Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

Old 03-05-2021, 10:47   #121
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

I'm sure many NHS staff will be even happier with their 1% pay rise when they hear just how hard up the country really is.

Not saying we shouldn't have a new Royal Yacht but maybe there are other things which are a bit more of a priority at the moment.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2021, 11:10   #122
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I'm sure many NHS staff will be even happier with their 1% pay rise when they hear just how hard up the country really is.

Not saying we shouldn't have a new Royal Yacht but maybe there are other things which are a bit more of a priority at the moment.
I am saying we should not have a Royal Yacht 2000 100K houses could be built to house 2000 or more homeless people or vulnerable young or families or a big boat we do not need? no competition
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:12   #123
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

It'll take a few years to build and the queen may longer be with us by the time it [sets sail].

the price will go up it's not going to be on budget.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:17   #124
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I’m not so sure it’s a great idea. Not at this time when many people have lost so much.

It will take an unbelievable amount of spin and PR to make it palatable.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:47   #125
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m not so sure it’s a great idea. Not at this time when many people have lost so much.

It will take an unbelievable amount of spin and PR to make it palatable.
Problem is I think the misplaced national pride and love for an archaic ideal of a monarchy will have most people saying " oh he would have liked that"
Old 03-05-2021, 11:51   #126
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The point of a Royal Yacht is not for the queen to go to Ibiza for the week.

It is used for state visits, and promote Great Britian.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:53   #127
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post

But this is why government is run by politicians, not activists or pressure groups. The question of whether to build a royal yacht isn't answered by placing it in binary opposition to the NHS, or anything else.

NHS wages aren't the only thing government has to spend money on. NHS wages (whisper it) may not even be the most important line in the budget. Don't confuse the popular mood with the balanced view of national priorities that is a government's duty.

That's not to say that a new royal yacht is the most important thing of all, or even that it's simply more important than NHS wages. But there are a whole lot of *less* important things that government spends money on, because it's a government, not a pressure group, and it has to fund lots of different things for lots of different reasons.

There are arguments that can be made for a royal yacht, in terms of foreign policy, whether that be diplomacy or promotion of British trade and industry. The royal patronage is what gives the yacht its allure. Obviously the days of arguing that the royal family needs a yacht to holiday on are long gone.

There's also an argument from British industrial skills development and maintenance, if BoJo is serious about ensuring it's built in a British yard. British shipyards rarely build any non-military vessels of any size any more, which is a tragedy given our heritage and the fact that it is obviously commercially possible to do so - there are plenty of successful commercial yards in Europe. The industry hasn't entirely gone to the far east.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:11   #128
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

We got stuff that already does that
Old 03-05-2021, 12:12   #129
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I guess it's a toss-up between the yacht being built in a red wall area of England or in Scotland to try and keep the UK intact.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:14   #130
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
But this is why government is run by politicians, not activists or pressure groups. The question of whether to build a royal yacht isn't answered by placing it in binary opposition to the NHS, or anything else.

NHS wages aren't the only thing government has to spend money on. NHS wages (whisper it) may not even be the most important line in the budget. Don't confuse the popular mood with the balanced view of national priorities that is a government's duty.

That's not to say that a new royal yacht is the most important thing of all, or even that it's simply more important than NHS wages. But there are a whole lot of *less* important things that government spends money on, because it's a government, not a pressure group, and it has to fund lots of different things for lots of different reasons.

There are arguments that can be made for a royal yacht, in terms of foreign policy, whether that be diplomacy or promotion of British trade and industry. The royal patronage is what gives the yacht its allure. Obviously the days of arguing that the royal family needs a yacht to holiday on are long gone.

There's also an argument from British industrial skills development and maintenance, if BoJo is serious about ensuring it's built in a British yard. British shipyards rarely build any non-military vessels of any size any more, which is a tragedy given our heritage and the fact that it is obviously commercially possible to do so - there are plenty of successful commercial yards in Europe. The industry hasn't entirely gone to the far east.
And here was me thinking MPs were voted in to represent their constituents meaning if the people think NHS wages should be high on the agenda then NHS wages should be high on the agenda
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30   #131
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
And here was me thinking MPs were voted in to represent their constituents meaning if the people think NHS wages should be high on the agenda then NHS wages should be high on the agenda
Once you vote them in they don't care about your opinion until the next election is due.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:38   #132
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You’re mistaken, on two points. First, we have representative democracy, not direct democracy. An MPs job is to use their best judgment in service of their constituents, not simply to do as instructed on any given issue. Second, I’m unaware of claiming NHS wages shouldn’t be high on the agenda - simply that NHS wages and a royal yacht aren’t a binary choice.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52   #133
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

You and I know that, but for many it will be seen as an unnecessary expense.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:58   #134
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You’re mistaken, on two points. First, we have representative democracy, not direct democracy. An MPs job is to use their best judgment in service of their constituents, not simply to do as instructed on any given issue. Second, I’m unaware of claiming NHS wages shouldn’t be high on the agenda - simply that NHS wages and a royal yacht aren’t a binary choice.

where did I say you said anything??
Old 03-05-2021, 12:59   #135
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
We got stuff that already does that
Sometimes that stuff needs replacing/upgraded.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote