Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 10-06-2021, 09:00   #1201
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Talking of the Irish, any news snippets on this subject from the First Minister or Deputy?

I guess they have more important issues this week, and sausages can play a back role
I was having a look myself. Of course, the negotiation from the Irish side of things is being done by Maroš Šefčovič of the EU Commission but this is what I am seeing;

Biden intervention in NI Protocol row 'significant' - Taoiseach
EU frustration at lack of protocol progress - Coveney
Northern Ireland faces ‘turbulent few months’ over Brexit, says Varadkar (OK deputy leader)
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2021, 09:43   #1202
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

It's very disappointing to see Andrew and Jon explaining things from the enemy's perspective. Johnson signed a bum deal and here we are - in difficulty.

But coming at the results of Johnson's folly from a defensive EU perspective is downright unpatriotic.

The Referendum authorised the Guvmin to leave the EU; the Remainers bemoaned this and now are in total "we told you so" mode.

It is bad that Biden sides with Ireland. He is equally of English and Irish descent (so far as I have ascertained) but he openly declares himself as Irish-American. That immediately places him with the perfidious Varadkar and Coveney. So, Biden is no friend of ours.

Then there's Coveny, the tail wagging the EU dog. I hope this all comes back to bite him when he finds his country's exports screwed because of EU intransigence. There is very little now that can stop the Unionist backlash on both Johnson and Ireland. The Marching Season (a stupidity in itself) will likely bring violence and Biden will not have protected the Belfast Agreement; the violence can't be stopped, imo, and Johnson is going to face the music for this.

But we must not give in to the EU, whose only true aim is to punish the UK for daring to leave its poxy hegemony.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:57   #1203
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Cheers jonbxx, some good reads there, most of which seems to be concerned with a possible breakdown of the 'peace process' . . and a return to the bad old days I guess, although that, like the Palestine/Israel thing, won't go away.

No mention of sausages anywhere, either because the articles are slightly dated or it's only the English press that reduce a top story to the base ingredient of 'sausages'

I was hoping I'd find . . anywhere . . a quote from a NI butcher, along the lines of "my customers will only purchase the finest products from local farmers, why would I cut my throat trying to sell them English meat?"

Anyway, sausages are old news now that 'Biden the Bold' has arrived to make everything perfect (like in the USA)
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:02   #1204
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Cheers jonbxx, some good reads there, most of which seems to be concerned with a possible breakdown of the 'peace process' . . and a return to the bad old days I guess, although that, like the Palestine/Israel thing, won't go away.

No mention of sausages anywhere, either because the articles are slightly dated or it's only the English press that reduce a top story to the base ingredient of 'sausages'

I was hoping I'd find . . anywhere . . a quote from a NI butcher, along the lines of "my customers will only purchase the finest products from local farmers, why would I cut my throat trying to sell them English meat?"

Anyway, sausages are old news now that 'Biden the Bold' has arrived to make everything perfect (like in the USA)
what's wrong with a real meat n gut's story
Old 10-06-2021, 10:07   #1205
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
what's wrong with a real meat n gut's story
Nothing I guess, but I think 99% of the English population don't give a skinless one about who's sausages the Irish eat
Old 10-06-2021, 10:23   #1206
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Nothing I guess, but I think 99% of the English population don't give a skinless one about who's sausages the Irish eat
But if the Irish eat the wrong sausage or eat mince n taties the European union will collapse, their whole existence relies on sausage control, that's why they're not mincing words over this issue.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:34   #1207
Carth
cf.mega poster

Maybe we could add a sticker to English sausage skins?

'Danger: Do Not Eat If In EU'

We could have 34 different languages on them, just to be on the safe side, and also a disclaimer for those Countries that are IN and OUT at the same side
Old 10-06-2021, 10:36   #1208
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
But if the Irish eat the wrong sausage or eat mince n taties the European union will collapse, their whole existence relies on sausage control, that's why they're not mincing words over this issue.
The Irish guzzle the same sausage ingredients at we do.
The reason why the "Irish Sausage" is not heralded as the solution should be obvious to everyone.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:41   #1209
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The Irish guzzle the same sausage ingredients at we do.
The reason why the "Irish Sausage" is not heralded as the solution should be obvious to everyone.
Is it because the Irish sausage has the skin on the inside?
Old 10-06-2021, 10:47   #1210
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's very disappointing to see Andrew and Jon explaining things from the enemy's perspective. Johnson signed a bum deal and here we are - in difficulty.

But coming at the results of Johnson's folly from a defensive EU perspective is downright unpatriotic.

The Referendum authorised the Guvmin to leave the EU; the Remainers bemoaned this and now are in total "we told you so" mode.

It is bad that Biden sides with Ireland. He is equally of English and Irish descent (so far as I have ascertained) but he openly declares himself as Irish-American. That immediately places him with the perfidious Varadkar and Coveney. So, Biden is no friend of ours.

Then there's Coveny, the tail wagging the EU dog. I hope this all comes back to bite him when he finds his country's exports screwed because of EU intransigence. There is very little now that can stop the Unionist backlash on both Johnson and Ireland. The Marching Season (a stupidity in itself) will likely bring violence and Biden will not have protected the Belfast Agreement; the violence can't be stopped, imo, and Johnson is going to face the music for this.

But we must not give in to the EU, whose only true aim is to punish the UK for daring to leave its poxy hegemony.

Not sure if serious....

If you are serious then your anger/upset or whatever it is needs to be directed at the UK Government not the EU. The UK Gov signed the deal, I don't recall ever the EU placing a gun to the governments head. Do you?

There is nothing unpatriotic about what others are saying

People are saying 'told you so' because guess what, in some aspects they're correct.

If we had you in charge then the UK would not be friends with any other countries, not a great way to try and make your way in the world.

You didn't get the Brexit you wanted. Oh well, diddums. guess what in a few years time you can vote to kick them out

You voted for Brexit, I'm assuming that you voted for the Tories, The government accepted the deal from the EU.

Play your part in accepting the outcome that you're responsible for and stop bleating.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:05   #1211
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Wiki states he is 5/8th’s Irish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Joe_Biden
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 10-06-2021 at 11:13.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:10   #1212
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

If you want to sort things out, you need an honest assessment of the situation. Pretending we're playing cowboys and indians with an enemy is a tad simplistic.

I would also highlight that it's not pro-anyone to point out that Biden values the Irish vote back home. It's also not pro-anyone that the Democrats see the Good Friday Agreement as one of their strongest diplomatic achievements, to be strongly defended.

And it's not Jon, me or the EU who issued the UK with a démarche, a formal diplomatic reprimand, for inflaming the rhetoric in Northern Ireland. That was the USA.

There seem to be four options:
1) Kick the tin can down the road and agree a postponement
2) As you have suggested, we can go for veterinary equivalence and sign up to EU rules. But as Jon has warned, we then risk being described as a vassal state
3) We don't supply chilled meats, etc to Northern Ireland
4) We break an international treaty and carry on supplying NI with chilled meat products, etc past the deadline of 30th June.

If you're David Frost, which one would you choose? Or is there another option?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:20   #1213
Carth
cf.mega poster

Number 3 . . all the way . . final answer etc etc.

Kills the problem stone dead, frees everyone up to go searching for the next sticking point that this will undoubtedly create
Old 10-06-2021, 11:40   #1214
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Well hello!!!

I have just completed a sales straining course and have been reviewing the notes. Loud and clear throughout is the absolute need to understand the customers needs and expectations and also potential objections. This lets you pitch your sales in the correct way for that specific customer. We are a customer of the EU and the EU is a customer of the UK. Each party has their own needs, expectations and objections and understanding and appreciating them allows you to understand what you can get and what you can't.

If I called my customers the enemy if they said 'no' to me, I wouldn't be in a job very long. 'No' is as an important signal as 'yes' because the next question is 'why' and from there, there is potential for movement or compromise.

I want what is best for the UK. Now the details of what I consider the best and what you consider the best might be different but the overarching sentiment is the same. To be called unpatriotic because my views are different from yours is not fair unless you and you alone are in the position of what is best and can prove that all other positions are not as good as yours.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:19   #1215
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Well hello!!!

I have just completed a sales straining course and have been reviewing the notes. Loud and clear throughout is the absolute need to understand the customers needs and expectations and also potential objections. This lets you pitch your sales in the correct way for that specific customer. We are a customer of the EU and the EU is a customer of the UK. Each party has their own needs, expectations and objections and understanding and appreciating them allows you to understand what you can get and what you can't.

If I called my customers the enemy if they said 'no' to me, I wouldn't be in a job very long. 'No' is as an important signal as 'yes' because the next question is 'why' and from there, there is potential for movement or compromise.

I want what is best for the UK. Now the details of what I consider the best and what you consider the best might be different but the overarching sentiment is the same. To be called unpatriotic because my views are different from yours is not fair unless you and you alone are in the position of what is best and can prove that all other positions are not as good as yours.
Exactly. Explaining the EU's needs (eg to maintain the integrity of Single Market) is not being unpatriotic. It is intelligence that helps you to decide how best to approach negotiations. I dread to imagine how Seph's approach would play out around some of the board rooms I've sat in. Let's just say, I would ensure my mortgage was paid off before I took such an approach!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote