Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 15-12-2020, 21:38   #10216
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Thanks. What I'm trying to establish is whether it's my poor broadband or a issue with live events being streamed,and from what you say it's the latter rather than my broadband.
l would definitely say it was the latter.
Old 15-12-2020, 21:58   #10217
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz82 View Post
Have you tried watching the game on a different device or just through the Virgin box?

I found on my Fire Stick that changing the output resolution in settings to 50Hz instead of Automatic fixed the poor juddery picture.

Not sure if the Virgin box has any similar settings (There's a setting on Sky Q boxes called Judder which also fixes the issue).
Yeah watched on my Samsung smart TV app and on Sky Q box but both the same. Wasn't aware of this judder thing and not sure what I need to do whilst remaining in the app?

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l would definitely say it was the latter.
Yeah my thought too. Simple answer is keep sport on linear channels.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 22:56   #10218
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah watched on my Samsung smart TV app and on Sky Q box but both the same. Wasn't aware of this judder thing and not sure what I need to do whilst remaining in the app?
On Sky Q, press home, go to Settings, Setup and Audio Visual. Scroll to the bottom and make sure "Judder reduction for TV apps" is OFF.

Judder reduction, when switched on, changes the Sky Q output to 60Hz when opening a US originated app (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) which matches the contents original frames per second and avoids judder.

European live sport is originally broadcast at 50Hz so this option is counter productive and switching it off will keep the output at 50Hz which will ensure a smoother picture.

Quote:
Yeah my thought too. Simple answer is keep sport on linear channels.
I totally agree, as well as picture quality issues streamed sport also introduces a delay. This can be as much as 40 seconds to a minute behind "live" which opens up further issues including score notifications on other apps/sources such as Sky Sports News displaying updates before you see it take place and also issues with in play betting.

Until these issues can be rectified then, in my opinion, streamed live sport is really a non-starter.
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 08:59   #10219
daveoc14
cf.member

daveoc14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched first half on firestick and second on the built in tv app and both were very poor, the firestick being worst. Then I watched the Man City game on the firestick and the picture was superb, proper UHD.
daveoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 10:23   #10220
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

I always watch the games on the fire stick. You're right, the City game was top quality. I actually prefer the Amazon picture to the 'normal' SS1 or BT. The colours seem a lot more vibrant on my TV
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 12:06   #10221
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
I always watch the games on the fire stick. You're right, the City game was top quality. I actually prefer the Amazon picture to the 'normal' SS1 or BT. The colours seem a lot more vibrant on my TV
Sound more like your TV itself has a different picture setting for each input.

Although there’s a difference in frame rate and resolution between broadcasts on Sky and an Amazon stick, I’ve never seen a difference with colour vibrancy or contrast.
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:20   #10222
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

English Premier League on the back foot as live tv rights auction nears.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-auction-nears

Quote:
The auction of UK broadcast rights for the 2022-25 seasons will begin later this year and is expected to be a contest between the current holders – Sky, BT and Amazon.
Quote:
Two months prior, Sky and BT ended a nearly decade-long dispute to strike a channel-sharing deal so that customers could watch all Premier League games without being forced to buy separate TV packages. This reduced the need to bid big or miss out on the best games.
Quote:
Amazon is an opportunistic rights buyer with deals including the Champions League in Germany and a new deal in Italy in December, but it has remained tightly cost-conscious.

“The idea that Amazon is going to spend £1bn at the next auction is laughable,” said one TV industry executive who has been involved in a number of Premier League auctions. “There are a lot of other cheap rights Amazon can invest in, which is what they have done historically.”
Old 11-01-2021, 08:26   #10223
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I heard Amazon were after the Ashes series next winter, probably more affordable for them.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:54   #10224
carravetta
cf.member

Services: Sky Q 2TB, Sky Q Multiroom, Broadband and Phone
carravetta is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it will be the same outcome as the previous auction unless someone springs a surprise (YouTube)

Personally I think they should make all 380 games available
carravetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:45   #10225
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I heard Amazon were after the Ashes series next winter, probably more affordable for them.
l fully expect Sky and BT to pick up the main packages of football matches again with Amazon picking up their usual bargain basement package again.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:44   #10226
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
l fully expect Sky and BT to pick up the main packages of football matches again with Amazon picking up their usual bargain basement package again.
Oh i dunno, Channel 5 could surprise us all
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:52   #10227
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Have you been watching those pink elephants go flying by again..
Old 11-01-2021, 13:02   #10228
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Thanks for posting, no real surprises there.

The only possible rights competition I can see is for Amazon's rights, BT's and Sky's are at a different price point. Someone like Eurosport or DAZN may think that Amazon got a bargain and decide to give it a go themselves.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 13:10   #10229
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Not sure it is the expense - Amazon policy is not to get involved in long-term rights.

By that I mean things spread over a season - hence they like the concentrated hit of their 2 rounds of EPL matches (timed to entice new Prime members around Black Friday and Xmas).

I think it is highly possible the Ashes may be on a streamer of some nature as it will generate a lot of subscriptions.

However, where streamers lose out is many people just subscribe for a month or two, watch a particular thing then cancel.

I did exactly this with Prime - took month free trial for the Autumn Rugby internationals kept it for an extra month for the football over Xmas then cancelled. Since, cancelling I have received numerous emails from Amazon extolling the virtues of Prime that I will be missing.

Interestingly, this hasn't as yet extended itself to a discounted offer.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 17:03   #10230
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Quote:
Have you been watching those pink elephants go flying by again..
Channel 5, back in the day, used to regularly pick up random International and European football matches. They did well for them as I recall. Not really any different them trying something similar again when likes of BBC are picking up random English Premier matches.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote