Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 12-06-2021, 12:04   #1246
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Britain outside the EU

*Respect and trust are missing

*The EU has long experience of bending the rules when it wants to

*Nobody trusts Boris
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2021, 12:20   #1247
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Interesting (imho) commentary in the Times today.

Basically, foreign leaders don't trust Boris to keep his word, because

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...nson-zgmffxtk2
Good analysis. What goes around comes around. Maybe Seph is right that another leader could sort this out more effectively with the EU.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:27   #1248
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

A rather good analysis

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:39   #1249
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I hope that the British Sausage is on the breakfast menu.
From yesterday's Metro

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/10/joe-b...JyqPjZ6bGsEvUM

Quote:
Joe Biden to give Boris a hand in sausage war as he tries to beat off EU
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sausagewars.jpeg (190.6 KB, 52 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 16:43   #1250
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good analysis. What goes around comes around. Maybe Seph is right that another leader could sort this out more effectively with the EU.
I have a gut feeling that what Boris actually wants is to pull out of this deal. And he is rather cleverly pulling the public around to that point of view.

It’s what he would have preferred to happen, let’s face it, but the political risk was too high at the time the deal was done.

This won’t change the situation in respect of the NI/Ireland border but it will enable trade from Britain to resume unencumbered. Faced with that threat, the EU might just start to take the need to negotiate on the protocol more seriously and we resolve the matter that way.

A win-win for Boris, whichever way it goes.
Old 12-06-2021, 19:26   #1251
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have a gut feeling that what Boris actually wants is to pull out of this deal. And he is rather cleverly pulling the public around to that point of view.

It’s what he would have preferred to happen, let’s face it, but the political risk was too high at the time the deal was done.

This won’t change the situation in respect of the NI/Ireland border but it will enable trade from Britain to resume unencumbered. Faced with that threat, the EU might just start to take the need to negotiate on the protocol more seriously and we resolve the matter that way.

A win-win for Boris, whichever way it goes.
You’ve hit new heights of idiocy if you think the above will happen.

As has already been said withdrawing/no deal will cause the collapse of the Good Friday agreement and the return of a hard border on the island or Ireland. It will NEVER happen.
Old 12-06-2021, 19:44   #1252
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I remember a heck of a lot of people saying Brexit would never happen, you were possibly one of them
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 19:58   #1253
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I remember a heck of a lot of people saying Brexit would never happen, you were possibly one of them

If you can’t see the difference in severity between the two I might suggest you go and join old boy i
Old 12-06-2021, 19:59   #1254
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
You’ve hit new heights of idiocy if you think the above will happen.

As has already been said withdrawing/no deal will cause the collapse of the Good Friday agreement and the return of a hard border on the island or Ireland. It will NEVER happen.
I think more likely than your scenario is that Johnson will continue unilaterally with the grace period. The EU will retaliate as they've threatened; Johnson might invoke Article 16 but that will only prolong the agony. It is possible that the EU/UK agreements will fall through entirely. leaving the EU with the hard birder problem.

I don't see the GFA collapsing; the only way that would collapse if sectarian violence takes hold and a military border becomes necessary. That will be the EU's fault.

Old 12-06-2021, 21:51   #1255
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think more likely than your scenario is that Johnson will continue unilaterally with the grace period. The EU will retaliate as they've threatened; Johnson might invoke Article 16 but that will only prolong the agony. It is possible that the EU/UK agreements will fall through entirely. leaving the EU with the hard birder problem.

I don't see the GFA collapsing; the only way that would collapse if sectarian violence takes hold and a military border becomes necessary. That will be the EU's fault.
Old Boy's scenario is unrealistic. A hard border would breach the Good Friday Agreement so that's not on the cards, as mrmistoffelees has explained.
To help unblock the impasse, it would do no harm for BoJo to replace David Frost with someone with a less confrontational approach.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-06-2021 at 22:00.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 22:10   #1256
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Old Boy's scenario is unrealistic. A hard border would breach the Good Friday Agreement so that's not on the cards, as mrmistoffelees has explained.
To help unblock the impasse, it would do no harm for BoJo to replace David Frost with someone with a less confrontational approach.
Mrmistofelees referred to the collapse of the GFA, not a breach; quite a difference. But in the circumstances I've mooted, it would be the EU that would cause the GFA breach.

As regards David Frost, we need to stand firm - be it he or someone else. There needs to be a pragmatic solution that allows us to to supply goods to NI supermarkets unfettered by customs formalities. I regard the EU as being confrontationalist, threatening to bring all hell down on us as we protect sending the British Sausage to NI without any EU controls.

Old 12-06-2021, 22:24   #1257
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

As I understand it, and believe me I am not interested in it very much. By the the letter of the agreement checks can be can be enforced. However, for domestic products for domestic consumption the U.K. did not expect checks to be done, they understood they could be, but they did not expect them to be done.

As Chris has pointed out, the EU are just a rules based bureaucracy that is who they are. It’s petty and unnecessary. But the U.K. should have expected this from the EU.

Either way, a solution would be very easy to reach for rational people............do you know any.
Old 12-06-2021, 22:33   #1258
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I wonder if opening a sausage factory in NI would be a good business move at the moment?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 22:35   #1259
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I wonder if opening a sausage factory in NI would be a good business move at the moment?
Where would the meat come from
Old 12-06-2021, 22:39   #1260
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Last time I was in NI I noticed they had the odd farm here and there, granted it was a few years ago but I doubt it's changed that much!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote