Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2020, 19:49   #5806
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Except that it will still be there, waiting for the fools who think they've beaten it.!
If the world locked down for this period of time then the virus would be history.
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2020, 19:54   #5807
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I know this might be a shock, but I totally agree with you.

There is no one "silver bullet", but if people use, cumulatively, a series of measures (proper washing of hands, keeping a distance, don't spend too much time in a crowded place, wearing a mask, etc.), all together they will reduce the risk - not to zero, but any lessening of the chance of being infected can only be a good thing.
Hugh, you need to go and lie down.
Old 19-09-2020, 20:01   #5808
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Another peer reviewed paper on T-cell immunity.

Link

Still needs more research though.
Thanks for highlighting this, very interesting.
Old 19-09-2020, 20:02   #5809
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If the world locked down for this period of time then the virus would be history.
Really? So it just goes away?
Old 19-09-2020, 20:21   #5810
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I believe it needs new non-immune human hosts in order to survive for more than a few days. A global lockdown - impossible to get all countries to agree - would achieve this.
Old 19-09-2020, 20:24   #5811
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I believe it needs new non-immune human hosts in order to survive for more than a few days. A global lockdown - impossible to get all countries to agree - would achieve this.
Yes, as you say, that would be impossible to achieve.
Old 19-09-2020, 20:26   #5812
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well not exactly, it fades away into the shadows and loses its notoriety . . .

. . . only to emerge 3 years later as a contestant on a celebrity quiz show
Old 19-09-2020, 20:28   #5813
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Well not exactly, it fades away into the shadows and loses its notoriety . . .

. . . only to emerge 3 years later as a contestant on a celebrity quiz show

Old 19-09-2020, 23:36   #5814
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Are your assumptions based on material facts, jfman, rather than on your natural inclination to argue?

Nobody has all the answers, but there are one or two things becoming apparent as we learn more about the virus.

I would remind you that you have been berating the government consistenly for not locking down earlier, and you have been comparing our death totals with other countries who have not counted their death totals in the same way as we have.

In those countries, the second wave is coming back with a vengeance. Nobody, but nobody (and that includes you and me) knows the extent of our second wave because it hasn't happened yet. If it turns out to be a very shallow wave, that will even out the death totals and confirm that the later lockdown did no harm. This is why I have said throughout that it is far too early to criticise the government for taking advice from the medical people that the herd immunity theory was the one to follow before the panic set in.

To be perfectly clear, I am not saying that we won't get the full force of a second wave. No-one knows at this stage. But if we do, it really does confirm the futility of your lockdown solutions, doesn't it?

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

I agree with your second paragraph, nomad, but the first is not right. Herd immunity is just a fact of nature, it has not been eliminated.

It is because we have not yet acquired herd immunity that we are now seeing the start of a second wave. The measures we introduced have just slowed the process down and increased the risk of mutation.

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Except that it will still be there, waiting for the fools who think they've beaten it.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Covid 19 is also a problem in Communist Russia! Your theories are progressively becoming more bizarre!
More laughable nonsense Old Boy. A mere few posts ago you were questioning whether a vaccine would have lasting effects yet here you are advocating herd immunity again. There’s either lasting immunity or there isn’t. The contradictions are almost endless.

Nobody has all the answers, I agree with that, but some people have absolutely none. Nothing but noise filling a void in an empty hope that GDP will recover without solving the health emergency.

As ever Old Boy I’ve got extremely bad news for you. It’s going to be a long hard winter.

The only thing bizarre here is the fact you seem to contradict everything I say for the sake of it despite your track record of being proven wrong time and again. We’re never going to go down the Sweden route here so you better cross your fingers that the vaccine works and we get first dibs or this recession will go on for years.
Old 20-09-2020, 08:41   #5815
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with the protests, I’m curious why the police were so keen to disperse this one.

Given that they were quite happy to let recent BLM and Ext Reb ones take place recently?

http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...otest-12076069

Quote:
The Met's Superintendent Emma Richards aid: "We remain in the middle of a public health crisis, and by gathering in large numbers - such as today's protest - puts others at risk.
I’m not a conspiracy theorist but such a statement And subsequent police action is a conspiracy theorist’s dream.
Old 20-09-2020, 09:14   #5816
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Whilst I don’t necessarily agree with the protests, I’m curious why the police were so keen to disperse this one.

Given that they were quite happy to let recent BLM and Ext Reb ones take place recently?

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but such a statement And subsequent police action is a conspiracy theorist’s dream.
Obviously only certain types of protest put lives at risk.
Old 20-09-2020, 09:26   #5817
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Were the Covid conditions the same when all three protests took place?
Old 20-09-2020, 09:31   #5818
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Were the Covid conditions the same when all three protests took place?
The virus is now completely sentient and can distinguish between BLM protesters , eco terrorists and these people taking part in this protest,the virus will only attach itself to anti vaxxers and mask deniers, just as it won't attack you at work or in a school.
Old 20-09-2020, 09:33   #5819
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The Police (non) response to Ex Reb protests have made a rod for their own backs. They have no-one but themselves to blame.
Old 20-09-2020, 09:34   #5820
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

According to the government’s own 5 step plan, any future lock would only be applied if the NHS was in imminent threat of being overwhelmed. Which it is’n’t.

I think any future lockdowns or more restrictive measures should go through Parliament.