Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 28-10-2020, 14:24   #31
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It doesn't work like that. Bigger cities need more work. Southampton and Reading got it first, and neither of them are large cities. It happens where the network is ready.

That said, I'm not aware of any announcement about Swansea yet. Nor Bournemouth.
Makes sense. There have been a couple of outages for upgrades over the past few months so am hoping that means it may be coming but will wait and see
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2020, 17:15   #32
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

1 gig comes to my area in Swansea on OCT 31st..So they Say..Thankfully I don't need it and can't afford it anyway. Can just about afford my 350gig..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 18:59   #33
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Suspect Newcastle will take a while the, as it's mostly old NTL (I believe!)
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 20:37   #34
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Suspect Newcastle will take a while the, as it's mostly old NTL (I believe!)
Nope, it's ex-Telewest.

Though that isn't relevant. The regions that already have 1gig are a mix of ex-NTL, C&W and Telewest areas.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 20:43   #35
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Nope, it's ex-Telewest.

Though that isn't relevant. The regions that already have 1gig are a mix of ex-NTL, C&W and Telewest areas.
Had 50% chance of being right haha... i was just under the impression it'd take longer to upgrade the old telewest areas
Old 30-10-2020, 13:55   #36
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Over the 4 years I have lived here, my IP has been very sticky, and even despite account changes (terminate in my name, sign up in wifes for better deal, and vice versa) has stayed, I assume based on router MAC, except when I changed from a Ubiquiti USG to a UDM-Pro.

Until the last few months, when after short outages it has changed a couple of times. I've spent a lot of time keeping an eye on one.network as Cityfibre are slowly rolling out to Ipswich, and VM seem to be doing quite a few works too.

I'm vaguely hopeful this means Gig:1 soon.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 20:33   #37
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Just been upgraded to 600mb from 500 mb I never even asked for the upgrade either
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 20:35   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Just been upgraded to 600mb from 500 mb I never even asked for the upgrade either
That's this https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709132
Old 03-11-2020, 13:58   #39
Synthetic
cf.geek

Wonder if upload is still 35 for 600....
Old 03-11-2020, 14:17   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Wonder if upload is still 35 for 600....
Check the other thread for your answer
Old 03-11-2020, 14:45   #41
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Check the other thread for your answer
Ah i missed that. I logged into myVM and while it no longer shows me as on their "fastest broadband" when i click upgrade, I get an error so not sure how much it'd cost me to bump up
Old 03-11-2020, 15:07   #42
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I wonder when Swansea will get the 600mb upgrade?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 15:16   #43
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

There is a separate thread for the 600Mb upgrade so I'd ask on there. It's not directly connected to the Gig1 rollout.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:04   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Now in London and Northern Ireland

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...rthern-ireland

Quote:
Nearly 3 million homes in London and Northern Ireland, including Belfast, are the latest to benefit from Virgin Media’s gigabit rollout, with the next-generation services now available in 6.8 million homes across the UK
Old 05-11-2020, 12:01   #45
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Does this cover those who connect via Luton? I'm in Welwyn Garden City so we could sort of be considered a surrounding area to London, but I believe we come under Luton or at least we did when it was NTL.

The website is confusing because on the first page after entering my postcode I get this:

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 10.56.09.png

But on the next pages the green banner says the most I can get is 600Mb and if I try to order I get a message saying 1gig is not currently available in my area.

That first image though isn't very clear does it mean all those speeds are available to me (which they don't seem to be) or are there meant to be different colours for those which are avaliable.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote