Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 04-09-2020, 09:54   #1231
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
Still nothing about Sky Sports/Cinemas UHD on VM. The new season starts a week tomorrow!
You would have thought if it was coming in the next week they would have announced it by now.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:47   #1232
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You would have thought if it was coming in the next week they would have announced it by now.
VM dont do that sadly Den guess they will when they launch it
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:50   #1233
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
VM dont do that sadly Den guess they will when they launch it
But the question is when will they launch it?.
Old 04-09-2020, 13:03   #1234
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Has the UHD channel even launched on Satellite from Sky themselves? Aside from Press Red UHD I mean.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 13:15   #1235
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
probably 12th when season starts my guess
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 18:01   #1236
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Has the UHD channel even launched on Satellite from Sky themselves? Aside from Press Red UHD I mean.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 21:09   #1237
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Nobody said anything about a UHD channel. UHD is red button on Sky..
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 21:33   #1238
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Would be great to see a linear channel. A sure fire sign that UHD has moved beyond niche and into the mainstream.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 21:37   #1239
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Nobody said anything about a UHD channel. UHD is red button on Sky..
Red Button UHD was available on Sky when the VM/Sky deal was announced. The wording of the VM/Sky deal, to my recollection and interpretation, was that new UHD that Sky was still to launch themselves was part of the VM deal. Which suggested to me that linear UHD channels were on the way. I assumed this would be one 4K Cinema channel and one 4K Sports channel, and an outside chance of a 4K Entertainment channel. Though I really didn't expect the latter.

The wording of the announcement (as I remember it) implied was that it was something that wasn't currently available via their own satellite service at the time of the Press Release.
Old 04-09-2020, 22:01   #1240
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Would be great to see a linear channel. A sure fire sign that UHD has moved beyond niche and into the mainstream.
That is the great vexed question.
Old 04-09-2020, 22:28   #1241
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Red Button UHD was available on Sky when the VM/Sky deal was announced. The wording of the VM/Sky deal, to my recollection and interpretation, was that new UHD that Sky was still to launch themselves was part of the VM deal. Which suggested to me that linear UHD channels were on the way. I assumed this would be one 4K Cinema channel and one 4K Sports channel, and an outside chance of a 4K Entertainment channel. Though I really didn't expect the latter.

The wording of the announcement (as I remember it) implied was that it was something that wasn't currently available via their own satellite service at the time of the Press Release.
Here is a press release from Sky at the time.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 23:40   #1242
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Here is a press release from Sky at the time.
Ta.

"As part of the extended deal, Sky’s stellar line up of entertainment, cinema and sports channels will continue to be available on Virgin Media’s TV platform, with Virgin customers set to enjoy new Ultra HD linear and additional video-on-demand content from Sky next year."

I guess that could be be interpreted as Red Button UHD, but if I was writing a press release to convey that that's not the way I'd phrase it, even if I was told to not to give too much specific detail.

That ambiguity sounded like a proper channel back then, to me, and the extended delay made it seem to me like it was referencing a service that Sky hadn't launched yet, as if it was simply the existing UHD Red Button it would have launched at the start of the year.

Makes no difference to me ultimately as I don't have Sky premium channels or a UHD TV, I'm simply interested in tech.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:36   #1243
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

To mean this sentence reads - they 'planned' to bring UHD to VM in 2020 - not they will bring UHD to VM in 2020

"Plans to bring Ultra HD programming to Virgin Media from next year"

The publicity text itself is not so vague - but Sky are notorious for announcing and not delivering.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44   #1244
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
To mean this sentence reads - they 'planned' to bring UHD to VM in 2020 - not they will bring UHD to VM in 2020

The publicity text itself is not so vague - but Sky are notorious for announcing and not delivering.
And there lies the message.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:36   #1245
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post

So are Virgin
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote