Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 09-12-2020, 09:25   #346
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Sorry that's Quickstart swap i.e. Self install.

As for a forced migration, I have no idea where that date has come from. Nothing has been said about any forced move from TiVo for any customer.
Thanks Ben. I don't know where that dates come from either. It was reported that VM last signed a deal with TiVo in November 2017 so, assuming it was for 5 years, that would be November 2022, not September next year!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2020, 09:52   #347
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The general rumour is that it will be in nine months time.
You are the only person spreading this rumour, please stop.

VM have not made any announcement about forcing people to migrate to TV360, its a different product to the TiVo platform with different features. I can also clarify that there is no forced migration planned in the near future.

When TiVo launched on the VM platform 10 years ago, people were not force migrated from the legacy PVR's, in fact there are still 1000's of legacy V+ and TV Drive's out there today.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53   #348
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
You are the only person spreading this rumour, please stop.

VM have not made any announcement about forcing people to migrate to TV360, its a different product to the TiVo platform with different features. I can also clarify that there is no forced migration planned in the near future.

When TiVo launched on the VM platform 10 years ago, people were not force migrated from the legacy PVR's, in fact there are still 1000's of legacy V+ and TV Drive's out there today.
No, i'm not.

I think that VM will eventually migrate existing customers at some point as they won't want to carry on paying to use the TiVo software when they have the LG Horizon/TV360 software that they own. The question is when, as I will have to take this into consideration come contract renewal time. I like the TiVo software, so will keep it for as long as I can, but don't care for the TV360 and intend to change to Sky Q when I can no longer have it.

I think that you are incorrect about the legacy PVR's and that the only boxes now officially in use on the VM platform are the TiVo, V6 and now the TV360. Happy to be corrected if i'm wrong, but I believe that all channels were removed from the legacy boxes apart from channels 1-5 in a last ditch effort to push people to swap over. Maybe some people still have them with these few channels and are paying for them! I really don't know.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-12-2020 at 10:56.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:59   #349
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Richard can you provide a source for that rumour?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:13   #350
weesteev
Cable Guru

weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think that you are incorrect about the legacy PVR's and that the only boxes now officially in use on the VM platform are the TiVo, V6 and now the TV360. Happy to be corrected if i'm wrong, but I believe that all channels were removed from the legacy boxes apart from channels 1-5 in a last ditch effort to push people to swap over. Maybe some people still have them with these few channels and are paying for them! I really don't know.
Again you are speculating, you are indeed incorrect.

Not sure what you mean by "channels were removed" as the broadcast TV platform is exactly the same as it was when it was deployed in 2007. The type of box is the only difference, nothing to do with the broadcast TV network.

I can confirm that older boxes are still active on the network as I'm currently staring at a live TV Drive box as well as checking the inventory list on the network confirms a lot of active devices across all three network areas in the UK.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:17   #351
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Richard can you provide a source for that rumour?
There is no source...
Old 09-12-2020, 11:26   #352
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Richard is correct that only channels 101 to 105 and 113 remain on V+ and V-HD boxes. However, that's all that many users want. We aren't currently forcing these users to move to TiVo, never mind TV360.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:36   #353
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There is no source...
Correct. Put together a few random facts and make wild assumptions. That's all. Not even the acceptance of the above facts will get an apology.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:36   #354
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Richard is correct that only channels 101 to 105 and 113 remain on V+ and V-HD boxes. However, that's all that many users want. We aren't currently forcing these users to move to TiVo, never mind TV360.
He isn't correct, if the customers account is still provisioned with the legacy DTV codes then they will have access to the full channel list. As I stated, I have a test TV Drive box (silver, pre V+) here with the legacy codes and I can get all channels including premium.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:16   #355
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
He isn't correct, if the customers account is still provisioned with the legacy DTV codes then they will have access to the full channel list. As I stated, I have a test TV Drive box (silver, pre V+) here with the legacy codes and I can get all channels including premium.
Your box still lists the channels because it's on really old software. This isn't the case with customers' boxes.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 13:16   #356
weesteev
Cable Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Your box still lists the channels because it's on really old software. This isn't the case with customers' boxes.
Its nothing to do with the software, the legacy software hasn't been updated in a along time now. This is down to how equipment is provisioned on the billing platform. Over the years, most boxes have been swapped out or customers have upgraded their service but there are still a good number of legacy boxes out there

The point wasn't so much that it isn't possible, my post referred more to the bizarre statements from RC about removing channels being the reason for lack of service on legacy boxes.

Old 09-12-2020, 14:01   #357
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Channels have been removed from the Liberate based V boxes for customers over the time, either by technology changes or specific activity.

The main change has been the move of channels to MPEG4 which means only a Samsung V+ box or a V HD box would be able to decode them. A TV Drive installed on the customer network will not pick up anything - even if it could still see the channel listing.

Sky Cinema and Sports channels were also specifically removed and accounts updated to stop V boxes receiving them, again alongside their move to MPEG4.

For any Samsung V+ or V HD boxes that remain installed, all paid channels will no longer be authorised on the Smartcards. So at most they'd be able to see BBC One to Channel 5, but likely with some warning messages on screen too.

The V box decommissioning didn't start until many years after the launch of TiVo and V6, and it took literally years of activity to get customers to swap for different reasons. Only at the very end of the activity in 2018 to early 2019 was there a forced migration for remaining customers with a V box.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706401

I see no reason why any migration of customers from TiVo/V6 won't be managed in the same way - starting with all new TV customers (whether brand new or with other existing cable service) now being 360 only.

So TiVo/V6 isn't going away anytime soon, nor will anyone be migrated without a clear understanding of when and why.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-12-2020 at 14:07.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 16:26   #358
weesteev
Cable Guru

Well said Ben

Old 09-12-2020, 21:16   #359
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well said Ben
Indeed. Ben (& SP) have both reassured me and corrected your misunderstanding of the situsation.
Old 09-12-2020, 21:59   #360
weesteev
Cable Guru

How to make friends and influence people by RC

No misunderstanding on my part mate.