Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 27-06-2020, 22:09   #886
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
ive contacted them. just seems nonsencial to have so much missing
Time team was missing too I had to search it manually to find any episodes
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2020, 15:45   #887
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
The list of HD channels available on Virgin Media that aren't available on Sky continues to grow, with Sky dropping Animal Planet HD from July 1st.[COLOR="Silver"]

Ideally, they would get Spotify back.
You would think Sky (and other providers) would be dropping the SD versions over HD versions. Especially nature channels, or is this Sky wanting viewers to switch over to Sky Nature. Now TV removed Nat Geo Wild before Sky Nature launched too.

I wish Spotify would return to Virgin TV. It was the last straw a few years ago for me when they removed the app, I ditched my 3 Tivo's as we used Spotify daily through Tivo and my sound system.

I only got a V6 back because of a Black Friday deal last year. If Virgin added Disney+ and Spotify I would definitely stay in November. I do like everything on one box.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:44   #888
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
You would think Sky (and other providers) would be dropping the SD versions over HD versions. Especially nature channels, or is this Sky wanting viewers to switch over to Sky Nature. Now TV removed Nat Geo Wild before Sky Nature launched too.

I wish Spotify would return to Virgin TV. It was the last straw a few years ago for me when they removed the app, I ditched my 3 Tivo's as we used Spotify daily through Tivo and my sound system.

I only got a V6 back because of a Black Friday deal last year. If Virgin added Disney+ and Spotify I would definitely stay in November. I do like everything on one box.
I’m guessing Sky are no longer subsidising the cost of 3rd party HD channels like they have done in the past so for Discovery et al, it likely makes more sense for them to focus on their flagship linear channels and allow more HD content to be served via on demand only - their new deal with Sky is very much focused on direct to consumer products as well as video on demand so I’m not at all surprised if there is a decision to focus less resource/money on the linear channels.
Phunkenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 18:29   #889
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
I’m guessing Sky are no longer subsidising the cost of 3rd party HD channels like they have done in the past so for Discovery et al, it likely makes more sense for them to focus on their flagship linear channels and allow more HD content to be served via on demand only - their new deal with Sky is very much focused on direct to consumer products as well as video on demand so I’m not at all surprised if there is a decision to focus less resource/money on the linear channels.
That certainly appears to be the way it is going, although it will be a slow process.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 16:41   #890
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Update from VM today:

Quote:
Perfectly priced Personal Picks

Virgin Media’s Personal Picks now offer even better value so customers can build a personalised TV service for less. Personalised picks now start at £7 and each subsequent pack costs £5 per month. Personal Picks were previously priced at £10 for the first pick with each subsequent Pick costing £7 per month.

The Picks are available with Virgin Media’s Big bundle where customers can pick and mix a variety of channel packs – from entertainment and lifestyle, to drama, documentaries and sport. Picks can be added to a bundle instantly, and customers have the flexibility to remove them by simply giving 30 days’ notice.

Virgin Media will move exiting customers who are paying the previously available pricing for Personal Picks (£10 for one pick and £7 for each subsequent Pick) to the new, lower pricing, too.

Each Pick includes Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Comedy, Gold HD and Comedy Central HD, plus a number of HD channels, such as ITV 2 HD and Film 4HD, as well as a great selection of channels relating to each of the four genres, plus must-see box sets.

Jeff Dodds concluded: “Our Personal Picks offer the best way to watch the best TV on a budget – where you’re in control of what’s on the box – with the freedom to add Picks whenever you want and the flexibility to change them each month.

“So if you fancy Family Guy on Fox, want to dive in to the Deadliest Catch on Discovery or want to be entertained on E! by the Kardashians, you can pick and mix your Picks and build a top telly line-up.”

Customers can also add a range of premium TV packs to their bundle such as Sky Sports, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport, as well as subscribe to Netflix, Prime Video and Starzplay.

On top of this, Bigger and Ultimate Oomph customers can experience blockbuster entertainment and sport in stunning 4K Ultra High Definition with the Virgin TV Ultra HD and BT Sport Ultimate channels.

All customers can enjoy their favourite shows included in their bundle on the move with the Virgin TV Go app which can be accessed across multiple devices such as mobiles, tablets and laptops. Customers can watch live TV, catch up and on-demand box sets and Bigger and Ultimate Oomph customers can also download a host of shows to watch offline.
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...-value-bundles

Quote:
Personal Picks:

Virgin Media’s Personal Picks are now priced at £7 per month for the first Pick with each subsequent Pick costing £5 per month. Personal Picks were previously priced at £10 for the first pick with each subsequent Pick costing £7 per month.

Each Entertainment pick includes five core channels (currently not included in the Mixit bundle): Sky One, Sky Comedy, Sky Witness, Gold HD, Comedy Central HD, as well as a suite of HD channels; ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD, ITV 4 HD, ITV Be HD, E4 HD, Dave HD, More 4HD and Film 4HD. Each pick includes a range of on-demand box sets.

Drama Pick:

Also includes W HD, Alibi HD, Universal, Fox HD, Syfy, TCM HD, Sky 2 and Movies 24

Documentaries Pick:

Also includes Sky History HD, C&I HD, Discovery HD, Sky Arts, Animal Planet HD, Discovery History, Discovery Science, Sky History 2 HD, DMAX, Eden HD, National Geographic HD, Discovery Shed , Discovery Turbo, I.D and Love Nature HD

Lifestyle Pick:

Also includes Sky Crime, TLC HD, E!, Lifetime HD Comedy Central Extra, Home and Health, MTV HD, MTV Live HD, MTV Hits, MTV Base, MTV Music, MTV Rocks, MTV OMG, Club MTV, The Box, Box Hits, Kiss, Magic and Kerrang!

Sport Lite Pick:

Also includes Sky Sports News, Sky Sports Mix, Eurosport 1 HD and Eurosport 2 HD
Surprisingly, they haven't taken the opportunity to move DMAX down to Mixit TV, so they are still charging extra for this channel widely available on Freeview / Freesat.

In typical VM style, a few anomalies:

- Universal is listed in the Drama Pick, which closed back in January.

- No mention of Sky Documentaries HD and Sky Nature HD, which were both included in the Documentaries Pick according to:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...s_May_2020.pdf
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:29   #891
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Thanks SonicMaster.

The Personal Pick pricing is certainly more sensible and attractive. I wonder how long the legacy tier will last for.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 17:44   #892
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Thanks SonicMaster.

The Personal Pick pricing is certainly more sensible and attractive. I wonder how long the legacy tier will last for.
Yes, this £3 reduction for both the first and subsequent picks is a good move.

I'm still not sure how good value they are though. Say I had the Entertainment & Documentaries Pick for £7, it's an extra £5 just to add the 4 Sport Lite Pick channels or the 7 Drama Pick channels. £1 per channel for the sport ones!

Another change is that Sky Comedy is now included in every pick, rather than just the Drama Pick.

Last edited by SonicMaster; 29-06-2020 at 17:48.
Old 29-06-2020, 18:02   #893
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
- No mention of Sky Documentaries HD and Sky Nature HD, which were both included in the Documentaries Pick according to:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...s_May_2020.pdf
I think that's the bit that is wrong so I see if I can get it fed back. The press release for them only mentioned Maxit

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...aries-channels
Quote:
Sky Documentaries (channel 277) and Sky Nature (channel 279) is available to all Maxit TV (previously named Full House) customers at no extra cost.
Old 29-06-2020, 18:34   #894
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think that's the bit that is wrong so I see if I can get it fed back. The press release for them only mentioned Maxit

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...aries-channels
Thanks Ben.

On the Channel Guide it has the '+' for Personal Picks next to both channels.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide
Old 29-06-2020, 19:25   #895
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks Ben.

On the Channel Guide it has the '+' for Personal Picks next to both channels.

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-channel-guide
You should get VM TV free given all the proof-reading you do for them.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 20:20   #896
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You should get VM TV free given all the proof-reading you do for them.
Old 29-06-2020, 22:25   #897
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

It's been a while since I looked at the Channel Guide and noticed the '+' for Personal Picks is on channels 704-732 for the Maxit package.

Also the HD variants of Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Crime, Sky Arts and E! are not listed as picks, is that another omission - or me overlooking something?
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 23:38   #898
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder if low take up (or the economic effects of Covid-19) has prompted this? Either way, it's good news.

If I reduce from Full House to this system, will this reset my contract though?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 20:42   #899
SonicMaster
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
It's been a while since I looked at the Channel Guide and noticed the '+' for Personal Picks is on channels 704-732 for the Maxit package.

Also the HD variants of Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Crime, Sky Arts and E! are not listed as picks, is that another omission - or me overlooking something?
'+' for Personal Picks next to channels 704-732 for the Maxit TV package is correct, because none of the kids channels are included in Maxit TV, and all customers must pay an extra £5 to add them.

The HD variants of Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Comedy, Sky Crime, Sky Arts SYFY and E! are not included in the Personal Picks, they're all Full House and Maxit TV only.
Old 30-06-2020, 21:39   #900
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Thanks SonicMaster - quite obvious when you look at the chart properly
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote