Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 25-03-2021, 14:31   #10336
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Amazon in line for share of 6 Nations rugby contract.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...eid=3598503789

Quote:
Television rights for some of rugby union’s Six Nations Championship matches are expected to move to pay-TV for the first time since 2001.

It’s anticipated that from next year the competition will be split between Amazon and terrestrial broadcasters BBC and ITV who currently transmit the annual competition free-to-air.
Old 25-03-2021, 16:02   #10337
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Amazon in line for share of 6 Nations rugby contract.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...eid=3598503789

Another nail in the coffin - will have to add Prime subscription to all the others.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 16:07   #10338
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

The reporting appears to have shifted on that...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ghts-kq0jschxc

Amazon and the terrestrial broadcasters are expected to split the rights for autumn internationals and the Six Nations, according to industry sources.

Although Amazon had been expected to bid for a share of the Six Nations — which would have meant some of the tournament’s games being shown on a pay-TV service for the first time — it is understood the platform’s priority is to focus on the autumn matches.

The sale of the rights for both the Six Nations and the autumn internationals is being done together to maximise revenues. Amazon is understood to be prepared to leave the way clear for the Six Nations to go to terrestrial broadcasters.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 19:00   #10339
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
The reporting appears to have shifted on that...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...ghts-kq0jschxc

Amazon and the terrestrial broadcasters are expected to split the rights for autumn internationals and the Six Nations, according to industry sources.

Although Amazon had been expected to bid for a share of the Six Nations — which would have meant some of the tournament’s games being shown on a pay-TV service for the first time — it is understood the platform’s priority is to focus on the autumn matches.

The sale of the rights for both the Six Nations and the autumn internationals is being done together to maximise revenues. Amazon is understood to be prepared to leave the way clear for the Six Nations to go to terrestrial broadcasters.
I guess Amazon want new customers in Autumn in time to purchase their Christmas shopping.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 20:13   #10340
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I guess Amazon want new customers in Autumn in time to purchase their Christmas shopping.
Exactly this, something often forgotten.

Sky & BT's business is sports broadcasting, and want to drive subscriptions to their sports channels.

Amazon's business is encouraging online sales, so are interested in driving subscriptions to their video platform at particular times of the year.

These 3 bidders will all have different motivations for wanting different parts of the 6-Nations/autumn series rights.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 00:06   #10341
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Exactly this, something often forgotten.

Sky & BT's business is sports broadcasting, and want to drive subscriptions to their sports channels.

Amazon's business is encouraging online sales, so are interested in driving subscriptions to their video platform at particular times of the year.

These 3 bidders will all have different motivations for wanting different parts of the 6-Nations/autumn series rights.
The article was amended/qualified to say that Amazon were only really interested in the Autumn internationals for the reason JAPitts suggested.

Their problem is the rights for the 6 Nations and Autumn Internationals are being lumped together in an attempt to drive the price up.

So Amazon have a dilemma - unless they bid hen resell what they don't want (assuming this would be allowed).
Old 07-04-2021, 10:12   #10342
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

A couple of media reporting that the BBC/ITV joint bid for the 6N is now around the £100m mark, and the per-game cost is not far off what Sky pay for PL football.

Putting roughly similiar figures to the autumn internationals makes for some interesting numbers, I'm guessing that at least one out of Sky/BT is making a serious play for those, I'd guess the 2023 RWC warm-ups are also being bundled there.
Old 09-04-2021, 18:39   #10343
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
A couple of media reporting that the BBC/ITV joint bid for the 6N is now around the £100m mark, and the per-game cost is not far off what Sky pay for PL football.

Putting roughly similiar figures to the autumn internationals makes for some interesting numbers, I'm guessing that at least one out of Sky/BT is making a serious play for those, I'd guess the 2023 RWC warm-ups are also being bundled there.
I was under the impression that the 6 Nations and Autumn Internationals were being sold as 1 package.

It seems Amazon are not very interested in 6 Nations but are in the Autumn Internationals as this is in the lead up to Black Friday.

I haven't seen anything to suggest BBC and ITV are looking to pay £100m - in fact I haven't seen anything from them at all (maybe I read the wrong paper and missed it on the Net?)

What I have seen is BBC being lambasted for only putting one of England Women's rugby matches on BBC main channels, whilst hiding the other 2 on their red button.
Old 09-04-2021, 19:17   #10344
japitts
cf.geek

Ahh... from my understanding, yes and no.

The autumn internationals have always had individual TV deals for each union - so RFU, WRU, SRU etc have managed their own broadcast arrangements.

As of now, that's been centralised and the Six Nations "committee" are now arranging a TV deal for the November-internationals covering all the 6 Nations.. however, I don't think it's been said anywhere that this will necessarily be the same contract as covering the 6N tournament itself.

Whilst we're clearly in the realms of rumours and leaks, TRP seem as reliable a source as any - https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/st...32617573949456

If I had to place bets, I'd say Amazon & Sky both want the autumn series, while the 6N is a FTA vs Sky battle. It's probably only Amazon who are willing to have a FTA/pay model for the 6N, everyone else will want exclusivity.
Old 20-04-2021, 19:38   #10345
Raider999
cf.mega poster

With DAZN highly involved in the proposed European Super League I would think it highly unlikely they would be bidding for the next Premier League rights.

So one streamer less.
Old 20-04-2021, 20:24   #10346
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think it's close to collapsing now that Chelsea have pulled out, I've also heard that Man City are pulling out too.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 21:05   #10347
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think it's close to collapsing now that Chelsea have pulled out, I've also heard that Man City are pulling out too.
Agree it looks very close to collapsing now.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 21:08   #10348
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Heard Chelsea were planning to pull out, not heard anything about Man City though - although Pep has said he is against it.

The whole thing is based on the American style of sport where you have nothing to lose - expect news of drafts for players next.

You can see why Real Madrid/Barcelona are interested as although they get a big %age of La Liga rights the whole is nothing near the Premier League values.
Old 20-04-2021, 21:14   #10349
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 21:24   #10350
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Looks like the debacle may have claimed one head. Ed Woodward has resigned as Vice Chairman of Manchester United. Did he agree with the Super League idea?

https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12281731

Last edited by 1andrew1; 20-04-2021 at 21:38.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote