Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Renew with o2 or go with virgin media....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Renew with o2 or go with virgin media....

Old 16-08-2021, 01:53   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Renew with o2 or go with virgin media....

Yes i know they're merging but it won't be for a while based on virgin media having a network deal with EE (Or vodafone...)

I'm currnetly on o2 and pay a ridiculous amount of money because i used to upgrade every year via o2 recycle. Currently i'm paying £85 quid (yes im an idiot) and my contract finally, finally ends in october. I was looking forwad to abandoning o2 after 18 years but instead i hear virgin media and o2 are merging...

So my questions:

1) Apparently having a virgin media tv/internet/landline package doesnt give you any sort of package with virgin mobile too? Any idea why they're treated as "separate"?

2) Do we know how long virgin media will use their third party network supplier? Any news on if they can go with o2s network quicker?

3) What do we think I should be doing at this point as a long term o2 customer and a long term virgin media customer? I seem to be at an awkward moment haha

Any advice on how to get a good contract will be appreciated too!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2021, 01:59   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Renew with o2 or go with virgin media....

They have the ooomph packages with mobile. I got offered one when I wanted to cancel.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 16:59   #3
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard to advise without knowing which Virgin package you're on, the amount you're paying, and your mobile usage.

1. There are a few bundles available on VM's website which include a SIM card. Have a look here: https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/packages
As you're an existing customer it might be worth talking to VM to see if they can renew your package and add a SIM.

2. Virgin Media have just signed a 5 year MVNO agreement with Vodafone which they currently intend on fulfilling so it's going to be a while yet before they move to O2.

3. You should be looking at what offers are available across all networks to fit your usage. There are some attractive SIM only deals on uswitch.com which may work out cheaper than combining everything to one provider.

I have the ultimate oomph package at £77 per month (last years Black Friday deal) but I watch the BT Sport and Sky Sports channels a lot and regularly hotspot to my phone when not at home so also use a lot of data on the SIM. If you don't much data then there are several SIM only deals for under £10 which may suit you better and save you money.
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 22:30   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

With virgin you would pay over the going rate if you take a new phone . Looked at a oppo a74 cost a whopping £70 more via them as opposed to buying from AO( still think they mispriced it, ) like l care . more the price else were for a54.
Old 17-08-2021, 00:00   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Yes i know they're merging but it won't be for a while based on virgin media having a network deal with EE (Or vodafone...)

I'm currnetly on o2 and pay a ridiculous amount of money because i used to upgrade every year via o2 recycle. Currently i'm paying £85 quid (yes im an idiot) and my contract finally, finally ends in october. I was looking forwad to abandoning o2 after 18 years but instead i hear virgin media and o2 are merging...

So my questions:

1) Apparently having a virgin media tv/internet/landline package doesnt give you any sort of package with virgin mobile too? Any idea why they're treated as "separate"?

2) Do we know how long virgin media will use their third party network supplier? Any news on if they can go with o2s network quicker?

3) What do we think I should be doing at this point as a long term o2 customer and a long term virgin media customer? I seem to be at an awkward moment haha

Any advice on how to get a good contract will be appreciated too!
Yes Vince you are an idiot, you said you used to upgrade every year and you are still paying for the privelidge. A SIM only deal from O2 with unlimited calls, texts and data is £30 pm. You can get the same for £20 from smarty.

You are paying £55 a month for a new phone every year and then giving them your old one! I'm sorry but how stupid is that???

Put £50 a month in a savings account,get a new phone when you feel you need one, put your old phone back to factory settings, get an unlock code if needed (they have to supply it free at end of contract) and sell it on Ebay. You'll end up quids in

@gaz82 the deal with Vodaphone was signed in 2019.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ew-mobile-deal

Last edited by pip08456; 17-08-2021 at 00:07.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 00:18   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yes Vince you are an idiot, you said you used to upgrade every year and you are still paying for the privelidge. A SIM only deal from O2 with unlimited calls, texts and data is £30 pm. You can get the same for £20 from smarty.

You are paying £55 a month for a new phone every year and then giving them your old one! I'm sorry but how stupid is that???

Put £50 a month in a savings account,get a new phone when you feel you need one, put your old phone back to factory settings, get an unlock code if needed (they have to supply it free at end of contract) and sell it on Ebay. You'll end up quids in

I want to know how much he’s paying for his TV XL, Phone XL and 100 meg. £60? £70? Legacy pricing fairly creeps up fast.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 12:53   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

I want to know how much he’s paying for his TV XL, Phone XL and 100 meg. £60? £70? Legacy pricing fairly creeps up fast.
My good lord ,that much ok so not as much but works for me, maxit TV 100meg and lowest phone package ( never use it so a waste of money) £49 and that is a recent offer. Within the last 6 weeks or so.deal
is for 18 months.
Old 17-08-2021, 13:48   #8
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
My good lord ,that much ok so not as much but works for me, maxit TV 100meg and lowest phone package ( never use it so a waste of money) £49 and that is a recent offer. Within the last 6 weeks or so.deal
is for 18 months.
TV L, 100meg and phone with a couple of small extras. . £55 a month.

Wife wants me to 'renegotiate' to a lower price, however I'm quite likely to tell em to shove it if I get the 'wrong' person on the phone

I'd be quite happy with BB only, screw the TV junk
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 15:13   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Wife wants me to 'renegotiate' to a lower price, however I'm quite likely to tell em to shove it if I get the 'wrong' person on the phone

Tell the wife to do the renegotiating and if it goes tits up she can't blame you.
Old 17-08-2021, 15:15   #10
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Tell the wife to do the renegotiating and if it goes tits up she can't blame you.

They won't speak to her . . . maybe they're not daft after all
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 17:15   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

putting your notice in is always the way to go in my experience as you only get the best offers on the call back you get ( well I have last few times ) within a couple of days of putting your 30 days in
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 18:08   #12
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
putting your notice in is always the way to go in my experience as you only get the best offers on the call back you get ( well I have last few times ) within a couple of days of putting your 30 days in
Didn't need to do that just spoke very nicely to the guy. Mind you offer from sky came in very handy
Old 23-08-2021, 02:49   #13
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

ahhahaha i agree with all this so i hold my hands up and own it.

in regards to some of the other questions i've noticed: is virgin media that expensive compared to other networks? They seem quite reasonable to me!

I pay 105 quid for virgin media but that includes sky movies, sky sports, premier sports etc and TV XL and fastest broadband etc. Again i'm willing to be called an idiot with this...i've been through retentions and that was the best i was offered so i'll need to be trained up here if i can make more savings with what i need to say.

Basically im thinking of getting a new contract shortly. o2 are letting me upgrade 2 months early to the current Iphone and i can make 280 quid on my old phone via recycling it. My thoughts are im no longer that bothered about having the latest model and secondly if i can recycle it before the new iphone is announced i'd make more money and be on a cheaper contract anyway...

Plus arent there rumours about a shortage for the new Iphone due to shortage of microchips? Could I however get a better deal with o2 by hanging on until deadline day? Will i get begging offers from them including ipads etc?

EE has better 5G coverage in my area but since i have broadband at home and o2 have 5G in the city where i work it doesnt seem that much of an impact.

Again anymore advice is appreciated and im quite happy to be called a ****** as i have been hahahaha

Last edited by vincerooney; 23-08-2021 at 02:53. Reason: .
Old 16-09-2021, 02:24   #14
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Ladies and gents i am now out of my o2 contract after 16 years!! let me know any deals you hear. i wish to be head hunted...
Old 16-09-2021, 10:39   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You can get very good deals if you get a job with VM/O2! Likely not applicable but it is the best way to save money on services.