Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 18:03   #346
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Have been using for a while. Excellent improvement
Glad to hear the iPlayer changes are worthwhile.
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2021, 21:08   #347
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

​I've got the latest update of the TV version of iPlayer on my V6. So it's rolling out to those not opting into the Beta now.
Old 10-04-2021, 00:24   #348
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I know that BBC4 has been suspended, but has VM also suspended Sky Comedy & Sky Documentaries? They are both blocked on my box
Old 10-04-2021, 00:37   #349
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I know that BBC4 has been suspended, but has VM also suspended Sky Comedy & Sky Documentaries? They are both blocked on my box
Both Sky channels working on our Sky Q box. Sure you've paid your bill this month?
Old 10-04-2021, 02:56   #350
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Both channels working fine on SKYQ here.
Not seen anything mentioned on twitter either.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:07   #351
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What happens when you try to tune to them? Are HD and SD versions both affected (assuming you subscribe to both)?
Old 10-04-2021, 13:43   #352
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
What happens when you try to tune to them? Are HD and SD versions both affected (assuming you subscribe to both)?
It said 'Not authorised' in the same way that RTE Radio did three years ago when there was a software fault.

It seems to have righted itself upon checking this morning, I had wondered if VM had blocked Sky Comedy as they felt it innappropriate to show this during a period of national mourning, but then found that Sky Documentaries was blocked too!
Old 10-04-2021, 13:57   #353
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It said 'Not authorised' in the same way that RTE Radio did three years ago when there was a software fault.

It seems to have righted itself upon checking this morning, I had wondered if VM had blocked Sky Comedy as they felt it innappropriate to show this during a period of national mourning, but then found that Sky Documentaries was blocked too!
It would be up to the channels themselves what they show or don't show, not the platforms they're on.
Old 10-04-2021, 14:06   #354
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It would be up to the channels themselves what they show or don't show, not the platforms they're on.
Yeah but I thought that VM might have taken it upon itself to not show material on it's platform that may cause laughter in the current circumstances, even though Sky had decided not to pull the channel.

It would be interesting to know if a carriage agreement means that those who pay for channels have to show them once they've paid for them??
Old 10-04-2021, 14:16   #355
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think you are overthinking the matter to a laughable extent.
Old 10-04-2021, 14:17   #356
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Yeah but I thought that VM might have taken it upon itself to not show material on it's platform that may cause laughter in the current circumstances, even though Sky had decided not to pull the channel.

It would be interesting to know if a carriage agreement means that those who pay for channels have to show them once they've paid for them??
That would be an enormous breach of contract, so extremely unlikely...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 10-04-2021, 14:54   #357
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Under agreements carriers are not allowed to block channels without exceptional reaso..
Old 10-04-2021, 17:52   #358
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks. It would obviously be pointless, but I wasn't sure if a platform could buy the right to broadcast a channel & not do so when I was trying to work out why Sky Comedy was blocked.

It makes sense that it would be in the contract that they have to show a channel that they've bought the rights for as this would help the channel owner to increase ad revenue.

I've only ever known this happen on Freeview where one of the 'text n tits' type channels finished broadcasting for the night. An error meant that a frozen picture of a woman's breasts carried on being broadcast, prompting complaints from people when children started channel surfing later on that morning.

The channel couldn't be contacted to remedy the situation, so in the end Arqiva had to be contacted to cut the feed.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-04-2021 at 17:57.
Old 10-04-2021, 21:17   #359
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Yes, but I expect the channel was breaching its contract in allowing that picture to be displayed outside its broadcasting hours.
Old 10-04-2021, 22:30   #360
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, but I expect the channel was breaching its contract in allowing that picture to be displayed outside its broadcasting hours.
I agree, I don’t see how Richard can see the two situations as comparable.

If someone in the supply chain is aware that a channel is broadcasting 18 or 15 rated content out of hours (inadvertently or otherwise) then I’d expect them to take reasonable steps to pull the plug. I’m sure OFCOM would take the same view.

The extent to which these processes are automated would be a reasonable defence for operators.
Closed Thread