Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures
Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2020, 23:33   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Exclamation Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

Dominic Cummings went to visit, and live, with his parents in Durham (260 miles away) whilst he had the virus! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52779356
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2020, 23:38   #2
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Dominic Cummings went to visit, and live, with his parents in Durham (260 miles away) whilst he had the virus! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52779356
He seems to have crossed over the line to become the news item itself. Not a good career move.

However, these comments from FT readers suggest there may be more to it than meets the eye:
"I was wondering how the little reptile was going to wriggle his way out of having to be there for the denouement of his brexit fiasco..."
"Spot on. He's very manipulative and I wouldn't be surprised if he's done this on purpose."
https://www.ft.com/content/c55a5daf-...f-8460242dff72

Last edited by 1andrew1; 23-05-2020 at 00:00.
Old 22-05-2020, 23:57   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Oooops.
Old 23-05-2020, 00:15   #4
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Timeline here
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...own-a-timeline
Old 23-05-2020, 00:51   #5
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:

What's that then, a hefty 'show em who's boss' fine of £100?
Old 23-05-2020, 05:49   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Given what both happened to Niall Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood and you were PM what would you do?.
Old 23-05-2020, 08:12   #7
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Some other Tories and some people from Vote Leave have it in for him as well so it's not as if there is widespread support from him within the party or even with his former allies.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:11   #8
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And who doesn't go to his mum when he's ill ?
Old 23-05-2020, 09:12   #9
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Didn't he have a reasonable excuse for the journey, which is permitted by the regulations?

He and his wife were ill and there were problems looking after their children, as I understand matters.

Seems OK to me - parents have to make their judgements and this is a free country.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:17   #10
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I thought it was just advice, i mean Boris went to Chequers[second home] instead of returning to Downing st after his illness.

Last edited by papa smurf; 23-05-2020 at 09:22.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:34   #11
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Didn't he have a reasonable excuse for the journey, which is permitted by the regulations?

He and his wife were ill and there were problems looking after their children, as I understand matters.

Seems OK to me - parents have to make their judgements and this is a free country.

Not according to the Government's guidelines. If you have CV-19 symptoms then the Government's clear instructions were to stay at home and self-isolate. The legislation was enacted very swiftly so may be imperfect and I don't know how prosecutable it is.
But Cummings' actions gives the impression that he feels rules are for little people.
He should now do the honourable thing and resign before the next Prime Minister's Questions.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I thought it was just advice, i mean Boris went to Chequers[second home] instead of returning to Downing st after his illness.
After not during.
I wouldn't have wanted to use the petrol pump after Cummings had filled up his car.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 23-05-2020 at 09:37.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:53   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Durham police believe it breached the rules.
Quote:
Police confirmed they had visited an individual at an address in the city who they had learned had travelled to Durham from London during the lockdown to self-isolate.

They spoke to the family and reminded them that travelling to stay with relatives was in breach of the rules.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...uring-18299781

Cummings’ parents are in their 70s, and the government guidelines state
Quote:
Clinically vulnerable people are those who are:

aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
And it states that these people (70 and over) should take particular care to minimise contact with anyone outside their household.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 23-05-2020 at 10:15.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:57   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not according to the Government's guidelines. If you have CV-19 symptoms then the Government's clear instructions were to stay at home and self-isolate. The legislation was enacted very swiftly so may be imperfect and I don't know how prosecutable it is.
But Cummings' actions gives the impression that he feels rules are for little people.

He should now do the honourable thing and resign before the next Prime Minister's Questions.

When people are prevented from attending the funerals of their loved ones and from meeting critically ill family members and from doing all sorts of normal interactions in the great interests of preserving the nation's health.

You simply cannot have one law for one and one law for another as Niall Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood had to resign because they broke the rules so what makes Dominic Cummings different.

It is rank hypocrisy no if's, no but's, and no maybe's and the public who are not stupid will see it like that..
Old 23-05-2020, 10:20   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-bring-clarity (Open in an "incognito" window to read full article in The Spectator, if you’re not a subscriber).

According to his wife’s account, she was throwing up, and he went to their home immediately (good man doing the right thing) to look after her, but then, within 24 hours, had collapsed.

Quote:
My version of the virus began with a nasty headache and a grubby feeling of unease, after which I threw up on the bathroom floor. ‘That’s disgusting, Mum,’ said my four-year-old son, handing me a towel with a look of patronising distaste.

I’ve never known a bug treat its victims so differently. My friends have reported stabbing sore throats, a loss of taste and smell, and numbness in their fingertips. The Huazhong university in Wuhan has just updated its list of official first symptoms which now includes: headache, dizziness, muscle inflammation, fever, diarrhoea, vomiting and coughing.

One slight but sad effect of this great variation in symptoms is that it makes phoning friends to share Covid stories peculiarly unsatisfying. ‘Weren’t the muscle aches awful? Oh, you didn’t get them. Nope, no sore throat for me. Oh well.’

My son, in his doctor’s uniform, administered Ribena with the grim insistence of a Broadmoor nurse.

That evening, as I lay on the sofa, a happy thought occurred to me: if this was the virus, then my husband, who works 16-hour days as a rule, would have to come home. I let myself imagine a fortnight in bed with ‘mild symptoms’, chatting to Dom and son through an open door. More fool me.

My husband did rush home to look after me. He’s an extremely kind man, whatever people assume to the contrary. But 24 hours later, he said ‘I feel weird’ and collapsed. I felt breathless, sometimes achy, but Dom couldn’t get out of bed. Day in, day out for ten days he lay doggo with a high fever and spasms that made the muscles lump and twitch in his legs. He could breathe, but only in a limited, shallow way.
I wonder when they travelled to Durham?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:24   #15
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
When people are prevented from attending the funerals of their loved ones and from meeting critically ill family members and from doing all sorts of normal interactions in the great interests of preserving the nation's health.

You simply cannot have one law for one and one law for another as Niall Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood had to resign because they broke the rules so what makes Dominic Cummings different.

It is rank hypocrisy no if's, no but's, and no maybe's and the public who are not stupid will see it like that..
It undermines the whole effort to stop the virus spreading. If any doubts about following the rules are placed in people's minds - eg the Government doesn't follow its own advice so why should I? - then the R-rate will start rising and we'll have to return to a stricter lockdown.

What potentially makes Dominic Cummings different from Niall Ferguson and Catherine Calderwood is that Boris Johnson is dependent on Dominic Cummings.

He now needs to salvage Dominic Cummings' scant reputation by getting him to resign. Will he return like a bad penny? Doubtless, but Boris Johnson needs to send a clear message out to the country. And that message shouldn't be rules are just for little people.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wonder when they travelled to Durham?
Timeline posted previously, but worth a repost. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...own-a-timeline
Closed Thread