Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Mandalorian

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

The Mandalorian

Old 27-11-2020, 22:05   #196
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The Mandalorian

They did nothing fundamentally different than any other week. The difference that’s got you peeing your pants is a decision to reference a couple of extended universe characters, plus Yoda. You’re claiming this is somehow all pure and meaningful but I’m sorry I find that reaction a bit shallow.

The Mandalorian has been an unqualified success for Disney+ with characters that have gained recognition far beyond the actual audience. It tells straightforward, easy to follow stories in a universe that is both familiar and new. It does this week in, week out, to great acclaim. And Mrs and I enjoyed it equally as much this evening, even though I got the Grand Admiral Thrawn reference and she didn’t.

And yes, I bought and read the original Thrawn trilogy as it was published. I like Star Wars a lot, but I like the Mandalorian for its ability to move through the Star Wars universe without feeling obliged to initiate fangasms week after week.

Last edited by Chris; 27-11-2020 at 22:08.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2020, 02:49   #197
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Thrawn was in Star Wars Rebels as well.

Another good episode, and a bit longer again this week.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:26   #198
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Indeed. And I know a lot of fanbois were sorely peeved that he didn’t show up in the final 3 saga films. But if they’re going to use a version of him in the saga continuity (it can only be a version, because his original novels from 1991-1993 have been disqualified) the Mandalorian is as good a place as any to do it.

That said, I really don’t think we’re going to see Mando drawn into the whole remnants-of-empire rearguard action. That isn’t the point of the series and it isn’t who he is.
Old 28-11-2020, 11:24   #199
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It tells straightforward, easy to follow stories in a universe that is both familiar
Correct, and it is the easy to follow stories which are shallow. It is a very Airwolf/A-team style series where you just hop from planet to planet every week for the weekly scrap. It would be believable if the series was just about his bounty hunter adventures but it isn't. There is supposed to be this big important story of how he is trying to reunite baby Yoda with his people and keep him safe and that doesn't gel with visiting every planet you come across and leaving him with random people. Imho they have got the balance wrong in storytelling and haven't put enough emphasis on the saving Yoda storyline and it is all revolving justifying and establishing the weekly punch ups. The last couple of episodes though look like they are changing direction and give me hope.

Quote:
They did nothing fundamentally different than any other week. The difference that’s got you peeing your pants is a decision to reference a couple of extended universe characters, plus Yoda. You’re claiming this is somehow all pure and meaningful but I’m sorry I find that reaction a bit shallow.
Incorrect. I know nothing of the extended universe so referencing Admiral thingy at the end and anyone else I might have missed didn't mean anything to me. You made the important point that the series exists in a universe that we know and when that happens efforts have to be made to keep the universe alive and make you believe that what you are seeing and experiencing is in keeping and part of that universe. There are two things that did it for me in that episode. The first one was seeing the Jedi, seeing her in action and listening to her talk about the force and interacting with baby Yoda. The purity and meaning I mentioned is how this is done. It isn't enough to say it or do some cheesy trick with the force. It is how it is executed from the tone of the dialogue (the Jedi believes what she is saying) and the manner in which it is executed. You believed every word she was saying and that she was a real Jedi, she lived the life and was determined to uphold her beliefs and values no matter the cost. That all comes across and is why these insignificant subtleties you don't care about matter. It all adds to the realism factor. They could have showed you somebody dancing around the forest with a lightsaber, waving their arm around and throwing some trees with the Force and saying they are a Jedi and you would have been happy with that but it would have been a disservice to the Jedi and Star Wars. You can slap all the locations and characters in a series you want but they are just cardboard unless they behave and interact the way you know they should do in a given situation and the experience is believable and realistic.
The second was (finally) getting some back story on baby Yoda, where he came from and why he is in his current predicament and what needs to happen going forward, These kind of things add depth to the character and story, give the story structure and make everything more realistic. If understanding Yoda's backstory isn't significant and doesn't hold any value then it doesn't matter whether he is in it or not. Kill him off in the next episode and Mando can continue to be on the run plodding from one planet to the next and all is good.
What is shallow is that you seem content for them to throw anything and everything into the series and say "it's ok, I know it is in Star Wars and I don't need to know anything else". Maybe when Mando lands on the next planet we have Jabba the Hut and the Millenium Falcon in the background. Everyone can get excited about seeing them but we don't need to know how or why they are there.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:46   #200
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quite.

I think it’s pretty clear which one of us has the better appreciation of how a Jedi should be portrayed. For the record, she was well written and performed and she helped further the story. The Child is after all a youngling of the temple so it’s not random fan service to throw in a Jedi knight from time to time. But this series is about how one orphan saves another. It’s about a bounty hunter who is shown to have an honour code. It’s about his struggle to reconcile the two (which is why we see him frequently juggling the Child while trying to help every hopeless cause he comes across. It’s a pity this pretty fundamental piece of character exploration keeps going over your head, because it’s this, and not Yoda-esque monologues about the Force, that drives the story).

You still seem to be having trouble separating the saga films from a weekly serial, aimed at a family audience, and deliberately designed as a pastiche of a 1950s western. Which is a shame because they really couldn’t have laid on the lone gunslinger motif any thicker this week if they’d used a trowel.

If you’re not familiar with the extended universe, then I recommend you dip into it. Not all of it is entirely canon, particularly not Grand Admiral Thrawn as originally written because those original novels develop some of the main saga characters in ways that were later overruled by episodes 7-9 (to the annoyance of some fans). But they will give you an idea of how the wider Star Wars universe actually works, outside of the massive, multi-generational family empire saga that is told in the nine principal films. The Mandalorian is made by people who know how that universe works (Kathleen Kennedy in particular, produced all five Star Wars films released since 2015), and what they are making is entirely consistent with it.

Last edited by Chris; 28-11-2020 at 12:01.
Old 28-11-2020, 12:05   #201
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think GM is expecting too much from a simple little show about a bounty hunter, tasked with reuniting the child with its species.
The story moves along nicely. Only visiting planets that are necessary and not just every planet he comes across.

Asoka is a pretty interesting character and is explored a lot in Clone Wars. Knowing who she is and who trained her is also a big part of her.
Old 28-11-2020, 18:43   #202
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Which is a shame because they really couldn’t have laid on the lone gunslinger motif any thicker this week if they’d used a trowel.
The dual at the end was a perfect western quick draw, I could almost hear the good the bad and the ugly in my head.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 19:08   #203
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The dual at the end was a perfect western quick draw, I could almost hear the good the bad and the ugly in my head.
I’ll have to watch it again but I’m sure there were just a couple of notes in the soundtrack that referenced it.

Likewise when Ahsoka started monologuing about the Force I think there was the briefest of snippets of Yoda’s Theme from The Empire Strikes Back.
Old 01-12-2020, 13:26   #204
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...oka-tano-grogu

The Mandalorian: Rosario Dawson Tells All About Ahsoka Tano
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 15:08   #205
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
She sees this child and names the name “Yoda” for [the first time] in our show. [Composer] Ludwig Göransson does a really masterful thing where the music, just for a moment, becomes John Williams’s “Yoda’s Theme.” Those are those little overlapping moments that I just love, and it’s why I’ve always insisted on using Star Wars music so fleetingly because you don’t want that unless you’re talking about that character. It’s their music. We had an opportunity to just give it a little grace moment.
Ears, take a bow.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:31   #206
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Just getting in to this, started watching Season 1 at weekend, on episode 4 so far.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 17:40   #207
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

This is the way.
Old 01-12-2020, 18:21   #208
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

And the cutest thing in the galaxy, is a Baby Yoda.
Old 01-12-2020, 18:38   #209
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
And the cutest thing in the galaxy, is a Baby Yoda.
Grogu.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 18:48   #210
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Grogu.
This was revealed in Season 2, this information, I just read up, so thanks for that tiny bit of an unwarranted spoiler. As I said above, I am still up to Ep 4 of Season 1.