Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 20-01-2021, 04:50   #2956
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That prompted me to ask the following, which he ignored.

Now I appreciate that was in the Starmer thread, but I thought I’d ask in the rightful place that is the Coronavirus thread.
I will also note the following from that same topic.

The UK provides two stats ;

1. Deaths within 28 days of positive test.

2. Deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

The second one could possibly be considered as more accurate of virus related deaths.

(Both are pretty similar, the 2nd count being a little lower overall).

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2021, 11:25   #2957
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
Politicians got plastered at a secret party in the Welsh Parliament in breach of Covid rules.

They sank numerous bottles of wine and whisky in a seven-hour drinking marathon which was broken up by security staff.

A handful of legless politicians were asked to leave and stumbled out at 2am, a source said.

They were said to have been caught red-handed, helping themselves to booze from an open bar.

It was just days after the Welsh government ordered all pubs and restaurants to stop serving alcohol and close by 6pm. An investigation has been launched.

An assembly insider said: “They were absolutely legless, being very loud and raucous. They didn’t give a hoot about social distancing.”
Only the plebs have to obey the rules.
Old 20-01-2021, 15:25   #2958
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine likely to protect against highly infectious UK variant

A new study found that antibodies in patients vaccinated against COVID-19 were able to neutralize a version of the new variant. Researchers tested 10 mutations of the highly contagious UK coronavirus, B117........ snip........

Unlike for influenza vaccines, the reduction in neutralization that might indicate the need for a strain change has not been established for COVID-19 vaccines," the study said. "It is possible that vaccine efficacy could be preserved, even with substantial losses of neutralization by vaccine-elicited sera.
https://www.dw.com/en/biontech-pfize...ant/a-56284614
Old 20-01-2021, 16:49   #2959
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Just saw the original paper (linky) The results look good, really good. I am however waiting for the antivax and conspiracy theorists to have a pile on as the authors work for Pfizer and BioNTech
Old 20-01-2021, 17:06   #2960
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Just saw the original paper (linky) The results look good, really good. I am however waiting for the antivax and conspiracy theorists to have a pile on as the authors work for Pfizer and BioNTech
As the authors are the only ones in the position to do the required tests I would have been suspicious if the findings were being reported by a 3rd party.

As to your last point..... There have always been people that see their glass not only half full but also chipped and falling on to a diry floor.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:02   #2961
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
As the authors are the only ones in the position to do the required tests I would have been suspicious if the findings were being reported by a 3rd party.

As to your last point..... There have always been people that see their glass not only half full but also chipped and falling on to a dirty floor.
Oh, I agree completely, if anyone knows how to test serum from vaccinated people, it will be those guys I'm just getting ready for the inevitable 'well they would say that wouldn't they' comments
Old 20-01-2021, 18:06   #2962
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Oh, I agree completely, if anyone knows how to test serum from vaccinated people, it will be those guys I'm just getting ready for the inevitable 'well they would say that wouldn't they' comments
Well, they would. Money to be made here.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:24   #2963
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well, they would. Money to be made here.
... and I award you a Prize for being the first to doubt that the Pfizer/ 1BioNTech, vaccine will not work on the B.1.1.7 variant. Maybe you could give us a link to also discredit the University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg, University who also helped to produce the paper that jonbxx linked to.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:31   #2964
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
... and I award you a Prize for being the first to doubt that the Pfizer/ 1BioNTech, vaccine will not work on the B.1.1.7 variant. Maybe you could give us a link to also discredit the University Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg, University who also helped to produce the paper that jonbxx linked to.
I didn't say I doubted it. I merely pointed out that - as capitalist entities - there's financial interest in putting out the good news stories and suppressing any bad ones.

The more openness and transparency in the data is certainly something to be welcomed. As is independent real world analysis in an actual population - and not a selected population or lab experiments - as the vaccine rolls out.

None of the above is particularly contentious. I fail to see what interest you have in pretending it is.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:44   #2965
joglynne
Born again teenager.

.......and I fail to see how you would consider that they are only saying that it will probably work on the new UK varient just because it will generate more money. Seems as though you just wanted to cast doubt on the validity of the findings to cause doubt at it being true.

Anyhow I will continue to hope that they are correct and not assume that they are only publishing what may well be good news just because of the financial implications.
Old 20-01-2021, 18:52   #2966
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
.......and I fail to see how you would consider that they are only saying that it will probably work on the new UK varient just because it will generate more money. Seems as though you just wanted to cast doubt on the validity of the findings to cause doubt at it being true.

Anyhow I will continue to hope that they are correct and not assume that they are only publishing what may well be good news just because of the financial implications.
Where did I say they are "only" saying it to make more money?

I'm simply pointing out that rational actors in the economy, be it big pharmaceutical companies - or even Universities as let's not forget education is a market driven economy - have a profit driven motive.

It "seems" to you that I have a motive that I do not.

I also "hope" they are correct and it translates to real world protection.
Old 20-01-2021, 23:17   #2967
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Saga Cruises will require proof of full vaccination before letting any holidaymakers on board when they re-start in May. They’ll be the first of many such organisations to do this I think. By the end of this year, I believe the anti-vaxxers and other fellow travelling, tinfoil-hat wearing nutters are going to start finding there are fewer and fewer places they’re welcome.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918
Old 20-01-2021, 23:23   #2968
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

How would saying the current vaccine still works generate more money, when new variant needing new vaccine = another vaccine = more money?

Last edited by nomadking; 20-01-2021 at 23:28.
Old 20-01-2021, 23:24   #2969
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Saga Cruises will require proof of full vaccination before letting any holidaymakers on board when they re-start in May. They’ll be the first of many such organisations to do this I think. By the end of this year, I believe the anti-vaxxers and other fellow travelling, tinfoil-hat wearing nutters are going to start finding there are fewer and fewer places they’re welcome.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918
Yup, if you don't have the jab you don't get on the jet....
Old 20-01-2021, 23:34   #2970
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How would it generate more money, when new variant needing new vaccine = another vaccine = more money?
You're assuming the only way to make money is a straight sales Vs costs of production. As stock markets are shall we say, speculative, there's the possibility for some who make the right decisions (wink wink) at the right time (obviously by chance) to make money on both hyped up sales of an inferior product short term and a quality product longer term. These aren't mutually exclusive.

I should point out I don't believe this is actually happening - I merely objected of scepticism of "they would say that, wouldn't they" as a prospective response. These are the reasons scientific evidence gets continually peer reviewed and rebutted.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yup, if you don't have the jab you don't get on the jet....
I do welcome this and as I've said before if offered a vaccine I'd take it.

The most at risk person closest to me should get theirs next month and it'll be a huge sigh of relief from me and I hope the vaccines hold up against new strains. It doesn't mean I'll be blindly optimistic though. If I've learned anything in this pandemic it's that blind optimism is extremely flawed and liable to end in disappointment.
Closed Thread