Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 21:13   #616
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb108 View Post
Are those channels going on Disney+ ?

Disney is really becoming disproportionate to being closed off to only SKY, as there's quite a lot of channels gone to their own Demand platform.... it was about time Disney+ came to Virgin their exclusivity should come to an end
The plan is that Disney close all their international channels, with all content being available via Disney+. They’ve also stated they won’t renew other 3rd party deals in order to prioritise Disney+.

Disney are reportedly favourites to purchase BT Sport, which could lead to further linear closures and the launch of ESPN+ in the UK.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2021, 23:37   #617
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
The plan is that Disney close all their international channels, with all content being available via Disney+. They’ve also stated they won’t renew other 3rd party deals in order to prioritise Disney+.

Disney are reportedly favourites to purchase BT Sport, which could lead to further linear closures and the launch of ESPN+ in the UK.
Didnt know Sky had exclusive access to disney? If disney do buy BT Sport I hope they start getting some of the rights back from other channels. Get Serie A back and La Liga. At that point we'd only have to pay two different subscriptions at least!
Old 07-06-2021, 12:19   #618
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Talks have broken down between Disney+ and virgin media.
Not sure what's happened yet but looks like it's down to money VM want a bigger cut than what's offered.
Old 07-06-2021, 17:53   #619
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It’s a shame. I suppose that driving a hard bargain gets a better price for customers, or maybe simply a bigger profit for VM, but in the end, it looks like the ambition to be a ‘super aggregator’ is a bit pie in the sky.

Sooner or later, there will be a better proposition that will benefit customers that will neatly contain everything integrated in one box, including terrestrial and Sky. That will see VM dead in the water.

The opportunity is there I think for Sky to seize. If it does so, they will get my custom, that is for sure. They are almost there, actually.

A great pity, and a wasted opportunity.
Old 07-06-2021, 19:14   #620
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It’s a shame. I suppose that driving a hard bargain gets a better price for customers, or maybe simply a bigger profit for VM, but in the end, it looks like the ambition to be a ‘super aggregator’ is a bit pie in the sky.

Sooner or later, there will be a better proposition that will benefit customers that will neatly contain everything integrated in one box, including terrestrial and Sky. That will see VM dead in the water.

The opportunity is there I think for Sky to seize. If it does so, they will get my custom, that is for sure. They are almost there, actually.

Dont see virgin around in the next ten years or so. At least not with its current offerings my guess cable tv as we know it will be a thing of the past. Good grief even a ludite such as myself use the tv live side less and less
Old 07-06-2021, 19:25   #621
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Are Sky any better at "super aggregating"?

Ultimately all of these content owners want to vertically integrate their way past platforms. It's not for existing successful platforms to prop up fledgeling streamers. Many of whom will go the way of Eleven Sports who you would have had propped up by both Sky and Virgin driving up the costs they have with their own content owners.
Old 07-06-2021, 19:29   #622
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Once FTTP is rolled out more widescale VM are in trouble one would think.
But that is still a long way away.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:22   #623
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Are Sky any better at "super aggregating"?

Ultimately all of these content owners want to vertically integrate their way past platforms. It's not for existing successful platforms to prop up fledgeling streamers. Many of whom will go the way of Eleven Sports who you would have had propped up by both Sky and Virgin driving up the costs they have with their own content owners.
Well, yes, of course they are, but I agree they could do better. Even so, they are leaving Virgin, who initially took the lead, well behind.

You can quote Eleven Sports as much as you like, but their failure in the UK does not come near to proving your point. Any business can fail. Vice TV didn’t do too well over here either, did it?

Existing platforms need to support streamers, which are the key to the future. Those who do not will suffer the fate they deserve.

Technology is a fast moving industry and you either keep up or fall by the wayside.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:24   #624
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Which streaming providers do Sky “aggregate”?

Quote:
Existing platforms need to support streamers
I absolutely disagree with this statement. That’s like paying a subcontractor to eat into your own business.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:25   #625
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Once FTTP is rolled out more widescale VM are in trouble one would think.
But that is still a long way away.
Virgin could succeed in my opinion, but it is looking to me now that it is unlikely, because of their attitude. They just don’t have the passion for it.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:29   #626
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Virgin could succeed in my opinion, but it is looking to me now that it is unlikely, because of their attitude. They just don’t have the passion for it.
Gigabit connectivity to millions of homes. I’d not be sweating for a while yet because someone doesn’t like the fact they don’t fund fledgeling streamers.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:29   #627
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Which streaming providers do Sky “aggregate”?
Netflix, Amazon, Discovery+, Disney+ - hell, jf man, you can do your own research.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020...to-bear-fruit/
Old 07-06-2021, 20:33   #628
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Netflix, Amazon, Discovery+, Disney+ - hell, jf man, you can do your own research.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020...to-bear-fruit/
Which can you buy in one single integrated package?

Having an app on a box isn’t the same thing.

I can indeed do my own research but to be honest I’d prefer you justified your positions first.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:36   #629
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

I absolutely disagree with this statement. That’s like paying a subcontractor to eat into your own business.
The fact is old chum, that the streamers are taking content away from Sky. If Sky cannot offer their subscribers the content they want on their platform, their customers’ eyes will wander elsewhere.

Surely even you will be aware of the potential damage Disney could have done to Sky by taking away their programming.

Your one dimensional view of things really does throw up some strange arguments, jfman! Sky cannot afford to disregard the future of TV as you do.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Quote:
Which can you buy in one single integrated package?

Having an app on a box isn’t the same thing.

I can indeed do my own research but to be honest I’d prefer you justified your positions first.
It’s not just about money. It’s about getting all your searchable content in one box. That’s what most savvy customers want.
Old 07-06-2021, 20:44   #630
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
The fact is old chum, that the streamers are taking content away from Sky. If Sky cannot offer their subscribers the content they want on their platform, their customers’ eyes will wander elsewhere.
A foolish conclusion.

The average person - in particular due to the massive economic impact of COVID-19 - does not have unlimited income. Does not have unlimited discretionary expenditure.

Quote:
Surely even you will be aware of the potential damage Disney could have done to Sky by taking away their programming.
Potential.

Equally it could damage Disney in the long run.

Quote:
Your one dimensional view of things really does throw up some strange arguments, jfman! Sky cannot afford to disregard the future of TV as you do.
Yawn, they literally operate a streamer.

Quote:
It’s not just about money. It’s about getting all your searchable content in one box. That’s what most savvy customers want.
Not at unlimited cost I’m sure. Neither do streamers want their content presented below another provider because they ponied up more.

It’s literally all about money. Your wet dream of them all striking wholesale agreements with some streaming box provider is just that. Fantasy.
Closed Thread