Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How long have you had cable BB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

How long have you had cable BB

Old 05-02-2021, 20:53   #1
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
How long have you had cable BB

A comment in the retentions topic got me wondering how long people have had cable.

For me, its just under 22 years, I had a cable modem, and two phone lines installed in mid June 1999, when it was still Diamond Cable around here (my phone sockets are still the originals, with the diamond logo on them). NTL took over DC not long after.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2021, 21:09   #2
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How long have you had cable BB

had it since 1995 when Yorkshire cable first laid in Barnsley at my mums , although we did leave for a while when VM lost the sky channels as my mum was a big watcher of sky one back then, So switched to sky for TV/BB as it didn't work out good cost wise to keep the VM broadband at the time with sky tv and the speeds weren't really that much different anyway at the time, soon as the sky channels come back we moved back and ive always had it since moving away so bar that odd year or so about 26 years

EDIT missed the BB bit We had TV/Phone from 1995 then BB soon as it was rolled out after TW took over

Last edited by ash45; 05-02-2021 at 21:18.
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 21:22   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Mid 90's 1994 or 1995. Think it was either Bell cablemedia or Jones cable, can't remember which one came first. I can't remember how much it was but we had a salesman visit to seal the deal, little did he know we would have snatched his hand off at the time whatever it cost.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 21:39   #4
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't remember the date but I signed on with NTLWORLD the second day they switched on in Swansea. Telephone days and Sun News. lol. Quite a few years ago now and could of been late 1990s not sure.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 21:48   #5
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Joined telewest in 1999 until middle of 2020 now on BT FTTP
Old 05-02-2021, 22:18   #6
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Had unlimited dial up on NTLWORLD and then won a competition on the original NTHellworld to get 6 months free BB - must have been back in 2002/2003! I was in school then and finally got broadband lol

Last edited by david_w2k; 05-02-2021 at 22:22.
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 22:27   #7
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

CableTel Glasgow (ex Clyde CableVision) 1995 with ISDN dial up, then broadband 512k in 1999 with the £150 purchase of a 3Com CMX cable modem. Still have it in a drawer.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 22:54   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

nearly 20 years. 512kbps was the bomb back then

Had TV first with Comtel bought soon after by NTL .Had dial up with ukonline then AOL until the cable modems were available . I remember the weekly calls "is it here yet"
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:02   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I joined NTL in around 2001 and was a customer for ... 3 years. Gave it up when we moved house and went off-net, although we did have Virgin dial up and then ADSL at our new address, until they closed the service.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:03   #10
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

It was so SloooooooooW back then and paid via the Phone.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:12   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Originally a Videotron user at my parent's home near Southampton around 1995 when I persuade them to get cable TV with the 'free phoneline' and we joined an ISP that offered zero rated calls for a monthly subscription fee for cable phone customers. That was like winning the lottery when you managed to dial in to a spare modem line!

Didn't get cable broadband for myself till several city moves later in 2010 when my current address in Manchester got a connected through a small fill in dig.
Old 05-02-2021, 23:27   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Before Diamond cabled our area (we were one of the last they did) I was actually on virgin.net dialup for about 3 years - so ended up going full circle.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:31   #13
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Sometime in the 1990's, using C&W analogue messaging via the STB.
Customer service supplied from Leeds (Seacroft) even pay to contact them.
512Kb service over the phone line using inbuilt computer modem for the kids.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:39   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I've never lived anywhere that had cable
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:42   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I got a Cambridge Cable 600Kb connection around 2000 which then got bought by NTL which got rebranded into Virginmedia.

I have no other high-speed options in my village.