Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 09-10-2020, 17:03   #10021
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Clubs should give season ticket holders vouchers to get these PPV games free.
It will also be an interesting experiment for the big clubs to see how many fans are prepared to pay outside of a TV sub and how much they are prepared to pay.
If this continues I'd forecast different prices throughout the season.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2020, 17:19   #10022
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I think the EFL have followed that route for season ticket holders.

My local club - Oxford City - is now streaming as PPV but free to season ticket holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Clubs should give season ticket holders vouchers to get these PPV games free.
It will also be an interesting experiment for the big clubs to see how many fans are prepared to pay outside of a TV sub and how much they are prepared to pay.
If this continues I'd forecast different prices throughout the season.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 18:11   #10023
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
It is up to the customers to ensure this is a failure by not subscribing.

As usual, I'm sure there will be a few that do because watching their team is important to them irrespective of cost which is fair enough but hopefully it doesn't become viable enough to continue long term.
Surely, it’s cheaper than actually going to see the match in the stadium. Those who normally attend these matches are saving money.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 18:23   #10024
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Just read about this. WTF!

Whilst I appreciate that they can't continue to broadcast games for free due to the clubs revenue losses, how will this fit in with the games that BT / Sky would be showing normally had C19 not been around?

They can't put all matches on PPV - they need to keep some free for those who subscribe to SS and BT for the football as a matter of course.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 18:36   #10025
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Just read about this. WTF!

Whilst I appreciate that they can't continue to broadcast games for free due to the clubs revenue losses, how will this fit in with the games that BT / Sky would be showing normally had C19 not been around?

They can't put all matches on PPV - they need to keep some free for those who subscribe to SS and BT for the football as a matter of course.
they still got the same amount of games on SS and BT it the games that's was not picked for tv coverage that on PPV
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 19:20   #10026
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Surely, it’s cheaper than actually going to see the match in the stadium. Those who normally attend these matches are saving money.
What could be interesting - genuinely - is the ability to assess demand for alternative funding models. Individual match buys, “away season tickets”, etc. and the potential that in future all 380 games are in the main rights auctions.

The down side, for any potential new entrant, is that Sky have all of the data so could value these packages more accurately. The League will be able to work out some metrics from the revenue, and Sky will probably provide them some analysis.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 19:45   #10027
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Not something I will pay £15 for. I pay enough already for sky sports and BT sport's. I refuse to pay extra for matches on Amazon Prime either.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 19:52   #10028
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
they still got the same amount of games on SS and BT it the games that's was not picked for tv coverage that on PPV
Ahh OK - I read it on The Guardian but it didn't mention that. Cheers
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 20:40   #10029
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What could be interesting - genuinely - is the ability to assess demand for alternative funding models. Individual match buys, “away season tickets”, etc. and the potential that in future all 380 games are in the main rights auctions.

The down side, for any potential new entrant, is that Sky have all of the data so could value these packages more accurately. The League will be able to work out some metrics from the revenue, and Sky will probably provide them some analysis.
I think you are right here, there's definitely a market for fans who only want to see their team in action.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:34   #10030
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Doesn't really need to get viewers it only has to keep Sky happy. Costs the league next to nothing to broadcast - every game recorded with English commentary for other markets.
Why pick on Sky - it is Sky and BT who are both doing this.

However, I have to agree - way over the top.

Bearing in mind there are 5 games not originally chosen in most rounds, these extra games have gone from being free to costing £75 per round if you want to watch all games!

Unless you are a supporter of a side on Ppv why would you subscribe - especially as all the better games are already on Sky/BT?

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:

When EPL was first on Sky (originally a monopoly) there was talk of being able to subscribe to a season ticket for all a selected teams games - this never materialised.

Not sure why they think many people will pay £15 per game.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 21:38   #10031
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think you are right here, there's definitely a market for fans who only want to see their team in action.
I certainly think the market is there - that customer exists. The problem is how the product they are interested in interacts with the other products.

If it impacts negatively on matchday ticket sales then it could be a negative for the league to allow it. A full season ticket is perhaps more likely to do this than an 'away' season ticket.

Would such a ticket include the games that are currently on Sky/BT (for ease I'm using existing rights holders, but know that this would be a future contract in reality)? If not, then a Manchester United/Liverpool fan could find maybe an additional half dozen games available. If it included all games the shift to a non-exclusive contract would impact on the value of the rights.

Of course - the League could retain the additional rights and endeavour to work with the main rights holder to incentivise subscription through their platform with a tapered cost - that'd also mean that someone who has the subscription services and wants to 'top up' to a full season wouldn't be paying for the same games twice.

It's not insurmountable, but does get more complicated the more rights holders there are. Pay per view football has, to date, generally not been a success in the UK. PremPlus most subscribers took the full year option. There's been a few attempts with minor European qualifiers over the years.

I know in the past France, Italy and Spain all dabbled with making additional games live on a pay per view basis on top of a 3/4 picks on standard subscription. However all now have wholly subscription models and all games live.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Why pick on Sky - it is Sky and BT who are both doing this.

However, I have to agree - way over the top.

Bearing in mind there are 5 games not originally chosen in most rounds, these extra games have gone from being free to costing £75 per round if you want to watch all games!

Unless you are a supporter of a side on Ppv why would you subscribe - especially as all the better games are already on Sky/BT?
I'm not intending to 'pick on' Sky - however I think they've the most to lose with more games going onto BT. Your average BT/Virgin customer who has BT Sport in their package would be less likely to take Sky Sports with the additional games in their package.

I think BT would generally be content with Sky getting extra games so long as they did too.

Quote:
When EPL was first on Sky (originally a monopoly) there was talk of being able to subscribe to a season ticket for all a selected teams games - this never materialised.

Not sure why they think many people will pay £15 per game.
I think season ticket holders might, but beyond that I'm not sure what the market is for games generally turned down for television already.
Old 09-10-2020, 21:41   #10032
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I certainly think the market is there - that customer exists. The problem is how the product they are interested in interacts with the other products.

If it impacts negatively on matchday ticket sales then it could be a negative for the league to allow it. A full season ticket is perhaps more likely to do this than an 'away' season ticket.

Would such a ticket include the games that are currently on Sky/BT (for ease I'm using existing rights holders, but know that this would be a future contract in reality)? If not, then a Manchester United/Liverpool fan could find maybe an additional half dozen games available. If it included all games the shift to a non-exclusive contract would impact on the value of the rights.

Of course - the League could retain the additional rights and endeavour to work with the main rights holder to incentivise subscription through their platform with a tapered cost - that'd also mean that someone who has the subscription services and wants to 'top up' to a full season wouldn't be paying for the same games twice.

It's not insurmountable, but does get more complicated the more rights holders there are. Pay per view football has, to date, generally not been a success in the UK. PremPlus most subscribers took the full year option. There's been a few attempts with minor European qualifiers over the years.

I know in the past France, Italy and Spain all dabbled with making additional games live on a pay per view basis on top of a 3/4 picks on standard subscription. However all now have wholly subscription models and all games live.

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

I'm not intending to 'pick on' Sky - however I think they've the most to lose with more games going onto BT. Your average BT/Virgin customer who has BT Sport in their package would be less likely to take Sky Sports with the additional games in their package.

I think BT would generally be content with Sky getting extra games so long as they did too.

I think season ticket holders might, but beyond that I'm not sure what the market is for games generally turned down for television already.
My team have just returned to the EPL - much as I like watching their games, I will not be paying £15 per game to do so, just as I refused to pay £10 to stream their championship games at the end of last season!

Just feeding the ridiculous wages of players, most of whom can only kick with one foot.
Old 09-10-2020, 21:45   #10033
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I do think it depends on the price point to some degree. I've in the past used a VPN and legitimately subscribed to a service to see all of the games for my team for £15 a month (for about 9/10 months). This includes everything except European games - good value in my book.

However I'd expect such a service to cost much more in the UK.
Old 09-10-2020, 23:48   #10034
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

What's been announced today isn't really that different to what's happened up here in Scotland. Any game that isn't on SKY is available to watch on a PPV basis via the various clubs websites. Rangers fans with season tickets get all home games free. It's £9.99 for non season ticket holders.

Clubs need to think outside the box to earn extra match day revenue like selling PDF versions of match day programmes, virtual raffle tickets for a half time draw or linking in with food chains like Dominoes Pizza. "Place an order during the match using promo code xxxxxx and your club will receive £1.00 from your order."

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Some clubs might even make more money up here than what they would from a proper match day!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...nue-crowd/amp/
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:55   #10035
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Bizarrely the PPV games will be free to clubs and pubs.

Surely this will encourage people to congregate together to watch foc - good for those establishments, but not so good for covid rates?