Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 14-09-2020, 12:03   #9961
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I’d also look at recent rights auctions... in Germany Amazon picked up 16 Champions League games... they got the top pick but the majority were picked up DAZN yet despite reported interest they didn’t make any significant moves for Bundesliga rights.

And don’t forget we only recently had a Champions League auction here before Christmas which would have been a prime (no pun intended) opportunity to make an impact yet they apparently ruled themselves out.

So it again does make me think why they would need to jump from a fairly careful, targeted strategy that appears to have been a success generating new Prime subs (which is the point of their strategy) to a whole new level? If shifting new Prime subs is indeed the goal, you’d have more success with one consistent game per week/round that builds Prime as an overall value proposition.

As I have said, I will never say never but I’d more minded to think DAZN will, assuming their financials can handle it, will be the ones attempting to spoil the party next year.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2020, 15:34   #9962
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
But NFL is big in USA - not so in UK.

As far as I am aware Amazon would be bidding for the UK rights not those in USA -so totally irrelevant to this discussion
The NFL have a 20 year + relationship with SKY. A new deal was signed for the next 5 years I believe in August so Amazon will not be getting NFL rights in the UK.
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...%20the%20sport.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 16:53   #9963
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
The NFL have a 20 year + relationship with SKY. A new deal was signed for the next 5 years I believe in August so Amazon will not be getting NFL rights in the UK.
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...%20the%20sport.
Hence the dedicated NFL channel
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 17:03   #9964
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Is it that straightforward? Channel 5 has just announced Monday Night Football deal with NFL.
https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1303249214554603521
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 17:12   #9965
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Is it that straightforward? Channel 5 has just announced Monday Night Football deal with NFL.
https://twitter.com/NFLUK/status/1303249214554603521
This is the free to air rights, BBC also have the Superbowl. Channel four, BBC and now channel 5 have all had these rights over the years.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:54   #9966
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Nor is it an argument that says they will - you keep trotting out the mantra that Amazon will compete with Sky/BT, it hasn't happened yet!
I've said that one of the streamers may make a serious bid for the rights to Premiership matches in the next bidding round. It might be Amazon, or it might be one or more of the global streamers.

There's no 'will' about it. Maybe they will, and maybe they won't. The annoying thing is that some people find it hard even to contemplate it!-
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:01   #9967
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I've said that one of the streamers may make a serious bid for the rights to Premiership matches in the next bidding round. It might be Amazon, or it might be one or more of the global streamers.

There's no 'will' about it. Maybe they will, and maybe they won't. The annoying thing is that some people find it hard even to contemplate it!-
You said that for the last round and it came to nothing despite the total value falling.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:11   #9968
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Yes, some of them. Some of them prefer to keep their money in their wallet and watch MOTD/Sportscene and listen on the radio.

The more providers the more expensive it is for those of the "must have access to everything" mindset. The other two aren't going to lower their prices to keep the overall cost the same just because a third provider comes to the market.
Indeed they do, and they will probably not alter their position on that, either.

If Amazon bought out the Sky or BT share, there would still be only two main providers.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Or any evidence that they can, or will!
Indeed, there is no absolute evidence either way. That's why your constant aggressive denials that it will ever happen is so inappropriate. To infer that companies like Amazon could not do this to suit their own objectives is frankly laughable.

I am not saying it WILL happen, because I don't have that information. I am saying that I believe it may well happen, based on the trends and media information that is out there. The cost of doing so is not a problem for Amazon or the other big global players.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:
You said that for the last round and it came to nothing despite the total value falling.
Read the posts again. I said I thought it could be either the last round or the 2022 round. Twisting it, as usual.
Old 14-09-2020, 19:18   #9969
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Is this another of the famous goal post shifts from Old Boy?

The shift to linear being done moving to 2035
Amazon making football cheaper now only a “maybe”
Now they can only blow Sky out the water in 2022 or later because (as yet unnamed market conditions shift)

Let me know if I’ve summarised that correctly.
Old 14-09-2020, 20:08   #9970
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Is this another of the famous goal post shifts from Old Boy?

The shift to linear being done moving to 2035
Amazon making football cheaper now only a “maybe”
Now they can only blow Sky out the water in 2022 or later because (as yet unnamed market conditions shift)

Let me know if I’ve summarised that correctly.
You haven't, as usual.

Incidentally, I do not have inside information (and neither do you) so nobody can say anything with any authority about what will happen in the future. I have shared my thoughts, that is all. There are no guarantees either way.

But then, to most of us, that's pretty obvious, isn't it? But no doubt you will continue to argue the toss and claim that I have solemnly promised these changes, which we can (nearly all) see is a fat load of cods.

However...
Old 15-09-2020, 10:24   #9971
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You haven't, as usual.

Incidentally, I do not have inside information (and neither do you) so nobody can say anything with any authority about what will happen in the future. I have shared my thoughts, that is all. There are no guarantees either way.

But then, to most of us, that's pretty obvious, isn't it? But no doubt you will continue to argue the toss and claim that I have solemnly promised these changes, which we can (nearly all) see is a fat load of cods.

However...
I’m not “arguing the toss” as you put it, I’m simply curious as to what you think changes between now and then? Consumer (and business) behaviour is driven by rational choices to generally drive up income (or profits) and down costs. Investments have to be weighed against all alternative uses - in the case of Amazon that could be engaging in almost any activity, anywhere in the world.

You seem to be rolling back your predictions for streaming fundamentalism on a regular basis now, and I do genuinely welcome that, I guess I’m just perplexed why you feel so strongly about the subject in the first place.
Old 15-09-2020, 10:51   #9972
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I’m not “arguing the toss” as you put it, I’m simply curious as to what you think changes between now and then? Consumer (and business) behaviour is driven by rational choices to generally drive up income (or profits) and down costs. Investments have to be weighed against all alternative uses - in the case of Amazon that could be engaging in almost any activity, anywhere in the world.

You seem to be rolling back your predictions for streaming fundamentalism on a regular basis now, and I do genuinely welcome that, I guess I’m just perplexed why you feel so strongly about the subject in the first place.
Not at all, that's what you have convinced yourself is the case.

Not only have I clarified from quite a long way back that I have no 'inside knowledge', I have been consistent in my views about which way I believe this is going. I have never waivered over 2035 - I still believe that by then the streamers will have taken over and most, if not all of the existing traditional TV channels will have disappeared. I still think that the streamers will take an interest in the next round of Premiership bidding. There is no inconsistency or backtracking. You just enjoy picking over the bones to try to derail the argument rather than having a sensible debate about it.

Yes, maybe I have miscalculated. Yes, I could be wrong. But so could you. I am at least prepared to acknowledge that. However, I am not yet shaken from my view that it will happen as I have outlined.

No need to get in a state about it. After all, it's just TV!
Old 15-09-2020, 14:26   #9973
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If there’s one thing I’m sure of Old Boy it’s that nobody on the forum believes your crystal ball gazing is based on inside knowledge.
Old 16-09-2020, 08:44   #9974
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If there’s one thing I’m sure of Old Boy it’s that nobody on the forum believes your crystal ball gazing is based on inside knowledge.
Nor is yours, jfman. Nor is yours. Let's get back to the subject of this thread.
Old 25-09-2020, 18:05   #9975
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

LaLigaTV and PremierSportsTV extend free period until October 15th on Sky and Premier Player.

https://twitter.com/LaLigaTV/status/1309523304936423424

https://www.premiersports.com/subscribenow