Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 06-09-2021, 12:56   #256
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Im paying £67 for 1Gig BB and Landline with all calls included.

We just have Freesat for TV with a firestick and Netflix account all we need.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2021, 09:02   #257
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

So, VM said they would rollout gig1 to their whole network by the end of 2021, a 2 year timetable, and with 3.5 months to go have a little under 50% of it done.... do we think they will make the date?
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:22   #258
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
So, VM said they would rollout gig1 to their whole network by the end of 2021, a 2 year timetable, and with 3.5 months to go have a little under 50% of it done.... do we think they will make the date?
Well it's a bit better than that

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/vir...million-homes/

Quote:
  • Virgin Media O2’s gigabit network now stretches to more than 10 million homes across the UK, meaning Virgin Media customers can now access average download speeds of 1,130Mbps – 14 times faster than the national average
  • Latest switch-on sees a further 1.7 million homes added to gigabit network with Blackpool, Cambridge, Leicester, Nottingham, Oxford, Swindon and many others now connected
  • Gigabit speeds enable consumers to send and receive large files, download TV shows, films and computer games in seconds
  • Virgin Media O2 is spearheading the UK’s gigabit charge with gigabit speeds available on two thirds of its national network, with its entire footprint of 15.5 million homes set to be upgraded before the end of 2021
Old 07-09-2021, 11:37   #259
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
To be fair until about 10 mins before I posted that, it was 8m out of 15.5m
Old 07-09-2021, 14:57   #260
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...milestone.html
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 16:28   #261
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed that 1gig is now available in Hartlepool. I thought it was reserved for the large towns and cities. VM tell me I need to re-contract to upgrade my UO package to 1gig.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 16:38   #262
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The list tends to always list major area it's gone live in, but the availability is always the surrounding areas connected to the headend there.

Due to cable's history as I've said before, you're not always connected to the major area you think you are.
Old 07-09-2021, 17:08   #263
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Getting our upgrade Friday. Self install SH4, will probably set to modem mode to keep things easy.
Old 07-09-2021, 17:54   #264
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonespeaker View Post
I noticed that 1gig is now available in Hartlepool. I thought it was reserved for the large towns and cities. VM tell me I need to re-contract to upgrade my UO package to 1gig.
I was 3 months away from having to re-contract so just did it the other day to get the 1 gig.
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 18:47   #265
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I says Nottingham is now live so hopefully Lincoln will follow very soon.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 18:53   #266
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

My brother and I both live in Nottingham, my post code says 1Gig available, his says 500Mb only, why would this be? He lives around 2 miles away.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 19:05   #267
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Give it a couple of days, they still might be working their way through the postcode list making it available in each area. I think Nottingham has literally been turned on in the last couple of days because I know Paul (forum admin) checked last week following some area upgrades and it wasn't available.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 20:42   #268
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

It appears for me now

Quote:
Gig1 Fibre Broadband, £62 a month

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 21:47   #269
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
My brother and I both live in Nottingham, my post code says 1Gig available, his says 500Mb only, why would this be? He lives around 2 miles away.
Nottingham is actually pretty fragmented in the VM network. It's split across Nottingham, Clifton, Basford, Mapperley and Stapleford hubsites.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 22:16   #270
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Nottingham is actually pretty fragmented in the VM network. It's split across Nottingham, Clifton, Basford, Mapperley and Stapleford hubsites.
I notice Cambridge is now enabled, does that have any relevance to Ipswich? Any areas I should look out for as bellwethers?