Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sir Keir’s Kerfuffle

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Sir Keir’s Kerfuffle

Old 12-01-2021, 22:26   #466
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Sir Keir Starmer elected as new Labour leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If Sir Kier was PM and shut the country down for all of last year, would that have made him more popular?
He wasnt, and didnt, so no one will ever know.
As a guess, he'd be just as unpopular, if not more.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2021, 22:42   #467
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Guess Sir Keir would have to go it some to be better than Bozza's Covid response which has led to the most deaths in Europe.
https://timeline-of-failure.com/
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 14:39   #468
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Guess Sir Keir would have to go it some to be better than Bozza's Covid response which has led to the most deaths in Europe.
https://timeline-of-failure.com/
We are on the front foot with the vaccine, which will dramatically reduce deaths, leaving other countries still trying to get their acts together with mounting deaths while they get themselves organised with the vaccine. They will soon catch up, and surpass us with the death tolls, if they haven’t already done so.

They might like to revise their death tolls while they are at it to include EVERYONE who dies of Covid, and then you will see we’ve not done so badly after all. Excluding care home and community fatalities was a nice trick, but they’ve been rumbled.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Just shows how mixed up he was/is with his messages.
Agreed.He’s been constantly going on about how he would have locked down before Boris did. Would he really ever have let us out for the summer? I don’t think he had the nerve.

I suspect that under Kier, he would have been panicked into a lockdown and would have been intimidated by our dear scientists to keep us all locked up all summer long.

But as Paul says, I guess we will never know. However some of us can make an intelligent guess...
Old 19-01-2021, 15:06   #469
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Old Boy the UK stats don't include everyone who dies of Covid - as you well know - it only includes those with a positive test within 28 days.

Also your opinion that other countries will catch up - and surpass - our death toll. That is pure conjecture on your part.

It also ignores their potential to do what you've claimed we should do all along which is just shield those at risk.

If it's that easy - and I'm offering you some latitude here - surely other countries could do it while rolling out their shiny 95% effective vaccines?

Or do you finally concede that 'just shield those at risk' never has been, and never will be, a credible Covid-19 response for anyone, anywhere in the world?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 17:08   #470
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

From the ‘Daily Telegraph’:

‘THE Welsh government has come under fire for a “truly bewildering” policy of delaying the coronavirus vaccine rollout, with the British Medical Association and No 10 leading the criticism.

Mark Drakeford, the First Minister, yesterday defended the slower rollout in Wales, claiming they were stringing out supplies of the Pfizer jab so vaccinators were not left idle. His government has faced criticism for vaccinating fewer people in proportion to its population than any other home nation.

However, rather than silencing his critics, his comments led to an immediate backlash. Dr David Bailey, chairman of the BMA in Wales said: “For the First Minister to say there is no point in using all the supplies in a week to ensure vaccinators aren’t standing around with nothing to do is truly bewildering”. He called on the Welsh Government “to stop sitting on supplies and get on with it”.’

Just one example of how Labour politicians think. Absolutely bewildering. I’m afraid Sir Kier seems little different to me.
Old 19-01-2021, 17:18   #471
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
From the ‘Daily Telegraph’:

‘THE Welsh government has come under fire for a “truly bewildering” policy of delaying the coronavirus vaccine rollout, with the British Medical Association and No 10 leading the criticism.

Mark Drakeford, the First Minister, yesterday defended the slower rollout in Wales, claiming they were stringing out supplies of the Pfizer jab so vaccinators were not left idle. His government has faced criticism for vaccinating fewer people in proportion to its population than any other home nation.

However, rather than silencing his critics, his comments led to an immediate backlash. Dr David Bailey, chairman of the BMA in Wales said: “For the First Minister to say there is no point in using all the supplies in a week to ensure vaccinators aren’t standing around with nothing to do is truly bewildering”. He called on the Welsh Government “to stop sitting on supplies and get on with it”.’

Just one example of how Labour politicians think. Absolutely bewildering. I’m afraid Sir Kier seems little different to me.
... Just one example of how idiots think.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 17:28   #472
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy the UK stats don't include everyone who dies of Covid - as you well know - it only includes those with a positive test within 28 days.

Also your opinion that other countries will catch up - and surpass - our death toll. That is pure conjecture on your part.

It also ignores their potential to do what you've claimed we should do all along which is just shield those at risk.

If it's that easy - and I'm offering you some latitude here - surely other countries could do it while rolling out their shiny 95% effective vaccines?

Or do you finally concede that 'just shield those at risk' never has been, and never will be, a credible Covid-19 response for anyone, anywhere in the world?
Just in case you missed it OB - I'd a couple of pertinent questions there on your inconsistencies re: all things covid.

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... Just one example of how idiots think.
Curious as to whether there is anyone in the UK, or even the world, with an ongoing supply of the vaccine that has administered every single dose.
Old 19-01-2021, 18:25   #473
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
which initself skews the figures as they may not have died of Covid. Either way you look at it the data is flawed.

By what % we don't know
Old 19-01-2021, 18:28   #474
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
which initself skews the figures as they may not have died of Covid. Either way you look at it the data is flawed.

By what % we don't know
Indeed. The ONS data indicates a much higher death rate based on death certificates. I suppose country to country comparisons would require some kind of consistency to be helpful but OB has made a very bold claim there about deaths "catching up" considering he thinks a country can successfully both reopen an economy and shield the vulnerable with minimal deaths. Quite the contradiction I'm sure you'd agree.
Old 19-01-2021, 18:48   #475
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

By what % we don't know
I'm not sure the data itself is flawed, perhaps the criteria used to define the data could be better?

As jfman indicates, another perhaps more accurate measure is to look at the additional deaths since the first Covid death compared to similar 12-month periods in previous years. But if this generates a higher figure than the 28-day figure then I can understand why the government would prefer the lower figure.

But all of this is incidental to Old Boy's catching-up claim.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:13   #476
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Indeed. The ONS data indicates a much higher death rate based on death certificates. I suppose country to country comparisons would require some kind of consistency to be helpful but OB has made a very bold claim there about deaths "catching up" considering he thinks a country can successfully both reopen an economy and shield the vulnerable with minimal deaths. Quite the contradiction I'm sure you'd agree.
Well I think things could have been done better, especially as we came into Lockdowns 2 & 3 and before you ask no I don’t have all the alternatives but it surely couldn’t be beyond the wit of man to come up with something more sophisticated than more lockdowns. I’m not a fan of Lockdowns. I think I’ve been consistent on that.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm not sure the data itself is flawed, perhaps the criteria used to define the data could be better?

As jfman indicates, another perhaps more accurate measure is to look at the additional deaths since the first Covid death compared to similar 12-month periods in previous years. But if this generates a higher figure than the 28-day figure then I can understand why the government would prefer the lower figure.

But all of this is incidental to Old Boy's catching-up claim.
Well I think that is what was supposed to be the method as advised during the initial wave.

I would go as far to say 3-5 year average comparisons would probably be better.

Regardless of what the final numbers may be I doubt it’ll tell you much and I doubt comparisons to other countries stats will be helpful either
Old 19-01-2021, 19:20   #477
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well I think things could have been done better, especially as we came into Lockdowns 2 & 3 and before you ask no I don’t have all the alternatives but it surely couldn’t be beyond the wit of man to come up with something more sophisticated than more lockdowns. I’m not a fan of Lockdowns. I think I’ve been consistent on that.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Well I think that is what was supposed to be the method as advised during the initial wave.

I would go as far to say 3-5 year average comparisons would probably be better.

Regardless of what the final numbers may be I doubt it’ll tell you much and I doubt comparisons to other countries stats will be helpful either
If you're looking for perfection in stats, you won't find it but that shouldn't rule out benchmarking against peers.

During the initial wave, many Covid-related deaths were not identified as such as people were not tested so an excess deaths comparison is likely a more accurate indicator.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 19:42   #478
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Back on topic, please - we already have a Coronavirus thread.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 03:44   #479
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Not exactly true, they also provide a count of those with covid 19 on the death certificate.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 09:01   #480
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Not exactly true, they also provide a count of those with covid 19 on the death certificate.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths
....And our stats include deaths in care homes and in the community. The inclusiveness of our figures compared with others is bound to result in a higher number.

Anyway, back on topic, Sir Kier has been more in favour of locking everyone down and being much more generous to everyone with payouts, which would certainly please some but I'm sure would frustrate many others, and make the state of the economy ten times worse.

In the good times, Labour squander the money and in bad times they squander the money we don't have.

Some people, bless them, find that an attractive proposition.