full fibre.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...so-quotes.html
BT plan to complete their rollout by 2026 and Virgin by 2028. As far as remotest communities are concerned, they could all be covered by satellite broadband, but I’m unsure whether there are any plans for that.

The remotest communities didn’t even get hooked up to the electricity until relatively recently, and some may still not have an electricity supply. I don’t see why the absence of broadband in these areas would prevent streaming only services to become widespread, as buckeye said, and so I remain of the view that Premiere League sports will be streamed only before many people think.

The only question is which streaming services will they be? Clearly, Amazon and DAZN are already committed. Disney and Discovery are also hot contenders.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 06-10-2021 at 09:12.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote