Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 06-05-2021, 20:22   #211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You are wrong. Most streamed content drops all at once, as a series. A limited number of high-profile, big budget series drop one episode per week.

These are the same sorts of shows that would ‘drop’ weekly in a prime evening slot on broadcast TV. That they reserve some of their premium content for weekly release undermines your argument that streaming, and giving viewers limitless choice and absolute control at all times, is inherently better. In terms of justifying investment in the most expensive programmes, there is a clear need to get a critical mass of simultaneous, or near-simultaneous, viewing, so that word of mouth works to maximum effect to increase ratings.

This is something broadcast TV achieves simply by its nature. It is something a streaming service tries to approximate by undermining the very thing you have always claimed is its principal benefit.
Well, what if it is streamed weekly on a limited basis? The point I was making was that it is possible to do, if this was seen as the best way.

Incidentally, you may have noticed that the linear TV channels have been airing some things back to back in recent times. Obviously imitating an advantage that streaming has, except that you cannot watch at a time of your choosing unless you record the whole lot.

Streaming is far more flexible - you can binge watch or watch weekly and when you want. It requires a contortionist to try to advance an argument that linear TV is better than this.

However, I can see that some of you on this forum will resist the changes that are to come until they actually come. So enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 06-05-2021, 20:37   #212
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

No one is arguing that "linear TV is better than this" - you appear to be putting words in people’s mouths…

What people are saying is that both ways have their strengths and attractions, which is why we believe that in the future (beyond 2035) both will still be in use.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 21:05   #213
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I’m resisting the future by subscribing to three streaming services.

Once again OB is conflating personal preferences with observations on the market as a whole.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 21:49   #214
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Resistance is futile - you will be astreamallated…

(MeThree - Disney+, Amazon Prime, and Netflix)

I have a car, but I also walk to our local shops/restaurants, and cycle occasionally - why am I not just using the car?
Old 06-05-2021, 23:05   #215
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

However, I can see that some of you on this forum will resist the changes that are to come until they actually come. So enjoy it while it lasts.
There must be bigger things in your life to get stressed about on whether the future of tv is streaming/linear?

I'd worry more about Wokingham Town Fc . Are you a 442 stalwart or pack the midfield 3, 5, 2? It's a dilemma ...
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 13:19   #216
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Airing new episodes weekly already happens for some programmes on Netflix, Amazon and Disney + for example. The programme simply appears on the designated day. You don't need a traditional linear channel to do that.
But that's linear isn't it? Tuesday at 7:30pm would still be 'Eastenders time'. I think you maybe should share with us your definitions of what is a linear channel and what is a streamer so those of us who dip in and out for the latest episode of the Old Boy & Jfman soap have some terms of reference. Thinking about it, you two arguing with predictable regularity could almost be described as a linear media offering .
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 13:23   #217
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
But that's linear isn't it? Tuesday at 7:30pm would still be 'Eastenders time'. I think you maybe should share with us your definitions of what is a linear channel and what is a streamer so those of us who dip in and out for the latest episode of the Old Boy & Jfman soap have some terms of reference. Thinking about it, you two arguing with predictable regularity could almost be described as a linear media offering .
We don't do definitions in this thread, Grim.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 13:34   #218
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Here you go - from the previous "Re:Linear is old tech - on demand is the future" thread (01-12-2020 19:31)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615

Quote:
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
Old 07-05-2021, 14:24   #219
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
We don't do definitions in this thread, Grim.
Will me, just think if got clear definitions it would save all that head scratching (see my reply to Hugh below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Here you go - from the previous "Re:Linear is old tech - on demand is the future" thread (01-12-2020 19:31)

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=1615
Oh. If that makes EastEnders live TV, what does it make the sporting events like the FA cup or Olympics, or do we risk just covering well trodden ground again?
Old 07-05-2021, 20:33   #220
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Who says it has to start at 7.30? It could be uploaded at midnight. Whatever time it’s uploaded doesn’t make it linear. Once uploaded, it is not only there for the duration of the programme. It remains on thereto be accessed on demand.

I don’t care what you choose to call it, to be honest. It’s not me getting hung up on the technical terms.
Old 07-05-2021, 21:34   #221
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t care what you choose to call it, to be honest. It’s not me getting hung up on the technical terms.
Why change the habit of a lifetime.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 00:52   #222
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Who says it has to start at 7.30? It could be uploaded at midnight. Whatever time it’s uploaded doesn’t make it linear. Once uploaded, it is not only there for the duration of the programme. It remains on thereto be accessed on demand.

It doesn't have to start at 7:30 but if they just uploaded new episodes at random times they'd soon start getting complaints which would result in them setting an upload time. And why shouldn't it be 7:30, after all I'm pretty sure the BBC have a good idea of what works for a particular show and what doesn't.

I'm still confused when something is linear (scheduled) and when something isn't.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:44   #223
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It doesn't have to start at 7:30 but if they just uploaded new episodes at random times they'd soon start getting complaints which would result in them setting an upload time. And why shouldn't it be 7:30, after all I'm pretty sure the BBC have a good idea of what works for a particular show and what doesn't.

I'm still confused when something is linear (scheduled) and when something isn't.
It could be uploaded at 7.30, midnight or any time they chose. I agree that whatever time they picked, it would need to be consistent.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:52   #224
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Paul quoted Google about this last month

Quote:
Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program at the time it's broadcast and on its original channel. It also can be recorded via DVR and watched later.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:04   #225
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It could be uploaded at 7.30, midnight or any time they chose. I agree that whatever time they picked, it would need to be consistent.
So released to a schedule, aka linear??