Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2021, 14:20   #2806
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Boris got well and truly skewered by Starmer at PMQs today.

To my eyes at least, the children's meal package that Boris said was unacceptable, etc, was pointed out by Starmer to be exactly in line with the official Education Dept. guidance.

Boris could only answer that the Conservatives instituted free school meals, not Labour, plus a load of bumbling waffle.

Skewered and Boris knew it.

I agree
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2021, 14:37   #2807
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I found out as shops are private property that can refuse entry to anyone they want.

Personally I'd ban anyone without a mask, unless they had a Drs letter, then they would only be allowed in at certain times to protect others.

I say Drs leter as you can buy an exemption card online which is pointless.

You're wrong... again....

You CANNOT legally ban someone from entering a store due to a disability.

By law a store CANNOT ask someone what disability they have much less ask them to provide proof of it, but they can ask if someone has a disability.

This is why the announcements from the supermarkets are unfortunately just a token gesture.

Thankfully what you have posted will not occur, imagine telling a group of people in society that they can only shop at certain hours to keep another group of people happy.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:45   #2808
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

By law a store CANNOT ask someone what disability they have much less ask them to provide proof of it, but they can ask if someone has a disability.

This is why the announcements from the supermarkets are unfortunately just a token gesture.

Thankfully what you have posted will not occur, imagine telling a group of people in society that they can only shop at certain hours to keep another group of people happy.
I don't think it's tokenism. If the supermarkets really do the maximum permissible under the Equality Act it will be enough to force the majority of anti-maskers to cave in rather than tell a direct lie about having a disability. After all, if you're taking a principled stand, what's the point lying about it?

They should be able to significantly reduce the problem of unmasked people in their stores, without doing anything illegal.
Old 13-01-2021, 14:53   #2809
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't think it's tokenism. If the supermarkets really do the maximum permissible under the Equality Act it will be enough to force the majority of anti-maskers to cave in rather than tell a direct lie about having a disability. After all, if you're taking a principled stand, what's the point lying about it?

They should be able to significantly reduce the problem of unmasked people in their stores, without doing anything illegal.
It's not token intent, but due to the laws it becomes a token gesture. I believe the vast majority will just go 'i have a disability....' and then swan off into the store.
Old 13-01-2021, 15:19   #2810
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's not token intent, but due to the laws it becomes a token gesture. I believe the vast majority will just go 'i have a disability....' and then swan off into the store.
From what I've read, asking people has proved effective.
Old 13-01-2021, 15:46   #2811
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Nope 100% right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55633843

However, supermarkets can deny entry to their premises which is private property, and can call the police if someone refuses to follow the rules or becomes abusive.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Also they could use health and saftey at work act.

Which basically has a bit that says the company has a duty of care to protect it staff for harm.

Not wearing on can be classed here.

Plus I didn't say disabled.

I said proof should be provided via a doctors letter not some tat, that can be bought without proof.

Last edited by Hom3r; 13-01-2021 at 15:50.
Old 13-01-2021, 16:12   #2812
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Nope 100% right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55633843

However, supermarkets can deny entry to their premises which is private property, and can call the police if someone refuses to follow the rules or becomes abusive.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Also they could use health and saftey at work act.

Which basically has a bit that says the company has a duty of care to protect it staff for harm.

Not wearing on can be classed here.

Plus I didn't say disabled.

I said proof should be provided via a doctors letter not some tat, that can be bought without proof.

You're missing the point... All someone has to do is say that they have a disability the supermarket can't then by LAW

a) Ask to see proof
b) Ask what disability they suffer from

As i said the intent is not token, but in reality (and i dont share Chris's optimism although i wish he was right) i suspect it will make little difference

You're wrong...

health and safety at work has nothing to do with it
Old 13-01-2021, 16:56   #2813
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ok, Let's move on people, we dont need pages of arguments about masks, time will tell how it pans out.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 14-01-2021, 17:12   #2814
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Travel ban on South American arrivals from Friday - also includes Portugal. HMG is increasingly concerned about another new Covid variant that has been spreading in Brazil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55666198
Old 14-01-2021, 17:51   #2815
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Travel ban on South American arrivals from Friday - also includes Portugal. HMG is increasingly concerned about another new Covid variant that has been spreading in Brazil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55666198
Can't wait till we are all begging for a Brazilian vax
Old 14-01-2021, 18:25   #2816
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My dad had his Coronavirus Jab this afternoon.

We just parked up joined the queue, asked a few questions, then had to give permission for the jab, after this we had to wait for 15 minutes to make sure there was no reaction.
Old 14-01-2021, 22:25   #2817
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
My dad had his Coronavirus Jab this afternoon.

We just parked up joined the queue, asked a few questions, then had to give permission for the jab, after this we had to wait for 15 minutes to make sure there was no reaction.
I had my jab today and I had a massive reaction....

Because I arrived naked with a massive ostrich feather sticking out my arse.
Old 14-01-2021, 22:31   #2818
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Old 15-01-2021, 13:15   #2819
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Covid-19: Brazil variant already in UK, scientist says.

Travellers from South America were banned from entering the UK on Friday.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told the BBC this morning he was "not aware" of any cases of the Brazilian coronavirus variant in the UK.

Asked if the Brazilian strain was currently in the country, he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Not as far as we are aware, I think, at this stage."

But Prof Wendy Barclay, who is heading a newly-launched project to study the effects of emerging coronavirus mutations called the G2P-UK National Virology Consortium, said one Brazilian variant of coronavirus had been detected in the UK.

"There are two different types of Brazilian variants and one of them has been detected and one of them has not," she said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55...ey%20mutations.
Old 15-01-2021, 13:36   #2820
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Did the pixies put it there