Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cancellation - Final Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Cancellation - Final Bill

Old 13-10-2020, 21:26   #1
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Cancellation - Final Bill

So I cancelled my account on the 30th September, my instinct was to cancel my DD - but I was told not to.

I have just received my bill dated 12th October to cover the period 13th October to 12 November and to be taken on 5th November - WtF, I should only be paying until 30th October - there was no mention of my cancellation.

I have just spent 50 mins on the phone waiting to speak to someone.

When I eventually get through, the CS rep said I would be charged the full amount then get a refund after 45 days - when I said this was ridiculous, she said that is how it works.

Her solution was to cancel my DD, saying I would get a bill after my disconnection date and should pay that immediately. When I suggested that I could pay within 45 days I was told the bill would be in the hands of the debt collectors before then.

What a farce - legalised? Robbery.

Now I'm sure I made the correct decision to cancel.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2020, 21:32   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Cancellation - Final Bill

This is standard with Virgin Media. It allows for a customer who is cancelling to change their mind within the 30 day period and cancel their cancellation and continue.
For those that actually are cancelling and not just pretending, any overpayment will be returned when the cancellation actually happens.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 22:20   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
This is standard with Virgin Media. It allows for a customer who is cancelling to change their mind within the 30 day period and cancel their cancellation and continue.
For those that actually are cancelling and not just pretending, any overpayment will be returned when the cancellation actually happens.
If its 'standard practice' then its wrong.

Don't wait for VM for a refund, claim from your bank under the DD guarantee, as they're breaking the rules.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 22:31   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What rules are being broken? The Direct Debit taken will match the notified amount, so doesn't break any Direct Debit rules.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/Direct...guarantee.aspx

Quote:
The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit, for instance if a payment is taken on the incorrect date, or the wrong amount is collected. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation
As mentioned any overpayment from a bill once the cancellation completes is calculated and then refunded.
Old 13-10-2020, 22:46   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What rules are being broken? The Direct Debit taken will match the notified amount, so doesn't break any Direct Debit rules.

As mentioned any overpayment from a bill once the cancellation completes is calculated and then refunded.
If you've cancelled you've cancelled. VM seem to be assuming you didn't really mean it....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 22:51   #6
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Doesn't make any difference VM should only bill up until the cancellation date, it's actually frowned upon by Ofcom.
Raider contact Ofcom VM are forever crying about say BT or SKY yet they do scummy stuff like this.
Old 13-10-2020, 23:08   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I should have been clearer in my previous post.

As soon as the cancellation completes then a final bill is generated. Where possible this will replace an existing bill that goes past the cancellation date and so an amended payment will be taken on a different date to usual to comply with the advance notification required under the Direct Debit rules.

Its usually when the Direct Debit payment process has already started before the cancellation completes is an existing bill payment taken and then overpayment refunded.

Last edited by BenMcr; 13-10-2020 at 23:14.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 00:15   #8
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

As soon as the cancellation completes then a final bill is generated. Where possible this will replace an existing bill that goes past the cancellation date and so an amended payment will be taken on a different date to usual to comply with the advance notification required under the Direct Debit rules.

Its usually when the Direct Debit payment process has already started before the cancellation completes is an existing bill payment taken and then overpayment refunded.
Ah that makes it much clearer thanks Ben, this happens with any company i had the same when i left BT as the direct debit was already in process of going through i ended up making a overpayment which was refunded.
Old 14-10-2020, 23:36   #9
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Not what I was told when I eventually got through to CS.

As my end date is 30th October and payment date is 5th November, they have ample time to change the amount and collect what I actually owe.

I was definitely told the full amount would be taken as if I hadn't cancelled and a refund would be given after 45 days.
Old 14-10-2020, 23:40   #10
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not what I was told when I eventually got through to CS.

As my end date is 30th October and payment date is 5th November, they have ample time to change the amount and collect what I actually owe.

I was definitely told the full amount would be taken as if I hadn't cancelled and a refund would be given after 45 days.
45 days is unacceptable tbh, contact Ofcom also ask VM for intrest too.
Old 14-10-2020, 23:42   #11
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
45 days is unacceptable tbh, contact Ofcom also ask VM for intrest too.
I will contact Ofcom, for all the good that will do

As for interest, not much point with interest rates as low as they are.
Old 15-10-2020, 14:20   #12
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

A few months back I changed ISP & Gas/Electric supplier.

Both final bills were the paying the full normal amount, and then waiting for a refund for the difference, which both were received within a week.

I'm sure this was the case last time I have changed providers for anything, so I would say it's standard practice.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 17:42   #13
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post

Both final bills were the paying the full normal amount, and then waiting for a refund for the difference, which both were received within a week.

I'm sure this was the case last time I have changed providers for anything, so I would say it's standard practice.

Maybe, the difference is you were refunded within a week whereas VM are saying 45 days!
Old 15-10-2020, 19:56   #14
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post

45 days is unacceptable you was refunded within a week, VM are holding onto the ops money for longer than the average of 14 days companies take to refund.
Old 17-10-2020, 10:19   #15
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

I would suspect that due to monthly billing cycles - you pay the same day every month - and 14 days to do a refund, then 45 days may be cited by OFCOM somewhere as a reasonable maximum time for a refund to get to your bank after you cancel.

Sky have the same policy although this only really happens on accounts with phone and broadband.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote