Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 17-10-2020, 22:37   #10096
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Totally agree with you, Den, I'd be cancelling the sports package if that happens, in fact, I'd probably cancel the lot as it's the football that keeps me with Virgin more than anything else.
Hence why I don't think there's much motivation for BT and Sky to make this PPV experiment a success as it undermines their business models.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2020, 11:22   #10097
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Totally agree with you, Den, I'd be cancelling the sports package if that happens, in fact, I'd probably cancel the lot as it's the football that keeps me with Virgin more than anything else.
Me too.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 12:11   #10098
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Then if that happens its adios...
Yeah me too as I only sub to the sports channels to watch football
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 15:26   #10099
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Hence why I don't think there's much motivation for BT and Sky to make this PPV experiment a success as it undermines their business models.
I think the League are more interested in seeing it as a success to allow them to explore alternative funding models. Sky/BT would be delighted to see it crash and burn - undermines the Premier League stalking horse of them going it alone or a new entrant.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 15:58   #10100
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Newcastle fans boycott PPV match and donate fees to food bank.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ocal-food-bank

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think the League are more interested in seeing it as a success to allow them to explore alternative funding models. Sky/BT would be delighted to see it crash and burn - undermines the Premier League stalking horse of them going it alone or a new entrant.
Agreed. A fine balancing act for Sky/BT who need to be seen to go along with it but not make it a success! Not that I think it will at that price.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 17:25   #10101
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Newcastle fans boycott PPV match and donate fees to food bank.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ocal-food-bank

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Agreed. A fine balancing act for Sky/BT who need to be seen to go along with it but not make it a success! Not that I think it will at that price.
That's great if fans have boycotted the ppv games and donated to charity instead. Love to know the viewing figures for the games so far but have a feeling they won't be released.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 18:10   #10102
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
That's great if fans have boycotted the ppv games and donated to charity instead. Love to know the viewing figures for the games so far but have a feeling they won't be released.

I don't think they will be released (unless they are a lot better than we think)

There is an article in the Telegraph sport section today that analyses the PPV games - correspondent says the presentation was nothing like as good as a normal sky/BT game , hardly any lead in, short banal interviews with managers pre-match and 2 non-entities doing the commentary and half/full time punditry.

Not getting much for your £15.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 18:37   #10103
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I don't think they will be released (unless they are a lot better than we think)

There is an article in the Telegraph sport section today that analyses the PPV games - correspondent says the presentation was nothing like as good as a normal sky/BT game , hardly any lead in, short banal interviews with managers pre-match and 2 non-entities doing the commentary and half/full time punditry.

Not getting much for your £15.
I wonder if they are using the Premier League one that they make available in English and it's picked up by some other worldwide rights holders. Others, like Bein Sports go for a 1990s nostalgia feel with Keys and Gray.
Old 19-10-2020, 22:25   #10104
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I wonder if they are using the Premier League one that they make available in English and it's picked up by some other worldwide rights holders. Others, like Bein Sports go for a 1990s nostalgia feel with Keys and Gray.
I dunno, and am not paying to find out.

Described as very sub-standard which is poor when you consider the excuse for charging more than EFL clubs was supposed better presentation.
Old 19-10-2020, 23:21   #10105
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Unbelievable just added Sky Sports to my package and all the Villa games in the short term are box office.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 23:25   #10106
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I dunno, and am not paying to find out.

Described as very sub-standard which is poor when you consider the excuse for charging more than EFL clubs was supposed better presentation.
From reading the DS thread I don’t even think they are using that!
Old 20-10-2020, 01:13   #10107
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

i would imagine they'll offer a "monthly ticket" soon to try and get more people buying it. i remember the last time they did ppv games and it got like that in the end. think it was 50 quid a season in the end for like 30 games or something. That was after Ofcom got involved to make sky give up its monopoly of rights...only for them to end up on ppv if i remember correctly?

Last edited by vincerooney; 20-10-2020 at 01:14. Reason: s
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:59   #10108
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

Prem plus spring to mind with theses Ppv games
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 21:50   #10109
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
Prem plus spring to mind with theses Ppv games
Yes, you are correct - £50pa - I subscribed because it was a reasonable price (unlike the current PPV offering)
Old 21-10-2020, 02:11   #10110
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes, you are correct - £50pa - I subscribed because it was a reasonable price (unlike the current PPV offering)
it was at the time!

"After six seasons on air it closed down at the end of the 2006–07 season, when EU competition laws forced Sky to break its monopoly on the Premier League, having broadcast 270 matches live and exclusive from the Premier League"

I'm fairly sure it was ofcom which did this? So it went from 50 quid a season to an extra 20 quid a month for all the games!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote