Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sir Keir’s Kerfuffle

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Sir Keir’s Kerfuffle

Old 20-01-2021, 09:04   #481
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sir Keir Starmer elected as new Labour leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
....And our stats include deaths in care homes and in the community. The inclusiveness of our figures compared with others is bound to result in a higher number.

Anyway, back on topic, Sir Kier has been more in favour of locking everyone down and being much more generous to everyone with payouts, which would certainly please some but I'm sure would frustrate many others, and make the state of the economy ten times worse.

In the good times, Labour squander the money and in bad times they squander the money we don't have.

Some people, bless them, find that an attractive proposition.

Usually those who don't/won't work for a living.
Old 20-01-2021, 09:15   #482
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
....And our stats include deaths in care homes and in the community. The inclusiveness of our figures compared with others is bound to result in a higher number.

Anyway, back on topic, Sir Kier has been more in favour of locking everyone down and being much more generous to everyone with payouts, which would certainly please some but I'm sure would frustrate many others, and make the state of the economy ten times worse.

In the good times, Labour squander the money and in bad times they squander the money we don't have.

Some people, bless them, find that an attractive proposition.
Can you actually provide an example of a country that's massaging their stats or as always is it mere conjecture on your part in your perpetual denial that the Conservative Party can possibly do anything wrong?

Can you actually quantify your claims that "more generous" payouts would make the economy worse? Fundamentally payments are there to support what was a functioning economy prior to the pandemic as a stop gap.

The alternative you propose is to throw people and businesses on the scrapheap. I wonder where those people end up? Universal Credit. Who pays? Government.

I'd be grateful if you could provide any coherent economic analysis that supports your claim. Even the great bastion of capitalism - the USA - is throwing $2trn at Covid relief. So there has to be an evidence base for it, unlike your simplistic Tories good / Labour bad union flag waving opinion pieces
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 15:14   #483
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'd be grateful if you could provide any coherent economic analysis that supports your claim. Even the great bastion of capitalism - the USA - is throwing $2trn at Covid relief. So there has to be an evidence base for it, unlike your simplistic Tories good / Labour bad union flag waving opinion pieces
Doubtful he will.

It's important to note that I don't think there are any right answers here. If you lock down and contact trace, you run the risk of company failures and economic problems, and also have to massively invade people's privacy.

If you don't lock down, you run the risk of people dying (which may also create economic problems, if enough people die).

The countries that appear to have dealt with this the best are those that locked down early, and had efficient testing and tracing procedures. If you lock down early, you may still get business failures, but they will be minimised.

The efficient test and trace requires that people give up some privacy. South Korea's test and trace system relies on the government getting access to the population's financial records (they get a list of where anyone who has had a positive COVID test has used any credit or debit cards they have), people's phone location data. I can't see our government ever doing this, because while I don't know how much the South Koreans trust their government, our government has already shown it has links to people who would mine that kind of data for profit, so people don't trust them.

By locking down late, the lockdown is going to last longer and be more widespread, so will affect many more businesses for longer. Those businesses will also usually pay taxes, so there is a reduced income for the government. Locking down late also means there are many thousands more people to treat. While most people are not affected much by COVID, an increased number of COVID sufferers means increased treatment costs, and an increase in benefits.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 20:28   #484
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Can you actually provide an example of a country that's massaging their stats or as always is it mere conjecture on your part in your perpetual denial that the Conservative Party can possibly do anything wrong?
The stats come from PHE, they have nothing to do with the Conservative Party (or any party).
Strange how you are happy to take digs at them by complaining that others are not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 20:41   #485
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The stats come from PHE, they have nothing to do with the Conservative Party (or any party).
Strange how you are happy to take digs at them by complaining that others are not.
Stats get defined by Government and I've accepted the challenges and imperfections in any method - hence the difference between the PHE and ONS methodology.

That said - my only point here - was for Old Boy to inform us what other countries are obviously massaging theirs as he claims.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to point out where other posters are simply sycophantically following a party line. Especially when they pull out claims about other parties, or other countries, that are completely unfounded as OB frequently does.

If you want to rename the thread "Straw man hypothetical Starmer policies for Tories to bat down" then I'll take the hint.
Old 20-01-2021, 23:36   #486
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Im more likely to rename "jfmans argumentative topic because he thinks hes always right and everyone else is always wrong."

In fact, I could then merge about 6 other topics into it.

Old 20-01-2021, 23:41   #487
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Im more likely to rename "jfmans argumentative topic because he thinks hes always right and everyone else is always wrong."

Touché.

At least leave the Coronavirus one intact I quite enjoy battering right wing idiocy around there. The rest I'm indifferent to. Starmer is rubbish - he's just not rubbish for the imaginary reasons that Old Boy pulls out of thin air in here.
Old 20-01-2021, 23:54   #488
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I disagree. Jfman does not always think I’m wrong and indeed vice-versa.

But yes, he is argumentative as are those he riles.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 00:13   #489
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I disagree.
Everything is as expected then.

Old 21-01-2021, 08:43   #490
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Everything is as expected then.

Touché.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:53   #491
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

No point coming onto a forum to be agreed with all the time or to agree with others all the time. It would be boring. You won't develop your own arguments or understand their flaws.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 10:17   #492
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
No point coming onto a forum to be agreed with all the time or to agree with others all the time. It would be boring. You won't develop your own arguments or understand their flaws.
Indeed. That’s what Twitter is for.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:38   #493
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
SIR Keir Starmer is going backwards in the polls and even losing ground with working-class voters.

A new survey shows Labour’s desperate attempts to make capital out of the PM’s cash-for-curtains row is cutting no ice with the public.

It gives the Tories an 11 per cent lead in the polls, with just six days until local elections.

The Conservatives are on 44 points, with Labour lagging on just 33, down a point in a week.

The YouGov poll also shows the Tories have a 19-point lead — 48 to Labour’s 29 — among working-class people, known as C2DE voters.
Looks like "Wallpapergate" doesn't gain any traction with voters concerned with more important matters like Covid and jobs.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:39   #494
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

A shame, because while people are focusing on how much was spent, the focus should really be on how the it was funded - that's the real issue, and that is what is being obfuscated.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:46   #495
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Looks like "Wallpapergate" doesn't gain any traction with voters concerned with more important matters like Covid and jobs.
The issue is corruption not wallpaper. A successful country needs to be free of corruption in order to prosper and to create jobs.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote